What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Actually reckon Marata leaving for that deal is good reflection on our club. Shows that coming to our club will improve you as a player….

Marata came to us as a 20’s player from the warriors and leaves as a quality NRL player…

But we were the ones that got value out of him ….now the warriors have to pay overs for him..

it’s what the Storm do best and keeps them as a contender every year…

Delboy

First Grade
Could be that the emergence of Penisini has made Marata less of a priority on the right edge. If the amount of the contract is correct, then he has found his Alan Bond.

Good player, gave his all and the club took him from a minimum wage U20 centre who was unlikely to be extended at the Warriors to a $625k back rower, great development which is what Storm do, but not worth that cash to Parra.

hindy111

Post Whore
Could be that the emergence of Penisini has made Marata less of a priority on the right edge. If the amount of the contract is correct, then he has found his Alan Bond.

Good player, gave his all and the club took him from a minimum wage U20 centre who was unlikely to be extended at the Warriors to a $625k back rower, great development which is what Storm do, but not worth that cash to Parra.

I'd say nothing to do with Penisni and everything more to do with the fact we rate him on par with Bryce and Lane rather then on par with RCG and JNR.
I think he is far closer to LANE and Bryce then the other two. I wouldn't be suprised if both where the better players next season. Marata also has suspension issues. A good hard running but one dimensional forward

84 Baby

Referee
I'd say nothing to do with Penisni and everything more to do with the fact we rate him on par with Bryce and Lane rather then on par with RCG and JNR.
I think he is far closer to LANE and Bryce then the other two. I wouldn't be suprised if both where the better players next season. Marata also has suspension issues. A good hard running but one dimensional forward
I don’t think we rate him on par with Cartwright and only maybe with Lane. We just can’t afford to rate him as highly as the Worriers do

crocodile

Bench
He's between Lane and RCG. Not as many metres as RCG and no offloads. Hits harder than Lane and runs harder but without an offload his value diminishes.

eels_fan

First Grade
Eels hooker Reed Mahoney’s manager personally rang and told a senior Parramatta official his client was meeting with Canterbury management to avoid potentials dramas.
On Tuesday night, Mahoney was spotted at a Chinese restaurant inside Canterbury Leagues Club with Bulldogs officials, including high-profile general manager of football, Phil Gould.

“I was being transparent,” Mahoney’s agent Sam Ayoub said.

But Ayoub has angrily denied his Eels star was seeking $700,000 a season.

The Bulldogs launched a multimillion-dollar bid to Mahoney over a private dinner.

The Daily Telegraph broke the story online (read below) about the high-powered meetings, which included Mahoney, Ayoub, Gould, Bulldogs head coach Trent Barrett and club chairman John Khoury.

Prior to dinner, Mahoney was given a guided tour of the Bulldogs’ high-performance facilities at Belmore Sports Ground.

“Nothing to report,” Gould told The Daily Telegraph.

“Had a nice dinner with Reed. I wanted him to meet our people. He’s a very impressive young man. No formal offer at this stage. Very much preliminary discussions.

“If Reed shows a genuine interest in being a Bulldog, we would be keen for further the talks. We shall see what the future brings.”

Aware the meeting may attract attention, and make Parramatta uncomfortable, Ayoub rang Eels general manager of football, Mark O’Neill, to be “transparent”. Ayoub also said he was tired of reading inflated figures suggesting Mahoney was chasing $700,000 a season.

“I was being transparent — I let Mark O’Neill know about the meeting,” Ayoub said.

“I didn’t say which club we were meeting but I told him we were meeting with a club on Tuesday night. I do things the right way.

“We didn’t do anything wrong. We even went the extra mile to be transparent by letting Parramatta know. Reed is entitled to do that and they (Parramatta) know that.

“It was legal, we were entitled to do it. It’s important for the fans to know that.

“The only way a player is going to know his worth is by talking to others. The only way I’m going to establish his worth is by talking to clubs.

“And don’t forget, Reed was at Canterbury as a junior (playing under 20s).

“At no stage have we spoken to a club and asked for a figure. We have never, ever suggested or proposed a figure to any club about Reed’s value. We keep reading that Reed is asking for $700,000 a year. All that is doing is misleading Parramatta fans.

“He has never asked for $700,000. He has never asked for a figure, and neither have I and we have maintained that stand. We have not received any offers from any clubs. The figures being report are fiction.

“The meeting was about Reed getting to know whether the club which could potentially be the place that’s viable for him. It’s not just about money – who their coach is, their strengths, roster.”

Ayoub said Mahoney was allowed to talk with rival clubs given the NRL’s November 1 deadline had passed and the player comes off contract at Parramatta after next season.

“It was just a meet and greet,” Ayoub said. “Reed did nothing wrong. The club has shown interest in a player, which they are entitled to do, and it’s something Reed is also entitled to do.

“It’s no different to you going to look for another job to see if it’s viable for you or if it’s better for you, or whether it’s not, or if the money is better. The Bulldogs showed every bit of respect for a good club aiming to be great again.

“Reed hasn’t made a decision. Any club that shows interest is potentially in the equation. He is entitled to consider all the options that are available to him.”

