What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bandwagon

Staff member
Come on, it's not like this lot would go off after a single game. That clutz Gutherson was shithouse in his debut.

.........and that f**king haircut, what the f**k was he thinking.

il_794xN.1477032363_nkz2.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^ Interesting comments by Gus on his podcast last week. He said that if he was in charge he'd make it 21 min age to play NRL.

That would protect the kids, not burn them out and create an elite 2nd tier competition where these gun kids can play against men and dominate, if they're good enough.

TheRam

Coach
^^^^ Interesting comments by Gus on his podcast last week. He said that if he was in charge he'd make it 21 min age to play NRL.

That would protect the kids, not burn them out and create an elite 2nd tier competition where these gun kids can play against men and dominate, if they're good enough.

Maybe the better ones would then get the sh*ts and go to Rugby, or their managers would encourage them to. To many sharks in the sea mate.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Maybe the better ones would then get the sh*ts and go to Rugby, or their managers would encourage them to. To many sharks in the sea mate.
Agreed mate, the good kids won’t wait. I mean this Suali kid doesn’t even want to wait till he’s 18. It will only help Rugby which is almost pushing up daisies in this country.

TheRam

Coach
I see merit in both sides.

What is good for RL and the gifted young player is what we have now with the flexibility of exemptions as what has happened with the Suaalii case.

I think we have got it just right on this one.

Gronk

Staff member
No surprises there Mr rah rah

The merit on both sides are that they play in an elite reggies comp until they're 21 OR they play em when they are good enough.

I never said that rugby picking the eyes out of the NRL kids was a good thing FFS. Ugh :rolleyes:

hindy111

Post Whore

I would set some sort of system like USA does with sport. Rookie contracts for first 2- 3yrs with MAX earning capacity. It gives clubs a little power to be able to see if worth paying up for. Stefano is a great example. M.Burton another.

And sure a few 18ylds may go to rugby and rot. But majority will accept it. By the time they are 20/21 they are able to make the big $$
Prior its perhaps a 200k Max contract.

I just don't think it's something you can reverse engineer a hundred or so years after the game develops. The College footy / NFL thing (sort of) works in the states, because NFL was an extension of College Football (not the other way round), and the separation of College and senior sports is 'the norm'. Each have their own fanbase (that name still makes me shudder). I just don't see how we'd fund an elite level U21 / Reggies comp that would the best players. Absolutely nobody would be making money out of the arrangement.

Angry_eel

First Grade
If someone wants to gamble with their life and body by 18, who can stop them? Most footy player struggle past 31 but squads change so fast now that most 18 year olds won't be playing NRL by 25 so I think it's ok to let them play and earn some coin by 25. Then they can be butchers or real estate agents.