What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Incorrect

Coach
For what it's worth, I suspect we'd have to pay more than he's worth to get him. But bringing him in for slight overs is a better use of our cap than not signing anyone for 2019. We'll win more games with him than without him.
Look, I'm not completely against the signing... The question marks for me are, Which Isaac Luke are we getting? He's your stereotypical hot/cold proposition type player. Last year was his best season as a Warrior, which coincided with his need to find a new deal. His 1st or 2nd year at the Warriors (can't remember which) was terrible, overweight, disinterested.... His tenure at Souths had similar hallmarks. I think a deal for 2019 with an option in our favour for 2020 (like the Knights were pushing) would have been more palatable

Bazal

Post Whore
That's all well and good. I don't see us making the 8, so why throw your granny's poker machine money away on a beat up 'has been'? It's about time we started thinking a whole lot smarter if we want to go places in the NRL.

2018 was one of the best seasons Luke has played.

Injury is the worry here, not ability. The bloke would be a fantastic guy to have Mahoney/Schneider learn the ropes from

Incorrect

Coach
Lol. Literally no one has said that, have they?

Anyway the fact that the Warriors managed to sign a bloke for well under his value doesn't mean that he'll uproot his family and head to another country for an extra 20k...

Luke is worth around 300k odd for sure. Given hooker is our weakest position it's stands to reason we'd be more desperate than some others and willing to pay a bit more.
Literally? No

But read between the lines in Gronks posts and the angle is 350K is established value and we had to pay it so good-o, let's get on with it.

I suggested an extra 75K this year plus 225K next year would a decent inducement to get him over here. That's 300K. More than generous and a far cry from 20K you pulled from somewhere. And plenty of professionals would do a 2 year stint in another country and leave their family in their established surroundings if need be, so that point is negligible IMO.

eels_fan

First Grade
You’d have to think if we only offered $225k, the warriors would just match it to keep him, as they have said is their right, they can choose to match any offer he is given and if they do so, his release is not granted. Given they have buckets of cash now Johnson has gone, you’d think they’ll match anything close

Bazal

Post Whore
Literally? No

But read between the lines in Gronks posts and the angle is 350K is established value and we had to pay it so good-o, let's get on with it.

I suggested an extra 75K this year plus 225K next year would a decent inducement to get him over here. That's 300K. More than generous and a far cry from 20K you pulled from somewhere. And plenty of professionals would do a 2 year stint in another country and leave their family in their established surroundings if need be, so that point is negligible IMO.

Well if I wanted to use your argument and reverse it, the fact that the Warriors managed to get him on genuine unders is no more an established reflection of his actual value than the Newcastle offer. In fact I'd suggest that the clause we're looking to exploit means that the Warriors well and truly understand they've got him on huge unders.

At the end of the day, his actual value to us is whatever we offer him, plain as that. I completely disagree that 350k average is anywhere near the massive overs you're suggesting. The guy has had an injury, sure, but he's an international hooker coming off one of his best years. We have a desperate need at hooker and he'd fill it nicely.

Just because he's on unders now doesn't mean we can also get him on unders as a result, essentially.

Eelogical

Referee
2018 was one of the best seasons Luke has played.

Injury is the worry here, not ability. The bloke would be a fantastic guy to have Mahoney/Schneider learn the ropes from
How can they learn from Luke while they are warming a bench? Better off spending money on a noted ex-hooker IMO.

Incorrect

Coach
Well if I wanted to use your argument and reverse it, the fact that the Warriors managed to get him on genuine unders is no more an established reflection of his actual value than the Newcastle offer. In fact I'd suggest that the clause we're looking to exploit means that the Warriors well and truly understand they've got him on huge unders.

At the end of the day, his actual value to us is whatever we offer him, plain as that. I completely disagree that 350k average is anywhere near the massive overs you're suggesting. The guy has had an injury, sure, but he's an international hooker coming off one of his best years. We have a desperate need at hooker and he'd fill it nicely.

