What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

I guess this commits us to one of the players mentioned. Gotta take advantage of this cap consession.

If i read that rule correctly any player you develop prior to becoming an NRL player qualifies you for the $200k. We've got plenty of those.

Although perhaps the "and / or" is written incorrectly?

If i read that rule correctly any player you develop prior to becoming an NRL player qualifies you for the $200k. We've got plenty of those.

It's poorly written. You have to have been at the club for 8 years, either as a combination of development years + Top 30, or Top 30 years alone. So, Dylan Brown, for example doesn't cut it.

Pazza

First Grade

I would say you need those eight years to qualify. But yeah Terepo has been in first grade for seven seasons now, but there was talk he might be sacked by the club due to his latest indiscretion. Would be a shame, he looked ready to forfill his potential.

lingard

Coach
Jnr is capable of origin and Brown wouldn't be put of place . Would you swap for RCG, Jai Arrow or Woods? I wouldn't.
Tepai,Lane Nikuore all are young enough to go up a gear. And who onows how good Kafusi or Stefano will be. I get sense they will be 2 good prope.
Stone and Salesi most likely squad fillers.
I am not sure there is a huge difference to an origin level prop and an NRL starter.

Don't get me wrong, Hindy. I like our pack. They're all good players (except Evans). I do think Paulo is over-rated and could end up being a poor signing over four years, but overall our pack is good. But it's not great. The top teams have at least one star player in the forwards, sometimes two. Brown might not be out of place in origin but he wouldn't stand out in it either. I might be wrong about Paulo, but I don't really rate him. And the others you mentioned might end up being stars or near that level. Or they might not. Point is they're not there currently. And currently is what I'm talking about. We've got a pack that could make us competitive for a year (if they play out of their skins). But you need rep players to be able to consistently keep a team at that level.
And, yes, I do think there's a big difference between an origin-level player and an NRL starter. Obviously.

lingard

Coach
I said this months ago and someone laughed re Pen Jnr. He is unsigned for 2020 and there are figures of a 2mil deal over 4 years. That’s a steal. Easily worth 3mil over 4. You reckon he’d turn down an extra quarter of a mil a year? I dunno...

If we had a guy like him in our pack, can you imagine how much better Nathan Brown, Marata Nuikore, Daniel Alvaro, etc, would play? (Not to mention Mahoney and our halves.) It would turn a good pack into a top line pack.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

If that’s the case bye Felicia, I mean Tim.

Happy MEel

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

I guess this commits us to one of the players mentioned. Gotta take advantage of this cap consession.
Not necessarily. If we don’t want to commit any of those mentioned we could recruit someone into the top 30 that has played NRL for 10 years (dare I say it, they may also bring leadership) and we’d be eligible to apply that $200k to them. It actually places us at an advantage if there is someone that we want to target that fits that bill and we’re not keen to retain any other player that is eligible. I don’t think there would be too many other clubs that would be in a similar position.

Pazza

First Grade
Not necessarily. If we don’t want to commit any of those mentioned we could recruit someone into the top 30 that has played NRL for 10 years (dare I say it, they may also bring leadership) and we’d be eligible to apply that $200k to them. It actually places us at an advantage if there is someone that we want to target that fits that bill and we’re not keen to retain any other player that is eligible. I don’t think there would be too many other clubs that would be in a similar position.

True, i didn't see that ten year across the game component.

Look i'd be happy to keep Mannah for a couple more years on bench prop money. Love the guy, but thats just me i guess.

Happy MEel

First Grade
True, i didn't see that ten year across the game component.

Look i'd be happy to keep Mannah for a couple more years on bench prop money. Love the guy, but thats just me i guess.
He’s worth about $250-300k at the moment IMO. Still a good defender and his attitude is spot on. What he’s worth in his final years...who knows. But it almost seems disrespectful to offer him back up money after his service for the club. I actually hope he retires this year with a gig at the club somewhere so we don’t have to make that call.

chiefy1

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...g-games-to-tonga-or-fiji-20190323-p516xd.html

Peni Terepo is likely to be spared the axe over his drunken behaviour on a flight from Tonga to New Zealand.
The Eels initially considered tearing up Terepo’s contract after he failed to inform them of this latest incident.

