What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
I don't think we need to rush into signing a halfback just yet. I would be happy if we just gave French a go there with Gutherson at fullback, if the right half back isn't available.

It may or may not work, but French has the talent to do it.

But not the physique.

The Colonel

Immortal
There are plenty of rumours of shuffling going on genuine the scenes at clubs ALL around the NRL and the ESL.

Elgey, Cullen, Taylor, Hayne and Roberts at the Titans. Martin, Cleary and Cartwright at the Panthers. Reynolds at Souths. Hastings at the Roosters. They are the ones there are whispers about. Still plenty to happen in this off season.

strider

Post Whore
How many top line halves have been released between Christmas and Round 1 in recent years? I might be wrong but I can't think of many. It is much more likely to happen with outside backs and mid range forwards as they are easily replaceable.
Fair point ... and i mostly agree ... though nrl is changing ... it wasnt long ago no one left mid contract ... now its a massive part of the goings on ... so maybe a half merry go round is the next step??

strider

Post Whore
I think it's a good way to identify if they are a good fit for the club moving forward without locking yourself into an option long term. It's no more of a risk than having Robbo or IDG as your first choice halves (and in IDG's case possibly for two years).

However, I'll take Staggers word that they haven't been signed as our first choice 9 and 7 next year.
You're only looking at it from the clubs point of view ... the player's point of view (and his manager) will be massively different and thats where i reckon it can go wrong ... his mind will be elsewhere pretty much from the start - then what happens if he does actually sign elsewhere mid season - theres a fair risk he might be more worried about the future than the now

Noise

Coach
What would you prefer, a Spine to rival the Knights or Foran on $1.2 million under thr cap?

I'd prefer we as a club don't get into positions where we have to decide between the worst spine in the comp or the bloke with the worst off field problems in the comp

Happy MEel

First Grade
You're only looking at it from the clubs point of view ... the player's point of view (and his manager) will be massively different and thats where i reckon it can go wrong ... his mind will be elsewhere pretty much from the start - then what happens if he does actually sign elsewhere mid season - theres a fair risk he might be more worried about the future than the now
I can certainly see value from a player's perspective to sign a one year deal if their form has been down leading up to contract negotiations so you're not locked into a lower value contract long term. You can earn more by signing a one year contract to fill a gap and back yourself to improve and earn more in subsequent years.

Foran is a prime example as his value has dropped dramatically and so there has been plenty of speculation that his next contract will only be one year.

Noise

Coach
Might be a few more 1 year deals happening than usual as the bump in salary cap occurs for 2018. (i think)

Avenger

Immortal
There are plenty of rumours of shuffling going on genuine the scenes at clubs ALL around the NRL and the ESL.

Elgey, Cullen, Taylor, Hayne and Roberts at the Titans. Martin, Cleary and Cartwright at the Panthers. Reynolds at Souths. Hastings at the Roosters. They are the ones there are whispers about. Still plenty to happen in this off season.
Hayne? The affect of his signing or him in particular ?

I'd lean towards getting a decent half even if you don't really want them for two years. Teams are usually able to get rid of unwanted players these days, even if you have to pay a bit. And the position is important enough that I think you should take that risk. Either that or go the bulldog's route and get some big ball-playing forwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd prefer we as a club don't get into positions where we have to decide between the worst spine in the comp or the bloke with the worst off field problems in the comp
And how do we avoid getting into those positions, especially after the fact?

Since 2011 we have been in the position of having to take big risks to try to get ahead. The lowest risk option always supports the status quo, which means it benefits the top teams and hurts the bottom teams.

Noise

Coach
And how do we avoid getting into those positions, especially after the fact?

Since 2011 we have been in the position of having to take big risks to try to get ahead. The lowest risk option always supports the status quo, which means it benefits the top teams and hurts the bottom teams.

Plenty of teams who have been shit for a number of years have got their way out of it by improving their spine with good decision making.

Don't buy and re-sign journeyman in several spine positions. Don't blow the bank on blokes with mental health issues. Don't release future origin players. Develop successful U20s and NSW Cup teams that produces blokes in key positions ready for first grade.

All these things would help in avoiding getting into those positions. And clubs that have improved from being shit for long periods have certainly done these types of things. It would be nice if we could too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plenty of teams who have been shit for a number of years have got their way out of it by improving their spine with good decision making.

Don't buy and re-sign journeyman in several spine positions. Don't blow the bank on blokes with mental health issues. Don't release future origin players. Develop successful U20s and NSW Cup teams that produces blokes in key positions ready for first grade.

All these things would help in avoiding getting into those positions. And clubs that have improved from being shit for long periods have certainly done these types of things. It would be nice if we could too.
These decisions all take time. They are not quick fixes, and our members haven't allowed our boards to enable any coach to do that.

Gronk

Staff member
I just don't think IDG and Robbo are even back up quality these days. I'm not complaining that we haven't landed a top line 9 or 7 yet and I know the both of them are only back ups but I'd rather promote a kid then watch either of them plod around anywhere for another season with us.
Promote a kid ? Which one from NYC merkin ? Awful.