The Daily Telegraph reached out to Gould for comment but he did not respond.

Mahoney told Bulldogs officials at the dinner he wanted to be respectful of Parramatta before reaching a final career decision. He has already been linked to Brisbane, Gold Coast and the newly-formed Dolphins.

Eelogical

Referee
Well, he did (allegedly) bash someone. But I'm fine with giving him a go. The concern is whether he can stay off the piss completely for a year (or at least for the rugby league season). I hope that he can. He's in a bit of a Todd Carney situation.
So in essence, if he can stay off the piss but can take a (normal) piss he'll be good to go.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Eels hooker Reed Mahoney’s manager personally rang and told a senior Parramatta official his client was meeting with Canterbury management to avoid potentials dramas.
On Tuesday night, Mahoney was spotted at a Chinese restaurant inside Canterbury Leagues Club with Bulldogs officials, including high-profile general manager of football, Phil Gould.

The Bulldogs launched a multimillion-dollar bid to Mahoney over a private dinner.

The Daily Telegraph broke the story online (read below) about the high-powered meetings, which included Mahoney, Ayoub, Gould, Bulldogs head coach Trent Barrett and club chairman John Khoury.

Prior to dinner, Mahoney was given a guided tour of the Bulldogs’ high-performance facilities at Belmore Sports Ground.

“Had a nice dinner with Reed. I wanted him to meet our people. He’s a very impressive young man. No formal offer at this stage. Very much preliminary discussions.

“If Reed shows a genuine interest in being a Bulldog, we would be keen for further the talks. We shall see what the future brings.”

Aware the meeting may attract attention, and make Parramatta uncomfortable, Ayoub rang Eels general manager of football, Mark O’Neill, to be “transparent”. Ayoub also said he was tired of reading inflated figures suggesting Mahoney was chasing $700,000 a season.

“I was being transparent — I let Mark O’Neill know about the meeting,” Ayoub said.

“I didn’t say which club we were meeting but I told him we were meeting with a club on Tuesday night. I do things the right way.

“We didn’t do anything wrong. We even went the extra mile to be transparent by letting Parramatta know. Reed is entitled to do that and they (Parramatta) know that.

“It was legal, we were entitled to do it. It’s important for the fans to know that.

“The only way a player is going to know his worth is by talking to others. The only way I’m going to establish his worth is by talking to clubs.

“At no stage have we spoken to a club and asked for a figure. We have never, ever suggested or proposed a figure to any club about Reed’s value. We keep reading that Reed is asking for $700,000 a year. All that is doing is misleading Parramatta fans.

“He has never asked for $700,000. He has never asked for a figure, and neither have I and we have maintained that stand. We have not received any offers from any clubs. The figures being report are fiction.

“The meeting was about Reed getting to know whether the club which could potentially be the place that’s viable for him. It’s not just about money – who their coach is, their strengths, roster.”

Ayoub said Mahoney was allowed to talk with rival clubs given the NRL’s November 1 deadline had passed and the player comes off contract at Parramatta after next season.

“It was just a meet and greet,” Ayoub said. “Reed did nothing wrong. The club has shown interest in a player, which they are entitled to do, and it’s something Reed is also entitled to do.

“It’s no different to you going to look for another job to see if it’s viable for you or if it’s better for you, or whether it’s not, or if the money is better. The Bulldogs showed every bit of respect for a good club aiming to be great again.

“Reed hasn’t made a decision. Any club that shows interest is potentially in the equation. He is entitled to consider all the options that are available to him.”

Mahoney told Bulldogs officials at the dinner he wanted to be respectful of Parramatta before reaching a final career decision. He has already been linked to Brisbane, Gold Coast and the newly-formed Dolphins.

I had trouble rheeding the rest of the article after the "I do things the right way" Quote. Mainly from laughter.

Good on Niukore for getting a good future deal - it's in his home country, we wouldn't/shouldn't have paid that much, and it's signed with plenty of time for us to plan replacement/succession.

Looks like Mahoney might get a lot of free dinner offers, with the current publicity Ayoub is drumming up... what are the odds the other diner that took the photo and shared with the media was know to Ayoub's company?

Scott's potential signing for one year seems ok - would be cheap, on notice re any behavioural issues, and playing with a lot to prove if he has turned the corner in his off-field life. But we really should be retaining our off-contract in 2023 big names at a rate of one a fortnight before Christmas, to send out the right vibes to the current squad and future/new prospects that . we're a place people want to play and stay

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The dog merkin can GET F**KED! I'll f**ken drive him to Belmore myself, but he has to fly to Perth first.

strider

Post Whore

I think he mentioned $700,000 so many times that I now think Rheed is worth $700,000 😳

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm all for the Scott signing.
If he fires we get a quality player on huge unders. What is worse case? Leave him in NSW cup.
We would certainly have the best two centres in NSW CUP. Opacic and Scott

Not a fan of this signing, worst case scenario he turns out to be the dickhead his actions suggest he is, but I'd imagine the club would have a "don't be a dickhead" clause in his contract in order to hold him to his public statements of contrition,