What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
also Papa's debut so he was on a mission to prove something

sample of 1 game not ideal

lingard

Coach
Making the game faster just benefits strong teams more and tends to blow out scores. What they really need is to reduce ways for one team to dominate possession, which would radically alter the game. It starts with reducing penalties for risky play, because this is actually what fans want to see, not necessarily faster play.

This is exactly what happened (reduced domination of possession) when they introduced the limited tackle rule all those years ago. It stopped teams like St George just hanging on to possession for eternity (by boring, slow, up the guts safe play, just hanging onto the ball) but it also increased the speed of the game as a side-effect. Of course, we don't want to go back to a four tackle rule, because that would just take away the potential for a team to develop any momentum (which is often a tactic in itself). Its a very complex issue, isn't it? Particularly when any new rule that is brought in for any particular purpose, is immediately exploited by coaches and players, and so the desired effect is never achieved.

lingard

Coach
Agree. Same goes for Matterson. I wouldn't be worried if lost either.
Gutherson,Jnr are the two must keeps. Mahoney,Kafusi and D.Brown also due to age factor.

N.Brown will be 29 next year. Once forwards get close to 30 they can drop off very fast. It is possible he plays at this level for the length of his next 3yr contract but the odds are he will begin to decline in 2023.
Sometime you need to think long term. I am unsure if we need him in 2023.

Yeah, I dunno. I reckon Dylan Brown is quite replaceable. I also reckon Moses is replaceable for that matter. I wouldn't bust the bank trying to keep Mahoney, either. Disagree on Matterson. He's definitely a keeper.

lingard

Coach
And tackles per minute:

0.70 Mahoney (phenomenal effort for an 80 minute player, especially given none missed)
0.56 Campbell-Gillard
0.55 Kaufusi
0.54 Papali'i
0.54 Paulo
0.52 Brown

Obviously tackles per minute is more meaningful over a season than a single game, because in a single game interchange forwards will be on the field during differing periods of possession flow. I would also expect higher tackles per minute from a player playing fewer minutes, since these merkins are expected to work harder in defence.

Obviously.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If we want to see a change in the way teams can dominate possession for long periods of the game, the simplest rule change would be to make the scoring side kick off.

A side effect of that might also be less kicks for goal off penalties, or late game attempts at field goals, cause you don't get the ball back

If we want to see a change in the way teams can dominate possession for long periods of the game, the simplest rule change would be to make the scoring side kick off.

A side effect of that might also be less kicks for goal off penalties, or late game attempts at field goals, cause you don't get the ball back
But less tries scored out wide by teams leading by 2 points or less with a minute to go, becauset they'll be worried about missing the conversion.

Dumb site