What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Lemon Squash

First Grade
As a few have mentioned previously if Mahoney signed with the Dolphins, I could understand and cop it. They have a war chest of funds to sign players and need a kill. Surprised they haven’t thrown silly money at someone yet to get something across the line. Secondly he is a local great chance to move back to QLD hometown boy comes good etc

But for him to go to the Dogs, A - where the f**k are the dogs getting the coin from? surely we should be able to compete with their offer and B - they let him go as a junior and I have read comments prior he was quite devo at the time etc but Parra took him in and it has worked well.. his whole fam are Parra supporters also.

The club is always bigger than the player, but there are a few things now that aren’t making sense.

84 Baby

Referee
Heard a rumour that no decision has been made and the club employed an unlikely negotiator to help over the weekend (possibly like in a Ray Price with his teammates negotiation)

Cloeel

Juniors
As a few have mentioned previously if Mahoney signed with the Dolphins, I could understand and cop it. They have a war chest of funds to sign players and need a kill. Surprised they haven’t thrown silly money at someone yet to get something across the line. Secondly he is a local great chance to move back to QLD hometown boy comes good etc

But for him to go to the Dogs, A - where the f**k are the dogs getting the coin from? surely we should be able to compete with their offer and B - they let him go as a junior and I have read comments prior he was quite devo at the time etc but Parra took him in and it has worked well.. his whole fam are Parra supporters also.

The club is always bigger than the player, but there are a few things now that aren’t making sense.

A lot of people are talking as if he is leaving... maybe I am missing something?

He has not signed anything yet. I would be quite surprised if he went to the Bulldogs.

84 Baby

Referee
And I’ve come around to the comments by McDuffman. Time to employ an old school NRL trope….. SIEGE MENTALITY!

Strange thing , is when the Storm or others adopt the same stance, they are praised for not letting the cap get out of whack and lauded as an example .

The Eels do it, and as they actually sell media in Sydney, the bottom feeders take a different view and we get where we are. They wonder why circulation falls.
but those clubs play in GF's regularly and win premierships every, well less than 35years ago.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I like change. Change is good so what will be will be. I think the most important players in Parras future are Moses, Dylbags and RCG and that trio are looking ok at the moment. Im hoping El Zakem (sp) gets an opportunity next season. He looked super tough.
Without being critical, as Hindy pointed out, last seasons roster couldnt get it done so change is inevitable. Ennis with Rheed could be a bottler but he could also work some magic on our new "9" recruits as well. Roll on game 1. Cant wait. Gotta do a beer this year @emjaycee

TheRam

Coach
If every player gave as much effort as King Gutho does in every game, premierships would be mounting up. Inspirational player...never stops trying, and that's all anyone could or should ask....

And to tell their manager to shut the f**k up during contract negotiating time. Not a big ask is it? Would he really had much of a different outcome had it not played out in the media the way it did?

From where I'm sitting all he has achieved is to piss off a lot of fans and even more importantly set a terrible example to the rest of the squad that it is acceptable behaviour to leverage your club through the media and fuel for negative public headlines.

Angry_eel

First Grade
And to tell their manager to shut the f**k up during contract negotiating time. Not a big ask is it? Would he really had much of a different outcome had it not played out in the media the way it did?

From where I'm sitting all he has achieved is to piss off a lot of fans and even more importantly set a terrible example to the rest of the squad that it is acceptable behaviour to leverage your club through the media and fuel for negative public headlines.
At least he's done it in the off season. I won't give a flying f**k come rnd 1. Important thing is he's signed.

strider

Post Whore

I don't think this played out in the media as much as people make out ... I would actually say Mahoney's dealing is playing out in the media just as much, but no one is all up in arms about it

Fans are only pissed cos we want rainbows and unicorns 24/7 365 days a year

Players are in the same position as him - they all go through it and it's their jobs from which they all want as good a pay day as they can get, I don't think any of them will be putting much thought into it ....... this isn't the 80s any more - what Pricey did was cool then, but it don't mean shit nowdays

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol @ comparing us losing Mahoney to the Scum loooooosing Smith.

Firstly they have a decent back up in Grant and secondly they’ve won the same amount GF’s the last 5 years that we’ve won finals.

When you are successful you loooooooooooose players that’s how the cap works but a week 2 finals side shouldn’t be getting picked apart like we seen to be. Maybe the chase the collision message isn’t resonating with the players like the coach and club think it is. I know if I were Gus I would of told Mahoney you’ll last longer in the NRL away from the collision chaser………

T-Boon

Coach
The damage that is done when star players switch clubs within Sydney (so usually to a bitter rival and also the player remains in your face every week) is understated if you ask me. A bit the like the wife leaving you, it is worse if it is for your neighbor so you see her every day.
The worst was probably the Tedesco one but they are all little paper cuts to the fan who keeps wondering what it is he loves about the club he supports because it isn't the players or the jerseys (which are billboards).

Noise

Coach
You can't see that this is exactly what is happening to us ? Sadly teams are picking the eyes out of our roster because our players have been sourced for unders and our club has enabled them to grow into a highly sourced after commodity.
Depends what your idea of successful is. Getting bundled out week 2 of the finals 3 of the last 4 years plus a spoon isn't my idea of success.

Latest posts