What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
We have about six weeks. Including ten days cooling off.
Assuming he hasn't already unofficially agreed to terms to a contract, why would Semi rush to sign the first contract that gets placed in front of him. If you're suggesting his court case may speed up his decision, I can assure you every contract he receives will have a clause regarding its outcome. You have stated many times on here that there's no reason for players to sign so far in advance when people complain that we haven't re-signed this player or that. Why would it be any different for Semi?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Players sign in November, especially if they get an offer that blows others out of the water. That offer might get withdrawn if they don't take it. They'll only hold out if they think they're likely to get more. Not less.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Players sign in November, especially if they get an offer that blows others out of the water. That offer might get withdrawn if they don't take it. They'll only hold out if they think they're likely to get more. Not less.
Agreed. But if we're in the process of soughting our shit out, we may just be able to "get lucky" with some TPAs...especially if Semi is the first highly paid contract negotiated under the new regime. Even with Semis merkiness throughout the year, I'd expect him to give us last rights to his services.

Your comment about players signing in November is also rubbish. As an example, Norman didn't sign until a few months ago.

theicemandanno

Juniors
I dont get it.....semi is here 2017. Broncos can not negotiate with semi until november unless we have given semi permission.....why would we give semi permission????? Load of BS!!!!!

phantom eel

First Grade
Think of 3-5 players in our squad who are more important. I would say Norman and then i struggle.
Norman, Ma'u, Scott. Arguably Mannah and Edwards.

And based on this season's form, French. And based on his versatility this season, also Gutherson.

Semi had a great 2015 and has a load of talent... but he was hardly a "star" for us this season - when as a team we performed better (won more games) than we have since 2009 (and possibly earlier).

I dont get it.....semi is here 2017. Broncos can not negotiate with semi until november unless we have given semi permission.....why would we give semi permission????? Load of BS!!!!!

Thats a bit naive my friend, Semi is not going to ask permission to speak to the Broncos early, and nobody would know if he did unless it was leaked, which has happened somewhere along the line, even then it can't be proven. Player managers do this all the time, especially if a player is not happy, Peter Nolan is a long term confidant and friend of Semi and they would be in contact anyway you would think.
If Semi wasn't happy which its clear he wasn't you can bet your bottom dollar his manager will be talking to anybody who has the money.

Chipmunk

Coach
Why exactly? Last I checked Semi is a winger.

Because our middle forwards are f**king attrocious around the play the ball area and we rely on players like Semi to fight in the play the ball to get us penalties coming out of our own end to make any ground as well as score tries in othet ways, so that we can compete in matches. Semi virtually the only player in the entire team who can consistenly win the play the ball.

If you watch our matches closely, the only way we make any ground from out of our Red Zone its from Semi and more than likely its from a penalty he gets in the play the ball. Other than that we've got f**k all coming out of the Red Zone.

phantom eel

First Grade
Letting him go while he's on unders makes no sense to me.
From Gordon Tallis sitting out the final year of his contract, through Sonny Bill Williams doing the mid-season bolt, players have withdrawn their labour if clubs do not ascede to their whims. And it goes both ways with clubs pushing guys like Foran and Farah to the edge to leave early too.

Elite players (including Jarryd Hayne when he was paid to walk out on us with no notice) now realise that clubs are a chance of giving into your demands even when they shouldn't... there is no sense about it, other than clubs seeking to avoid the effects of possible negative media/spin?

phantom eel

First Grade
Because our middle forwards are f**king attrocious around the play the ball area and we rely on players like Semi to fight in the play the ball to get us penalties coming out of our own end to make any ground as well as score tries in othet ways, so that we can compete in matches. Semi virtually the only player in the entire team who can consistenly win the play the ball.

If you watch our matches closely, the only way we make any ground from out of our Red Zone its from Semi and more than likely its from a penalty he gets in the play the ball. Other than that we've got f**k all coming out of the Red Zone.
Well, the first few tackles after receiving possession from a kick are usually down to the fullback and winger - of which Semi has been a comparative standout given the players we've had in those positions in the past couple of years.

I agree our middle forward options have been on the poor side in terms of impact, after losing Junior Paulo and relying on guys with good stats but that don't resally bend the line (like Mannah). I'm hopeful the new signings will add some hunger there where it's needed.

But to replace Semi's "fight" coming out of our own end, we'll need people (more likely strong edge forwards/centres) that can get back early in the tackle count and help out with that work. Or change the game plan/structure a bit so that we throw the ball wider from dmmy half earlier and make a bit more ground where the opposition are least expecting it.

hindy111

Post Whore
My concern with Semi is the media attention he brings and the constant im going to rugby.Add that to the fact he has been accused of beating his ex.Id swap him for mansour in a heartbeat. His impact on a game is excellent.Made the 2nd most meters of any player this year.Busts tackles and runs like a demon.Fires his team mates up.
Semi is special.But i stand by my comment

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed. But if we're in the process of soughting our shit out, we may just be able to "get lucky" with some TPAs...especially if Semi is the first highly paid contract negotiated under the new regime. Even with Semis merkiness throughout the year, I'd expect him to give us last rights to his services.

Your comment about players signing in November is also rubbish. As an example, Norman didn't sign until a few months ago.
I didn't say all players sign in November. But we have already seen plenty of re-signings (of players already contracted for 2017) and it's only September.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This whole cooling off period is a bit of a sham, it can be 3, 5, 10 days or completely wiped if the player likes, Jarryd Wiped it at the Titans, its up to the player and manager.
The player will waive it if he thinks no bigger offers will be forthcoming or if it's mid season and he's keen to get on the field within those ten days. The cooling off period is to protect the player, and he's free to waive that protection if it suits him.