What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Parramatta Eels 'dunces' for trying to sign Issac Luke

“They’ve got to start thinking about the future, not the quick fix.”
The Parramatta Eels have been labelled ‘dunces’ for reportedly pursuing veteran Warriors hooker Issac Luke.

Luke has a get-out clause in his contract allowing him to leave the New Zealand club if a bigger offer comes his way – and it appears last year’s wooden spooners are willing to oblige.
Reports this week indicate Parramatta are ready to pounce with a deal worth around $700,000 over two years.
But that would be a major mistake according to Sporting News league expert Peter Peters, who urged the Eels to instead place their faith in rising No.9 Reed Mahoney.
“Parramatta continue to be the dunces of the NRL on and off the field. If they shun the local junior (Mahoney) for the veteran Luke it will be another nail in their reputation,” Zorba told Sky Sports Radio.

“They didn’t have much to cheer about last year but they did unearth a bright young hooker in Mahoney.

“He’s tough, (has) good skills from dummy half and looks a real prospect but the club obviously don’t think he’s ready.

“Parramatta, it seems, have jumped in with $700,000 (for Luke) - I reckon that’s way over the top.

“The best days are behind Issac Luke.”

Peters believes luring Luke back to Australia would be a panic buy by under-fire Eels coach Brad Arthur.

Zorba said: “When you’ve got a coach under the pressure he’s under, these are the sort of decision that are made.

“They’ve got to start thinking about the future, not the quick fix.”

https://www.nospam47.com/au/amp/lea...ke-nrl-signing-news/829j89pfm12x12q4bxasmm9uy

"League expert Peter Peters" is an oxymoron

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In fact I'd suggest that the clause we're looking to exploit means that the Warriors well and truly understand they've got him on huge unders.
Good point. A clause like this is good evidence that the contract value is unders. Much like an option in the player's favour, or even extra years worth of job security. These are all intended to keep the price down.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Thanks for the link....

But it sheds Zero light on what I was asking in response to your other post. All it illustrates is that the Knights were interested but decided not to pursue.

It doesn't suggest that the offer the Knights were considering putting forward will have to be matched by any other club thereafter if they are considering signing him. Nor does it suggest that the Knights have established his value at 300-350K a year.

I'm still none the wiser as to why we are offering him a 200K pay increase (550K when you consider no deal for 2020) for 2019 and you think its good/reasonable business.

Not only do you have to offer a bit more than his current deal. New Zealand have to up their current contract to him plus you probably have to pay a "relocation fee" of sorts. You have to give him a reason to move back to Australia.

Eelogical

Referee
I'm sure we'd all prefer to win 11 or 12 games than 9 games. Luke won't cost us our future.
So, according to you we win 9 games with Mahoney and possibly 12 with Luke? Luke ain't our future, and neither is any other fly by who is looking to shore up their future on easy money.

Dibs

Bench
*with Luke and Mahoney

If we sigh Issac Luke, Reed Mahoney will still play plenty of first grade next year. They might both be in the 17.
I have mixed feelings about signing Luke. None of which have anything to do with the reported offer. However I am more likely to be happy with the signing if Mahoney is still in the 17

Chipmunk

Coach
Because they have to share it with other sports and every other punter who walks past.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...of-excellence-in-braddon-20180602-p4zj2u.html

“Providing a state-of-the-art HQ for one of Canberra’s elite sporting teams, combined with new community facilities, in the heart of the city will enhance the area and provide new opportunities for Canberrans of all ages and abilities to get involved with the sport.

"In addition to this facility supporting rugby league programs in the ACT, it will also support the surrounding NSW region.

Do you know exactly what those "community facilities" are?

hindy111

Post Whore
36 tackles in 68 minutes is a bit ordianary. He wouldn't have been able to manage that without guys like Mannah and Alvaro covering for him.

Well the highest tackling forward and 3rd overall was Jake tribovij. He averaged very close to 78mins and 42 tackles a game with 136mtrs
Brown if averaged another 10 mins would be 41. 5 tackles a game and 177 mtrs.

Am I missing something?

hindy111

Post Whore
Parramatta

falling-down-house-sept-23-breakout.jpg

Kane Evans is looking better.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How do you figure that, any stats? sigh.......
The main stat is that Luke makes less than a tackle every two minutes. We already have a middle defender who is that much of a slug, and Luke will need to play fewer minutes if he is to work harder and help cover Paulo's defensive load.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Kane Evans is looking better.
You just posted that in response to a photo that was posted in response to a comment about how Parramatta’s Centre of Excellence (COE) is a model similar to the Panthers or the Broncos which was a was in response to WhingeEel who soiled his knickers about how Manly got a merkinload of money for a COE which Gronk pointed out that Manly will probably have to share with a bunch snotty little shit stains, similar to the Rabbits who currently get 45 min worth of access to their COE most weeks.