What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They only won a comp with Burton knowing at the start of the season he wouldn't be at the club, and Naden and Capewell for the later rounds and final series.
Clubs don't string off contract players along. The ones who left all would've known they wouldn't be there the following year. They could literally at the difference between the Panthers offer (if there even was one) and the bigger offers from more desperate rivals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Very good post. I think people are forgetting how effective Mitch Rein is and how tough he can be. He is a very astute signing and will do a job for us in 2022 seeing that Mahoney is still recovering from major shoulder surgery. I watched some recent videos with him at the Titans and he was impressive and even at age 31 probably still quicker than Mahoney at dummy half.

People like to put shit on Ray Stone but he is probably one of my favourite players at Parra. Tough, hits hard in defence with good pace/step for a forward. I still remember the try he scored when he stood up the fullback at Bankwest Stadium to score under the posts.

I’m tipping him for a breakout season next year where he will show why he was a former rep player at schoolboy level.

Also don’t underestimate Curtis Scott if he gets a chance to reignite his career. You don’t get $700k contracts if you can’t play. He will make that Slovenian merkin look second rate especially in attack.
One thing Rein brings a lot more of than Mahoney is experience. The only risk due to his age is injury, which seems to be a risk for Mahoney as well.

As for Curtis Scott, most merkins as quick as him aren't the best defenders. He has a rare mix. The kind of player who can reliably stop fullbacks and wingers one-on-one on the kick chase.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We still had a fit will smith for the semi final. Yet BA choose stone to start. It’s no surprise BA devalues the position. Everyone was questioning BA back than. Not sure how it’s defendable
Well he's an NRL coach with a hundred wins under his belt. His critics aren't.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
One minute: "It's not Stone's fault he f**ked up at dummy half 3 times in the last 15min against Penrith, he's not a 9. We would have won with Mahoney"

Next minute: "Mahoney's gone and not worth the money, we could use Stone as dummy half"
Stone was a much better dummy half this year than last year. I'm sure he'll be better again next year. You know it's a skill that can be improved right? I'm sure Stone won't suddenly be expected to be the fulcrum of our attack. Reed Mahoney isn't.

84 Baby

Referee
They are all good decent options.

But Robson is very good, potentially better then Mahoney. We lose nothing with him. If we picked him up for less or similar amount then what we offered Mahoney, we are winners in this hooker shit show …..

also factor in the sides Liddle / Robson are playing in (bottom 4)….just playing in our side will make them better…
I know we tend to overrate our own players and I admittedly haven’t observed Robson that much but I doubt he’s better than Mahoney.
We’d be silly (I say silly but seriously if this option wasn’t be discussed 5 minutes after Mahoney told them, then it’s serious incompetence) to not at least explore Korisau.
Robson at the right price is a ‘safe’ signing.
Liddle is wholehearted but he’s a big BIG jump down in skills/smarts

IFR33K

Coach
They are all good decent options.

But Robson is very good, potentially better then Mahoney. We lose nothing with him. If we picked him up for less or similar amount then what we offered Mahoney, we are winners in this hooker shit show …..

also factor in the sides Liddle / Robson are playing in (bottom 4)….just playing in our side will make them better…

I’m sure I could dig up posts where you’ve said Mahoney is better then grant and one of the best 9’s in the game. Since Mahoney signed with the dogs, all of a sudden Robson is potentially better then him? Haha glad you can find positives in a shit load of hypotheticals. Would Robson only be better than Mahoney if he joins the eels? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Looks to me, and the whole of civilisation except this forum . . . that they couldn't wait to get out of there.
Also rhyno, a tip for you at no charge. Don't go using the word "you's" here, or avenger will be very cross with you. Ironic, because it was made famous by one of your ex-players. A bloke by the name of Jeff that used to play for youse.

I know you're a troll, and you're not here to add any value - but "couldn't wait to get out of" here?

Is that why it took weeks for them to sign elsewhere?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’m sure I could dig up posts where you’ve said Mahoney is better then grant and one of the best 9’s in the game. Since Mahoney signed with the dogs, all of a sudden Robson is potentially better then him? Haha glad you can positives in a shit load of hypotheticals. Would Robson only be better than Mahoney if he joins the eels? Asking for a friend.
Have a look not sure, let me know.

Also while you are there look at my recent posts where I said Mahoney was our most important re-signing and that I am pretty disappointed we didn’t re-sign him especially when it appears the dogs offer was only $650k or so, which I reckon we could have got close to (not necessarily match)

but yep I rate Mahoney pretty high and reckon he is very very good, and one of the better 9’s in the comp (with potential to be the best).

Was even arguing that he still had plenty of improvement in him when you and others were saying he was pretty average after 2020….

Anyhow, I have suggested a few dummy half options, but only Robson have I said is potentially better then Mahoney….have you seen Robson play? Or watched his development from a dragons junior playing junior reps to now? He was even picked in front of Mahoney for the junior kangaroos, not that, that means much ….but I rate him highly !!

Reactions: Ck9

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Rein is better than midget mahoney. In 12 months from now, we'll be saying we dodged a bullet...

And I bet the little gnome will be injured most of the season