What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
If you can demonstrate that when we lose a back our biggest problem is scoring tries, rather than stopping them - then I will concede defeat graciously. I reckon, without having any stats to prove it, that we leak tries when we lose a back, yet scoring points isn't an issue.
In round 1, we didn’t score a try once JA came on the field. We could only muster 1 try against the Cowboys, but we dominated the rubbish Knights with 6 tries. So in 2 1/2 games we’ve only managed 7 tries.

Standby for last year’s stats.

Update: across 7 full games last year we scored 19 tries

So across all games where Jake was on the field, we average 2.74 tries per game. That’s pretty shit house.

If we look at defence when Jake is on the field, we’ve leaked 36 tries at 3.79 per game.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Jake has got onto the field 3 times this year. We went from a comfortable lead to scraping home for a win to the team coming second last in one of them, we got belted against the Cowboys and we beat the lowly Knights.
We belted the Knights and ate today up against a team that is more Knights than Cowboys.

Happy MEel

First Grade
How did it almost cost us in round one? Our defence collapsed on the opposite side of the field. It was classic Parra switching off with a big lead, not anything Arthur did.
It did. But I think you underestimate the impact of an inability to score points. We are a confidence team so once we get on a roll, we need to stay in control. I think JA has a negative impact on the attack of those around him. Moses then needs to be “the man” and it takes Lane’s attacking strength out of the equation. If the team feels they can’t score points, that seems to be when we shit the bed the most.

hindy111

Post Whore
Are you saying that we shouldn't play hard ball to keep Papa (or someone else that we might have our eye on) over Nrown ? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too.

We are in a premiership window. Is B.Brown in your best 17? He is in mine. BA needs to sort him out if he is being a pain in arse and get him back in side for finals.
Pou always talks about experience. He is our most experienced.

hindy111

Post Whore
Unsure why you have to say silly things. I'm not backing any position and have said many times that I am agnostic to team selections. The point is this; 1) the coach wants a back on the bench when Marata isn't starting, and 2) the club have taken a position with Nathan Brown that they don't want him on the books for 2023 if they can wrangle it.

I don't give a shit if he picks Fred Nerk on the bench as cover for 1-7, as long as it's the best solution. I've been trying to tease out what is the best solution this morning, but you guys can't help yourself but slip into the LOL Jake farce.

Again with Fred Nerk. Sick about hearing of this guy. Probably a merkin

hindy111

Post Whore
In games I have seen Rankin looks twice as good as Jake.
I wouldn't have JA as my back up half. He'd be in under 20s still. Not sure he is NSW cupnlevel even

Gronk

Staff member
In games I have seen Rankin looks twice as good as Jake.
I wouldn't have JA as my back up half. He'd be in under 20s still. Not sure he is NSW cupnlevel even
Fair point, but Rankin is not Top 30. So dealing with the actual issue here, you need to pick a player in your Top 30 or (like Rodwell) a development player.

Gronk

Staff member
So did Lockyer but it was basically a full time move to 6 from 1.
Back to Munster, he was shifted to fullback when needed mostly during Billy Slater's career.

He's also played FB this year IIRC and Belly makes no secret that he's happy to switch him there if needed..

1657849954527.png

I think basic issue isn't with Jake as such... it's the selection of Jake, and the impacts.

If Jake is the bench backline cover, then (if needed) it means either Moses or Brown are no longer in the halves. It's not rocket science to observe that when one of any teams' first choice halves are absent from that role, the team are more likely to struggle to score and/or struggle to defend in the way they usually do (and train to do).

So when Marata is unable to provide that backline injury cover (like this week, when we're down Matterson in the pack), it comes down to which back the coach selects on the bench. Any other back in the top 30, and with a backline injury it's likely it's likely we get to keep Moses and Brown in their halves roles (unless it's them who have sufferent the injury, in which case you'd expect Gutherson can cover a role in attack as needed).

Other backs in the 30 that could be used as bench cover rather than Jake? Perham, Opacic, Russell (when fit)... and then we get into development player options (given I think we still only have 29 in our top 30?). That bench selection/tactic is the issue people are having (among others), more so than having issues with Jake himself - who is young and tries hard at what he can do.

(Though the surname certainly doesn't help when the tactic is questionable...)

Latest posts