What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
I still fail to see what the has to do with the standards of Bellamy and the standards of Arthur and a club like ours. Just more excuses.

And as for Bellamy coaching in the NSW Cup massive lol.

Absolute spuds like Mary are coaching teams atm.

A few spuds in the news of late.

upload_2019-7-24_9-45-18.jpeg
images

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Absolute spuds like Mary are coaching teams atm.

Of course Mary is struggling (and Bellamy is the better coach) but I bet Mary wouId love to have the storm accounting system running his cap management at the moment, gee I reckon he wouldn’t mind having Thompson / Mann / Garrick / packer in his squad to help out and not forced out due to the cap.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So how do you think Bellamy wouId have gone if he never had Smith / cooper and slater in their prime and in 2007 he had to rebuild his squad again without the trio?

Yeah he may have succeeded but I suspect he wouId have had to take some chances on “turds” like Taka / KE and be a bit more flexible in his standards / recruitment.

Nearly every GF winner has had to rebuild their squads after their premiership win due to the salary cap, but Bellamy had a bit of help with that.....

And Bellamy coaching QLD cup, is just pointing out he had a massive advantage over all rookie NRL coaches in his early success, that they don’t get. Bellamy was able to be successful by coaching a side cheating the cap. A massive advantage. Without that advantage he may have never had the chance to show he could coach in the NRL.
Of course he wouldn’t of gone as well, but to say he would be coaching the QLD Cup is absolutely laughable. I got called out for calling him overrated last week which I still think he is but the bloke can coach no question.

Glenneel

Bench
I don’t buy into Bellamy being this genius who turns average players into stars. What he has done is set up a culture that minimises poor team performances headlined by having a core bunch of Australian reps that helps mask or limit poor individual performance. It’s largely a plug and play system. His failures aren’t in not making bad players good, but in not getting buy in from those players. And it may be recent bias but a lot of his “failures” seem to be coming more frequent as he starts losing those top line players.

It’s also becoming more of a thing. I think Des is going down same road with Manly
I believe its the systems he has in place, but for some reason his junior coaches that go elsewhere (ie BA) don't seem to introduce the same systems. On the weekend I was watching the Central Coast Capras, who are leading in Qld Cup, and they are coached similarly to the Storm, so when feeder players promoted to Storm there is little adjustment. Also their talent identification is top notch stealing players from under Bronco's nose.

What we need to do is throw cheque book at current Storm's defensive coach for next year. We'll never be a consistent team until we get better defensive systems in place starting from Ball Cup or earlier all the way up to NRL.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Of course Mary is struggling (and Bellamy is the better coach) but I bet Mary wouId love to have the storm accounting system running his cap management at the moment, gee I reckon he wouldn’t mind having Thompson / Mann / Garrick / packer in his squad to help out and not forced out due to the cap.
The guy has 5 Origin players in his team, let alone blokes like Widdop and Graham. He’s an absolute potato, He makes BA look decent.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I believe its the systems he has in place, but for some reason his junior coaches that go elsewhere (ie BA) don't seem to introduce the same systems. On the weekend I was watching the Central Coast Capras, who are leading in Qld Cup, and they are coached similarly to the Storm, so when feeder players promoted to Storm there is little adjustment. Also their talent identification is top notch stealing players from under Bronco's nose.

What we need to do is throw cheque book at current Storm's defensive coach for next year. We'll never be a consistent team until we get better defensive systems in place starting from Ball Cup or earlier all the way up to NRL.
We need better players. That's all.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The guy has 5 Origin players in his team, let alone blokes like Widdop and Graham. He’s an absolute potato, He makes BA look decent.

I agree McGregor has struggled at times, but also he has had he 2 best players out for most of the year too.

Bellamy lost a GF 40 to 0 with only one of his best players out.....

hybrideel

Bench
Another added advantage storm have over teams like ours is that they now have a reputation as winners and Bellamy has a reputation as a master coach, therefore players want to go there and will likely go there for less under the assumption that they will be made into a better player and will get their payday after inevitably making rep sides as many storm players do.
Are they actually made into rep quality players or made to look like it due to the success of the team and quality players around them. I'd say given the lack of success of many storm players once they leave Melbourne, it's more the latter

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree McGregor has struggled at times, but also he has had he 2 best players out for most of the year too.

Bellamy lost a GF 40 to 0 with only one of his best players out.....
Lost a GF, didn’t finish bottom 4 which is the way the Dragons are heading. Go into the Dragons forum and see what they think of him.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Of course he wouldn’t of gone as well, but to say he would be coaching the QLD Cup is absolutely laughable. I got called out for calling him overrated last week which I still think he is but the bloke can coach no question.

