What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

The Eel

Juniors
Like I said before I think that he's going to regret going there. He's only had one good season. He forgets that we gave him a lifeline when no one wanted him. Shows how much loyalty players have these days.
There is no loyalty Sneaky. Players just chase the dollar these days

hindy111

Post Whore
I think you’re being a little harsh on papa. Let’s not forget the quality of opposition the last month we played

I'm just saying the facts. He was great most the season but did have games towards end of year where he looked a bit burnt out. Was he better then Jnr and RCG? I still don't think so.

IFR33K

Coach
I'm just saying the facts. He was great most the season but did have games towards end of year where he looked a bit burnt out. Was he better then Jnr and RCG? I still don't think so.

I think RCG was our best followed by papa.

Last edited:

lucablight

First Grade
Papali'i is a talent, but he was ordinary before joining us.

Wouldn't like to lose him, but I'd prefer that, than paying overs.

Let the poorly-run clubs pay overs.
He was in the Dally M team of the year. Legit one of the best forwards in the comp. How do you know this wasn’t a breakout season as opposed to a one off?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pretty disappointing basically our decision to lowball him opened up the door for a desperate club like the tigers to pounce.

500-550k probably would have been enough to keep him before going to open market i reckon.

He is 23 with the prime ahead of him.

Losing niukore as well we have had our backrow stripped out.

Would rather have lost junior paulo tbh who is 6 years older then papali'i
If we didn't start with a low bid we would be like the Tigers with a weak roster and none of our players on unders. Strong clubs are strong because a number of their players are on unders. When rivals offer too much they don't match it, they let them go. E.g. Fa'asuamalaui, Burton and Latrell Mitchell.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lowballing players has its issues, Stefano was played like that and one of the major reasons he signed with the Tigers. Whilst we did come back with a far better offer, closer to the amount , the decision was made.

Guess the tactic from MON has winners and losers..
Players leave Parra for clubs like the Tigers because they offer overs, not because we lowball them. If that was the case the Roosters and Storm would lose all their players as well. No player is bigger than the club. That's the mentality we need to have.

lucablight

First Grade
If we didn't start with a low bid we would be like the Tigers with a weak roster and none of our players on unders. Strong clubs are strong because a number of their players are on unders. When rivals offer too much they don't match it, they let them go. E.g. Fa'asuamalaui, Burton and Latrell Mitchell.
Those clubs you mentioned are clubs that had to shed players after making grand finals and winning premierships. They aren’t clubs who can’t make it past week 2 of the finals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plus there's less pressure for guys who sign elsewhere to piss off early .... whereas when they sign a full season beforehand, the signing team thinks they can entice em early for a full year and have a bit more cap flexibility to do it earlier

it has the potential to f**k up a team's season if some players minds are elsewhere .... I'm thinking Eels 2002
That 2002 team died in the arse because it was built for 2001 ruck rules that no longer applied.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He was in the Dally M team of the year. Legit one of the best forwards in the comp. How do you know this wasn’t a breakout season as opposed to a one off?
We don't, but do we risk overpaying and being stuck with him on $600k? At least if we lose him we keep the cap space to spend on the next value signing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Those clubs you mentioned are clubs that had to shed players after making grand finals and winning premierships. They aren’t clubs who can’t make it past week 2 of the finals.
If players are playing better than their current contract they will get bigger offers. That's a fact whether you win in week two of the finals or lose. There's no sudden massive price increase because a quality player happened to be in a team that won an extra final or two. Burton signed with the Dogs long before he won a premiership. Same with Tino at the Titans.

lucablight

First Grade
We don't, but do we risk overpaying and being stuck with him on $600k? At least if we lose him we keep the cap space to spend on the next value signing.
Conversely do we risk letting him walk where he ends up becoming an elite player elsewhere instead of us while we’re stuck with the next Kabe Evans. Which scenario do you think is more likely out of the two?

