What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

ash411

Bench
Would the coach decide the price they are willing to pay for a player or the football manager/CEO
I'm guess the coach would have the most input there.

Coach would say how much he wants to spend, FM would say how much he can/cannot spend?

for example:
Coach: I want him, 800K
FM: we can afford 750K

something like that perhaps?

hindy111

Post Whore
^^ from same link above

Luke Walsh is hunting an NRL return – after being nudged out of St Helens.

Saints will this week tie up a move for Wigan No.7 Matty Smith, which will force out-of-contract Walsh, 29, to look elsewhere.

The former Panthers half has been in good form and while he is thought to be favouring a return home, is likely to attract interest from Super League sides as well.

Just cause the guy played for the Panthers Doesnt mean he was any good - Gee
Not even sure the Duke was around while he was there- A big no thanks

Is there anything stopping a club setting up an academy to convert soccer discards (or others) into halfbacks? They wouldn't even have to play in any comp, just practice. It seems like halves with good kicking games are pretty rare, and cost a boatload under the cap.

lingard

Coach
Talk of Farah going to Souths which opens the door for Cameron McInnes. I actually don't mind him. Tough young kid and a decent passing game. Has struggled with consistency this year but then that's been the whole story for Souths.
I agree. We really need a hooker - De Goise is getting older, and Pritchard is never going to make it in my opinion.

lingard

Coach
Is there anything stopping a club setting up an academy to convert soccer discards (or others) into halfbacks? They wouldn't even have to play in any comp, just practice. It seems like halves with good kicking games are pretty rare, and cost a boatload under the cap.

Actually, Paul Morris, the Newtown five-eight was a soccer player who turned into a good first grade number 6 and incredible goal kicker. The main problem with your academy, though, would be what to call it and how to get soccer players interested.

lingard

Coach

Coach would say how much he wants to spend, FM would say how much he can/cannot spend?

for example:

The football manager sounds like my wife.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

The only thing stopping them is that they'd miss the most important stages of development 14-20 so they'd be starting off at basically nothing when it comes to defence. There's also much more to a halves' game than just kicking, I can only think of one half who is in the competition basically for his kicking and that's Adam Reynolds but boy is he good at it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just as important as their kicking game is their defence. Good luck finding a bloke who can tackle, who has only ever played soccer.

Actually, Paul Morris, the Newtown five-eight was a soccer player who turned into a good first grade number 6 and incredible goal kicker. The main problem with your academy, though, would be what to call it and how to get soccer players interested.
The Super Happy Funtime Get Rich Quick Academy? The Half-Way House?

The only thing stopping them is that they'd miss the most important stages of development 14-20 so they'd be starting off at basically nothing when it comes to defence. There's also much more to a halves' game than just kicking, I can only think of one half who is in the competition basically for his kicking and that's Adam Reynolds but boy is he good at it.
Just as important as their kicking game is their defence. Good luck finding a bloke who can tackle, who has only ever played soccer.
I don't know that teaching a smart bloke how to tackle would take forever. Obviously you'd go for the ones with a decent build and the right attitude. You could just beat the shit out of them in training for however long it takes, or until you cut them.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I don't know that teaching a smart bloke how to tackle would take forever. Obviously you'd go for the ones with a decent build and the right attitude. You could just beat the shit out of them in training for however long it takes, or until you cut them.

It takes a while, there's a fair few Under 20's players who still don't know how to do it and they've been in an NRL system since they were 15/16. The ones with a decent build and the right attitude would be playing their given sport, soccer.

strider

Post Whore

for example:

Im willing to bet the convo is more

Coach: I want him 700k
FM: His manager wants 900k

It takes a while, there's a fair few Under 20's players who still don't know how to do it and they've been in an NRL system since they were 15/16. The ones with a decent build and the right attitude would be playing their given sport, soccer.
They wouldn't necessarily be in soccer still as the sports require different things. Perhaps they just didn't fit any particular niche, or weren't quite good enough. By build I mean suitable for league, and by attitude I mean not timid, amongst other things.
Lingard has already pointed out one who did it successfully, and that's without the help of an academy, so clearly it's possible.

Latest posts