You are missing the whole point of coaching QLD cup.

For example look at Macguire starts his coaching career at Souths, who had a strong squad and good management and was successful. Goes to the tigers and they are struggling (may or may not be his fault).

Tigers miss the 8 next year and Macguire will be under pressure, but we know he can coach.

But what happens if he never went to Souths first? After 3 years at the tigers his career is probably over (if they don’t make the finals) and no one knows he can coach. Quite possible Bellamy may have been in this scenario without cheating.

84 Baby

Referee
I believe its the systems he has in place, but for some reason his junior coaches that go elsewhere (ie BA) don't seem to introduce the same systems.
Hard to introduce the same system when a) you aren’t able to bring in a core group of high level reps to enforce/foster it, and b) even if you could, introducing it to a comp where a matured one already exists, isn’t likely to produce drastic results, although Manly may prove that wrong (but they already had a core group of reps)

What we need to do is throw cheque book at current Storm's defensive coach for next year.
If they’re assistant coaches don’t bring their systems with them, why would you bother signing them?
Plus I’d prefer not to just copy Scum

JokerEel

Coach
So how do you think Bellamy wouId have gone if he never had Smith / cooper and slater in their prime and in 2007 he had to rebuild his squad again without the trio?

Yeah he may have succeeded but I suspect he wouId have had to take some chances on “turds” like Taka / KE and be a bit more flexible in his standards / recruitment.

Nearly every GF winner has had to rebuild their squads after their premiership win due to the salary cap, but Bellamy had a bit of help with that.....

And Bellamy coaching QLD cup, is just pointing out he had a massive advantage over all rookie NRL coaches in his early success, that they don’t get. Bellamy was able to be successful by coaching a side cheating the cap. A massive advantage. Without that advantage he may have never had the chance to show he could coach in the NRL.

Honestly if he had lost Smith Cronk and Slater after the Celary cap issue, he most probably would have created another big 3..
The reason Smith is so good is because of Bellamy he mentions it enough that Bellamy gave him a rocket in his first season at the Storm.

Bellamy has created the culture with the support of the club..

JokerEel

Coach

For example look at Macguire starts his coaching career at Souths, who had a strong squad and good management and was successful. Goes to the tigers and they are struggling (may or may not be his fault).

Tigers miss the 8 next year and Macguire will be under pressure, but we know he can coach.

But what happens if he never went to Souths first? After 3 years at the tigers his career is probably over (if they don’t make the finals) and no one knows he can coach. Quite possible Bellamy may have been in this scenario without cheating.

Madge was coaching in the Super league after leaving the Storm system..
Made his name over there then came here to Souths..

He will get the Tigers into the top 8 but it will take time ala us as both the Eels and Tigers are a mess in the background..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The best example is Ricky Stuart. Wins a premiership in his first season at the Chooks, then eleven years later he's forgotten how to coach as he takes the spoon at Parra. A few years after that he's challenging for the top four with Canberra.

And how about premiership winner Paul Green? Can he coach or not?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The best example is Ricky Stuart. Wins a premiership in his first season at the Chooks, then eleven years later he's forgotten how to coach as he takes the spoon at Parra. A few years after that he's challenging for the top four with Canberra.

And how about premiership winner Paul Green? Can he coach or not?

Yep Ricky is lucky he started with the Roosters not us

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Yeah I’m sure he’s be coaching The Townsville Blackhawks about now LOl!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But last week he was scoring a hat trick!
Annnnnnnnd???

I never said he didn’t have talent, but he is lazy and as dumb as a pile of rocks. Those blokes getting weeded out at the Storm quick smart. You only have to hear Cronk speak on how hard they trajn and the players themselves call out laziness and poor attitude. That’s the culture Martina has built.

IFR33K

Coach
I don’t buy into Bellamy being this genius who turns average players into stars. What he has done is set up a culture that minimises poor team performances headlined by having a core bunch of Australian reps that helps mask or limit poor individual performance. It’s largely a plug and play system. His failures aren’t in not making bad players good, but in not getting buy in from those players. And it may be recent bias but a lot of his “failures” seem to be coming more frequent as he starts losing those top line players.

It’s also becoming more of a thing. I think Des is going down same road with Manly

Is creating a great winning culture part of the process in turning players into good ones. What he’s done is mind blowing.

Last edited:

Latest posts