lucablight

First Grade
If players are playing better than their current contract they will get bigger offers. That's a fact whether you win in week two of the finals or lose. There's no sudden massive price increase because a quality player happened to be in a team that won an extra final or two. Burton signed with the Dogs long before he won a premiership. Same with Tino at the Titans.
Matt Burton signed with Canterbury after the Panthers made the grand final. He was stuck behind Luai who is an origin player. Who is Papali’i stuck behind? Tino signed with the Titans when the Storm finished minor premiers (who lost to the eventual premiers in week 3) and won the competition the next season so they were still a high achieving team. We consistently get told that we don’t have a team of superstars so why would we struggle to keep together a team that can’t make it past week 2 of the finals?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Conversely do we risk letting him walk where he ends up becoming an elite player elsewhere instead of us while we’re stuck with the next Kabe Evans. Which scenario do you think is more likely out of the two?
My point is it doesn't matter if he becomes an elite player elsewhere. Every club has elite players that don't play for us. Why should it matter if one used to play for us? If he's getting elite money they aren't getting great value out of him and neither would we if he'd stayed.

We had a few players on unders this year and we'll have a few on unders next year as well. Why would that change for 2023 unless we start matching stupid offers from desperate rivals?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Matt Burton signed with Canterbury after the Panthers made the grand final. He was stuck behind Luai who is an origin player. Who is Papali’i stuck behind? Tino signed with the Titans when the Storm finished minor premiers (who lost to the eventual premiers in week 3) and won the competition the next season so they were still a high achieving team. We consistently get told that we don’t have a team of superstars so why would we struggle to keep together a team that can’t make it past week 2 of the finals?
We've got too many players on $500k to afford any on $1M+

lucablight

First Grade
My point is it doesn't matter if he becomes an elite player elsewhere. Every club has elite players that don't play for us. Why should it matter if one used to play for us? If he's getting elite money they aren't getting great value out of him and neither would we if he'd stayed.

We had a few players on unders this year and we'll have a few on unders next year as well. Why would that change for 2023 unless we start matching stupid offers from desperate rivals?
Your whole argument is contingent on the assumption that he wouldn’t be worth big money. Neither you or I know whether he would be but we can both make educated guesses at to which scenario is more likely out of him being a one year wonder or having a breakout season and remaining one of the top forwards in the game. Can you give me a similar example of a week 2 team with no grand final appearances struggling to hang onto their star players?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your whole argument is contingent on the assumption that he wouldn’t be worth big money.
Wrong.

It is contingent on the possibility that paying him based on the form of a single season would be overpaying him for the form he would show over the length of the contract.

On top of this, since we have a bunch of merkins on unders, we are unable to pay them all what they are worth. We couldn't fit them all under the cap. So the only players we should pay at their full value are the ones who have proved over multiple years that they are worth it.

So my point is that overpaying a player is worse than missing out on one who would've only signed at his full value. If Papali'i won't sign for what we are offering, that cap space won't disappear. It's for 2023 ffs. There's plenty of time to make some other decisions with that money.

lucablight

First Grade
Wrong.

It is contingent on the possibility that paying him based on the form of a single season would be overpaying him for the form he would show over the length of the contract.

On top of this, since we have a bunch of merkins on unders, we are unable to pay them all what they are worth. We couldn't fit them all under the cap. So the only players we should pay at their full value are the ones who have proved over multiple years that they are worth it.

So my point is that overpaying a player is worse than missing out on one who would've only signed at his full value. If Papali'i won't sign for what we are offering, that cap space won't disappear. It's for 2023 ffs. There's plenty of time to make some other decisions with that money.
So you’re literally operating on the assumption that he’s more likely to have been a one season wonder rather than having a breakout season. What other club has let their best performing forward sign elsewhere like this in recent times? Can you name a similar example? I find it incredulous that a club that hasn’t had any grand final success would be in a position to let their best performing forward go elsewhere. It’s also incredible that we have so many players on unders yet have nothing to show for it. Imagine if we had a roster where we had to pay players what they were worth.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If we lose Papa to a club like the Tigers even if they are offering more is a little embarrassing. Especially after just losing Marata. The captain and his slimeball manager aren’t helping things at all.