What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
Robson has been re-signed as a backup and to mentor kids coming through. BA is on the lookout for replacements for Foz and Peats. Both of these players had to leave unexpectedly and now need to be replaced.

What if Robson and IDG are our first choice starters ? What if we sign Reynolds and he does his ACL ? We just have to manage with what we have.

Clicky
That article is talking about a post career mentoring position. It now seems this position might have turned into a playing role.

Robbo and IDG are good backups if that's how they are exclusively used. It's only early so we have to wait and see what the final 2017 playing roster is, but if we do go into next year with either of these two as first choice options then I can't accept that.

We've been rebuilding for the last 6 or 7 years and it is simply not good enough to waste another year waiting for another half option in 2018.

The current origin hooker has become available, as well as decent 1st graders in Baptiste off contract.

If we need to pay overs for a short term half next year (eg. Hastings) until our main target becomes available in 2018 then so be it. We have the cap space so it's worth using.

Gronk

Staff member
That article is talking about a post career mentoring position. It now seems this position might have turned into a playing role.

Robbo and IDG are good backups if that's how they are exclusively used. It's only early so we have to wait and see what the final 2017 playing roster is, but if we do go into next year with either of these two as first choice options then I can't accept that.

We've been rebuilding for the last 6 or 7 years and it is simply not good enough to waste another year waiting for another half option in 2018.

The current origin hooker has become available, as well as decent 1st graders in Baptiste off contract.

If we need to pay overs for a short term half next year (eg. Hastings) until our main target becomes available in 2018 then so be it. We have the cap space so it's worth using.

If you pay overs for an OK rookie then you won't be able to afford a gun 7 in 2018. Hastings will want 2/3 years. You need to balance the books now with Mad Max in charge of the cheque book.

IMHO we'll either sign a gun 7 or maybe another Jamal and let them slog it out. Also don't judge Robson on what he and Gutho have produced. As BA said on Sterlo, we would be a completely different side if Norman was playing. I reckon BA rates Norman as good as any 7 on the market. He knows that we need a good partner for him but he's not going to panic.

Happy MEel

First Grade
If you pay overs for an OK rookie then you won't be able to afford a gun 7 in 2018. Hastings will want 2/3 years. You need to balance the books now with Mad Max in charge of the cheque book.

IMHO we'll either sign a gun 7 or maybe another Jamal and let them slog it out. Also don't judge Robson on what he and Gutho have produced. As BA said on Sterlo, we would be a completely different side if Norman was playing. I reckon BA rates Norman as good as any 7 on the market. He knows that we need a good partner for him but he's not going to panic.
If you offer enough money they will come for however long you want. Hastings value has gone down now so it could be in his best interests to sign a moderate one year deal to bump his price up for a longer term deal from 2018.

Can I judge Robbo on what he offered the Warriors or us previously?

Gronk

Staff member
If you offer enough money they will come for however long you want. Hastings value has gone down now so it could be in his best interests to sign a moderate one year deal to bump his price up for a longer term deal from 2018.

Permission granted.

Gronk

Staff member
Did we see this ?

Gutherson welcomed the vote of confidence Arthur had shown in the club and players by recently agreeing to extend his deal by two years through to 2019.
Link

So far we have Kenny, Norman and Gutho all confirmed as extending.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Given how the player markert rolled on last summer, it'll take a brave man to think that our squad will be settled this side of Christmas... Anything can happen and it's been proven in the past, hence why our head coach is willing to sit back and wait what happens, he's obviously got wind where the cards may fall in our advantage...
IDG and Robo have not been retained to be our first choice 9 and 7..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why do you have to be so negative all the time????

Always having a differing of opinion and questioning decisions made at the club.
You shouldn't have an opinion at all, you should just blindly cheer at everything the club does it's what a true fan does and it's why we have been such a #powerhouse the last 30 odd years.
What should the club have done differently? In your opinion

strider

Post Whore

Do you think a player who wants a long term deal somewhere would have their mind in the right place on a 1 year deal? ... i reckon it would be quite a risk throwing bucketloads at some one you do not want long term

IFR33K

Coach
Given how the player markert rolled on last summer, it'll take a brave man to think that our squad will be settled this side of Christmas... Anything can happen and it's been proven in the past, hence why our head coach is willing to sit back and wait what happens, he's obviously got wind where the cards may fall in our advantage...

I can't like this post enough, but I'm sure it's not enough to keep the whingers at bay.

IFR33K

Coach
Do you think a player who wants a long term deal somewhere would have their mind in the right place on a 1 year deal? ... i reckon it would be quite a risk throwing bucketloads at some one you do not want long term

Do we even know the roosters want to let him go???? Smh

Noise

Coach
How many top line halves have been released between Christmas and Round 1 in recent years? I might be wrong but I can't think of many. It is much more likely to happen with outside backs and mid range forwards as they are easily replaceable.

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's good enough for me. :thumbsup:

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think it's a good way to identify if they are a good fit for the club moving forward without locking yourself into an option long term. It's no more of a risk than having Robbo or IDG as your first choice halves (and in IDG's case possibly for two years).

However, I'll take Staggers word that they haven't been signed as our first choice 9 and 7 next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
How many top line halves have been released between Christmas and Round 1 in recent years? I might be wrong but I can't think of many. It is much more likely to happen with outside backs and mid range forwards as they are easily replaceable.

What happened last summer was highly unusual, so for BA to make the comment he did a few weeks back would tell you that he forecasts the same to happen and he's closer to the situation than most.
I totally trust him on this..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed. Signing players on a one year contract can be a massive distraction, as they are off contract as soon as they sign up.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What should the club have done differently? In your opinion
I just don't think IDG and Robbo are even back up quality these days. I'm not complaining that we haven't landed a top line 9 or 7 yet and I know the both of them are only back ups but I'd rather promote a kid then watch either of them plod around anywhere for another season with us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just don't think IDG and Robbo are even back up quality these days. I'm not complaining that we haven't landed a top line 9 or 7 yet and I know the both of them are only back ups but I'd rather promote a kid then watch either of them plod around anywhere for another season with us.
I think you underestimate just how bad a rookie can be in any given game. The only real reason to play them in first grade is to develop them for the future. Robson and De Gois aren't going to lose you a game when called upon, whereas Latrell Mitchell, for all his talent, has already lost the Roosters a couple of games this year - including Corey Norman's last game, where his kicking game suddenly resembled Jonathan Thurston's.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think we need to rush into signing a halfback just yet. I would be happy if we just gave French a go there with Gutherson at fullback, if the right half back isn't available.

It may or may not work, but French has the talent to do it.

Latest posts