What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Delboy

First Grade
Pretty disappointing basically our decision to lowball him opened up the door for a desperate club like the tigers to pounce.

500-550k probably would have been enough to keep him before going to open market i reckon.

He is 23 with the prime ahead of him.

Losing niukore as well we have had our backrow stripped out.

Would rather have lost junior paulo tbh who is 6 years older then papali'i
Lowballing players has its issues, Stefano was played like that and one of the major reasons he signed with the Tigers. Whilst we did come back with a far better offer, closer to the amount , the decision was made.

Guess the tactic from MON has winners and losers..

eels_fan

First Grade
If we didnt up our offer from the initial lowball then i'm not surprised he's taking $$ the tigers have offered - its stupid money for 1 breakout year after previous years of injuries.

If he backs it up again in 2022 then he probably is worth it, but we wont know that for 12 months.

Surely if we got within $100k he'd stay - not only for loyalty but for the fact he'll get to play finals, and put himself in a better position for rep selection

hindy111

Post Whore
Pretty disappointing basically our decision to lowball him opened up the door for a desperate club like the tigers to pounce.

500-550k probably would have been enough to keep him before going to open market i reckon.

He is 23 with the prime ahead of him.

Losing niukore as well we have had our backrow stripped out.

Would rather have lost junior paulo tbh who is 6 years older then papali'i

I reckon 450k is a decent amount for Papali'i
He has only done it for one year and it isn't his first season in the NRL. Is he any better then N.Brown when he was at his peak? What do you think N.Brown was on? He did it for multiple seasons also before a solid pay day. I reckon he got about 600k Max.

IFR33K

Coach
What is he worth? Had a great season. Are Tigers going the pay silly overs for a guy who has had one big year? It would be silly imo.

They paid big $$$ on potential with that other eels forward, and it seems to be paying dividends. Any signing can go either way.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Lowballing players has its issues, Stefano was played like that and one of the major reasons he signed with the Tigers. Whilst we did come back with a far better offer, closer to the amount , the decision was made.

Guess the tactic from MON has winners and losers..
Its not ideal considering i think the club knew niukore was gone months ago so to lose our player of the year in papali'i as well is a double whammy.

I agree with the club policy that we shouldn't be paying way overs for anyone but i think papali'i should have been made a priority halfway through the year before this shit storm happened.

I think if we offered a fair deal in the first place he wouldn't have even explored his options.

We now look like losing 2 players and have another player manager shitcanning the club holding it to ransom while waiting for his 3 clients to make a decision.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon 450k is a decent amount for Papali'i
He has only done it for one year and it isn't his first season in the NRL. Is he any better then N.Brown when he was at his peak? What do you think N.Brown was on? He did it for multiple seasons also before a solid pay day. I reckon he got about 600k Max.
Papali'i can be a match winner that can turn a game he is also only 23 got 4 to 5 years of his prime ahead of him. I reckon he found the formula to success this year and will only get better

Nathan brown isnt a match winner yes gets through a lot of work but is now 28-29 and looks busted playing the BA physical game plan

hindy111

Post Whore
Papali'i can be a match winner that can turn a game he is also only 23 got 4 to 5 years of his prime ahead of him. I reckon he found the formula to success this year and will only get better

Nathan brown isnt a match winner yes gets through a lot of work but is now 28-29 and looks busted playing the BA physical game plan

N.Brown had his worse season with us this year over his 5yr period. I still think he was injured.
In 2017 -2019 for 3 seasons straight he was constantly our best forward in most games. 2020 he was still quite good.
Yes this season was below par for N.Brown but he still had so,e very good games.

He will start 2022 at age 29. We will get a good season out of him. Of course I would prefer Papali'i but your missing the point. N.Brown at his peak was excellent. Papali'i as great as he was I personally felt went off the boil the last month or so of footy. I'm unsure he has played at a high level consistently enough for a long enough period to pay up too much. It's a risk.

N.Brown was a known quantity.

strider

Post Whore

There were many games where Nrown ran like a mad f**kin merkin or belted some prick and got the team pumped to win games. ... he didnt have a great year this year, he isnt getting any younger and was obviously injured, but he was f**kin good for us for years

I think papali would be a big loss ... i will be disappointed if it happens

hindy111

Post Whore
There were many games where Nrown ran like a mad f**kin merkin or belted some prick and got the team pumped to win games. ... he didnt have a great year this year, he isnt getting any younger and was obviously injured, but he was f**kin good for us for years

I think papali would be a big loss ... i will be disappointed if it happens

I still hate this sign a year early stuff. Reality is if it was June 30 next year we would have half a season to access Papali'i and see where he is at.

strider

Post Whore
I still hate this sign a year early stuff. Reality is if it was June 30 next year we would have half a season to access Papali'i and see where he is at.
Plus there's less pressure for guys who sign elsewhere to piss off early .... whereas when they sign a full season beforehand, the signing team thinks they can entice em early for a full year and have a bit more cap flexibility to do it earlier

it has the potential to f**k up a team's season if some players minds are elsewhere .... I'm thinking Eels 2002

hindy111

Post Whore
Plus there's less pressure for guys who sign elsewhere to piss off early .... whereas when they sign a full season beforehand, the signing team thinks they can entice em early for a full year and have a bit more cap flexibility to do it earlier

it has the potential to f**k up a team's season if some players minds are elsewhere .... I'm thinking Eels 2002

Yes. Imagine them playing for a big contract........

IFR33K

Coach
N.Brown had his worse season with us this year over his 5yr period. I still think he was injured.
In 2017 -2019 for 3 seasons straight he was constantly our best forward in most games. 2020 he was still quite good.
Yes this season was below par for N.Brown but he still had so,e very good games.

He will start 2022 at age 29. We will get a good season out of him. Of course I would prefer Papali'i but your missing the point. N.Brown at his peak was excellent. Papali'i as great as he was I personally felt went off the boil the last month or so of footy. I'm unsure he has played at a high level consistently enough for a long enough period to pay up too much. It's a risk.

N.Brown was a known quantity.

I think you’re being a little harsh on papa. Let’s not forget the quality of opposition the last month we played