What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Incompetence by our club if true.

I'm not sure its "competent" to pay overs for some one after 1 good year. He couldn't get an NRL gig till we picked him up.

You pay overs and you have weaknesses in other areas. I would imagine balancing a salary cap is a nightmare for some clubs but we seem to be in a decent position atm.

He's not the only fish in the sea and he hasn't gone anywhere just yet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There is no loyalty Sneaky. Players just chase the dollar these days

Barnstorming Eels back-rower Isaiah Papali'i looks set to knock back a massive approach from the new Dolphins franchise for 2023, leaving his future a two-horse race.

Papali'i's manager Daniel O'Loughlin has told Wide World of Sports that the much-improved forward doesn't want to leave Sydney.

Gronk

Staff member
If we lose Papa to a club like the Tigers even if they are offering more is a little embarrassing. Especially after just losing Marata. The captain and his slimeball manager aren’t helping things at all.
I think that Marata was going home anyway, so it’s unlikely that us matching NZ offers would have made a difference.

Unsure what a successful clubs (with a legit cap, ie no sombrero) do when shit clubs offer overs. Do you match crazy money, throw your cap out of balance and create an inflationary mood with other squad players seeking similar coin or do you hold your nerve and be prepared to walk away ?

Agree that our already well paid captain, playing his soap opera negotiations out in the media, only makes the process harder. I don’t get angry very often, but this is making my blood boil.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think that Marata was going home anyway, so it’s unlikely that us matching NZ offers would have made a difference.

Unsure what a successful clubs (with a legit cap, ie no sombrero) do when shit clubs offer overs. Do you match crazy money, throw your cap out of balance and create an inflationary mood with other squad players seeking similar coin or do you hold your nerve and be prepared to walk away ?

Agree that our already well paid captain, playing his soap opera negotiations out in the media only makes the process harder. I don’t get angry very often, but this is making my blood boil.
What’s crazy money?? We offered him 425k plus a top up and for what he offered this year is big unders. Is he a one season wonder?? At 23 you’d think he’s only going to improve.

Hindy made a good point if it was still June 30 we’d have another half season to see his worth so it makes it harder for us. Oh for a sombrero!!!

emjaycee

Coach
I can't find any articles about Gutho's contract dramas that are newer than 7 days when I search google. What is getting played out in the media by either Gutho or the club? That we made an offer of $750k for 2 years and his management is trying to get him 3 years? If that's all it is then the whole 'drama' is like a storm in a teacup FFS.

The Eel

Juniors
I can't find any articles about Gutho's contract dramas that are newer than 7 days when I search google. What is getting played out in the media by either Gutho or the club? That we made an offer of $750k for 2 years and his management is trying to get him 3 years? If that's all it is then the whole 'drama' is like a storm in a teacup FFS.
I don't care anymore. I am over all this contract crap. They can all leave if they want to

Gronk

Staff member
What’s crazy money?? We offered him 425k plus a top up and for what he offered this year is big unders. Is he a one season wonder?? At 23 you’d think he’s only going to improve.

Hindy made a good point if it was still June 30 we’d have another half season to see his worth so it makes it harder for us. Oh for a sombrero!!!
Unsure why everyone is so stressed about lowballing offers. That’s what happens is the marketplace for anything. You go in low, they start high and you see if you can meet in the middle. Have you not been to Bali ? 😜

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Unsure why everyone is so stressed about lowballing offers. That’s what happens is the marketplace for anything. You go in low, they start high and you see if you can meet in the middle. Have you not been to Bali ? 😜
Bali is a third world shithole and not for me, my mates all have been and rave on about it. I think I need better mates

strider

Post Whore
I'm just saying the facts. He was great most the season but did have games towards end of year where he looked a bit burnt out. Was he better then Jnr and RCG? I still don't think so.
agree - he seemed to have less impact later in the season ... but he was also playing more middle later in the season - where it can be a tough grind .... though he ripped it up through the middle in the early games of the year

I think thats part of why he is good - versatility to play both middle and edge

you could be right, he may have played out of his skin for a period ..... but it at least showed what he can offer with the right motivation ..... I bet f**kIN Madge will f**kIN get the f**kIN best out of him - f**kIN

hineyrulz

Post Whore
agree - he seemed to have less impact later in the season ... but he was also playing more middle later in the season - where it can be a tough grind .... though he ripped it up through the middle in the early games of the year

I think thats part of why he is good - versatility to play both middle and edge

you could be right, he may have played out of his skin for a period ..... but it at least showed what he can offer with the right motivation ..... I bet f**kIN Madge will f**kIN get the f**kIN best out of him - f**kIN
“Papailllllllli is always in the mother f**king game”

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
how much is Papa worth to us?

based on media talk our current offer is approx $500k for 2 years (when you factor in our upgrade for 2022).

I reckon that’s a pretty fair first offer…..

if tigers want to pay more that’s their problem…

If papa doesn’t resign, we have $500k or so to sign someone else….

King-Gutho94

Coach
Bali is a third world shithole and not for me, my mates all have been and rave on about it. I think I need better mates
Your favourite coach BA loves Bali

Parra signed him up in 2013 when he was on holidays over there.

I agree though Bali looks like a shithole i would never go there. Especially the corrupt cops over there who just want to rip off tourists

chiefy1

Bench

based on media talk our current offer is approx $500k for 2 years (when you factor in our upgrade for 2022).

Who lol, don't forget with the new franchise, good players in demand will be snapped up very quickly.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Your whole argument is contingent on the assumption that he wouldn’t be worth big money. Neither you or I know whether he would be but we can both make educated guesses at to which scenario is more likely out of him being a one year wonder or having a breakout season and remaining one of the top forwards in the game. Can you give me a similar example of a week 2 team with no grand final appearances struggling to hang onto their star players?

Are we struggling? Or are we just refusing to pay more then what we think they are worth….

Reckon we could easily re-sign all our off contract players, but then you and others will then complain about us struggling to make the top 8, losing promising juniors and signing players like Webb, Harrison, Walker, Roberts……

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
One aspect of the Pap story that people are forgetting is that the Tigers are using him a a contingency for if Luciano leaves. It might even be the case that they are using Pap to drive down Luciano's price. If he stays at Tigertown, they won't be paying big money for 2 second rowers.

Glenneel

Bench
N.Brown had his worse season with us this year over his 5yr period. I still think he was injured.
In 2017 -2019 for 3 seasons straight he was constantly our best forward in most games. 2020 he was still quite good.
Yes this season was below par for N.Brown but he still had so,e very good games.

He will start 2022 at age 29. We will get a good season out of him. Of course I would prefer Papali'i but your missing the point. N.Brown at his peak was excellent. Papali'i as great as he was I personally felt went off the boil the last month or so of footy. I'm unsure he has played at a high level consistently enough for a long enough period to pay up too much. It's a risk.

N.Brown was a known quantity.
Nrown was playing injured with a foot problem that required surgery and injury to other leg. Probably should not have played last few games.