Just because he's on unders now doesn't mean we can also get him on unders as a result, essentially.
I get all of that... Or most of it anyway.. ..

I'm still just having a hard time understanding how a bloke on 150K for 1 year would be able to stand ground in negotiations and realistically knock back any 2 year deal totalling say, 450K... Even Obi Wan Kenobi with his Jedi mind trick wouldn't try and pull that shit off....

Bazal

Post Whore
How can they learn from Luke while they are warming a bench? Better off spending money on a noted ex-hooker IMO.

No you're right.

It's not like they play together, train together, or spend any time together whatsoever as a club...players most certainly never learn from their team mates.

Bazal

Post Whore

I'm still just having a hard time understanding how a bloke on 150K for 1 year would be able to stand ground in negotiations and realistically knock back any 2 year deal totalling say, 450K... Even Obi Wan Kenobi with his Jedi mind trick wouldn't try and pull that shit off....

Offer enough and his decision is easy.

He is also under contract as someone else said. The clause doesn't automatically release him. Why wouldn't the Warriors just match an extra 75K?

I just think there are far more variables than you've acknowledged.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Obviously the amount reported may not be totally correct (his current contract and eels offer)

Also it is quite possible considering they have cap space available with SJ leaving that the negotiation is not as simple as between eels/Luke and is actually a 3 way negotiation with eels/warriors/Luke with the warriors willing to increase his contract (quite possible with their cap space, needing experience in their spine and Luke’s recovery from his injury).

Incorrect

Coach
Obviously the amount reported may not be totally correct (his current contract and eels offer)

Also it is quite possible considering they have cap space available with SJ leaving that the negotiation is not as simple as between eels/Luke and is actually a 3 way negotiation with eels/warriors/Luke with the warriors willing to increase his contract (quite possible with their cap space, needing experience in their spine and Luke’s recovery from his injury).
Yep... And this is the danger of giving too much credence to some reports on some occasions and less to others at other times depending on the argument you're (not you personally) making...

strider

Post Whore
Parramatta

falling-down-house-sept-23-breakout.jpg
Broncos dont have a skylight like we do .... eh!

strider

Post Whore
Whatever the mechanics of the deal are, it's still a noodle scratcher trying to figure out why a bloke attracting no other offers (that we know of, especially 3 weeks out from season kick off) and whose current contract is apparently 150K with 1 season to run, is all of a sudden about to receive a 700K pay day.... Our negotiation skills sound like Kramer's in that episode of Seinfeld when he jumped in and accepted free coffee from the coffee chain just before they were about to offer a huge cash settlement!!!

"Mr Kramer, can we offer you a coffee?"
Kramer - "I'll take it!!!!

Mark O'Neill - "So Isaac, you're currently on a 1 year contract for 2019 worth 150K"
Isaac Luke - "Yeah that's right bro"
Mark O'Neill - "I see..... Would you be prepared to come to us for 700K for 2 years?"
Isaac Luke - "Are you high bro?"
Mark O'Neil - "Almost always Ivan"
Isaac Luke - "I'll take it!!!"
FFS they offered Kramer free coffee for a year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's all well and good. I don't see us making the 8, so why throw your granny's poker machine money away on a beat up 'has been'? It's about time we started thinking a whole lot smarter if we want to go places in the NRL.
I'm sure we'd all prefer to win 11 or 12 games than 9 games. Luke won't cost us our future.

strider

Post Whore
Look, I'm not completely against the signing... The question marks for me are, Which Isaac Luke are we getting? He's your stereotypical hot/cold proposition type player. Last year was his best season as a Warrior, which coincided with his need to find a new deal. His 1st or 2nd year at the Warriors (can't remember which) was terrible, overweight, disinterested.... His tenure at Souths had similar hallmarks. I think a deal for 2019 with an option in our favour for 2020 (like the Knights were pushing) would have been more palatable
Yeah im not particularly keen on signing him .... he definitely has questionable desire levels .... and he is a grub ... i like us to have some merkin, but he is just a grub

Latest posts