However, it appears a heavy fine is now most likely.
Parramatta are yet to come up with a final determination, which is expected in coming days. However, the Tongan prop could be available as soon as next weekend if he accepts the Eels’ terms.
The Tongan international knows he is on his last chance.

Glenneel

Bench
Isn't Mannah the only player on the roster we get a 200k cap consession for long service?

If so id keep him around for depth.
So you keep a player well past his prime which no other NRL or SL club would want because he is cheap? So you wouldn't fill his spot with a better player. Wtf!

Alvaro or Terepo could be eligible for the LSP allowance. Btw the LSP allowance is only available for 1 player is my understanding.

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...g-games-to-tonga-or-fiji-20190323-p516xd.html

Peni Terepo is likely to be spared the axe over his drunken behaviour on a flight from Tonga to New Zealand.
The Eels initially considered tearing up Terepo’s contract after he failed to inform them of this latest incident.

However, it appears a heavy fine is now most likely.
Parramatta are yet to come up with a final determination, which is expected in coming days. However, the Tongan prop could be available as soon as next weekend if he accepts the Eels’ terms.
The Tongan international knows he is on his last chance.
When you look at his latest indiscretion in relation to some by others (drug taking, violence, DV, etc) it has to be considered minor. And the police took no action so by their action it falls into the minor category. It falls into the dick head category. Why are we being so tough? Is it the current climate with the NRL? We'll need him desperately next week against the Roosters. Our pack that includes Evans and Gower won't be able to stand up to their pack.

Onto another subject, will Parra be the only team, as happened with Edwards slapping someone a few years ago, to have a player sin-binned over a high tackle? There were multiple examples over the weekend and not one player sin-binned. Typical!

When you look at his latest indiscretion in relation to some by others (drug taking, violence, DV, etc) it has to be considered minor. And the police took no action so by their action it falls into the minor category. It falls into the dick head category. Why are we being so tough? Is it the current climate with the NRL? We'll need him desperately next week against the Roosters. Our pack that includes Evans and Gower won't be able to stand up to their pack.

Onto another subject, will Parra be the only team, as happened with Edwards slapping someone a few years ago, to have a player sin-binned over a high tackle? There were multiple examples over the weekend and not one player sin-binned. Typical!

He's in trouble, partly because he has form with serious alcohol related incidents.

Delboy

First Grade
So Moga at the Knights gets 2 weeks for his second physical assault incident, Terepo acted stupidly but didn't attack anyone and there is a bit of a witch hunt to punish him more severely.

Obviously don't condone what happened, but in the kangaroo court of things, was minor. No doubt as no charges emanated he stupidly thought no one would report it, in the PC world of the current NRL, it immediately made it reportable.

2 weeks and a fine shud be his punishment.[/QUOTE]

hybrideel

Bench
The thing is it's, the clubs choice as to what punishment they see fit. The NRL only step in if they see it being too lenient.
If the club has decided that 2 incidents results in a sacking, then i'll support that. I don't care if we need the player or not, we have had enough of the club being dragged through the mud because off off field shit.

Gronk

Staff member
The thing is it's, the clubs choice as to what punishment they see fit. The NRL only step in if they see it being too lenient.
If the club has decided that 2 incidents results in a sacking, then i'll support that. I don't care if we need the player or not, we have had enough of the club being dragged through the mud because off off field shit.
They would have sacked him if they could sign a prop from ESL (which was reported). I don’t buy that clubs sack players based on boardroom values.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The fact is we need him on the field now. We should sack him from an organisational culture standpoint, but we also need to win footy games.

Latest posts