What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Cloeel

Juniors
The other thing I was thinking about with players is menatlity.
JA has been booed and copped a hiding for weeks. Imagine being in his shoes and getting picked to play at Manly and knowing the pressure is on to win.
Game on the line and as a 19yr old he pulled of 2 of the biggest plays of the game to win it for us. That's composure.
This is something many fans don't notice but the pressure he was under was immense. He handled it very well and didn't let it effect his game.

That's my issue with Moses. He gets so emotional during a game and loses the plot to often in big moments. Yes JA might be slow and lacks attacking brilliance but his mentality and composure is awesome. I also believe that's that is hard to change. You can improve it but it isn't something you are born with.

People underestimate the gravity of exactly what you spoke about.

Not many players have iced a game at a packed Brookvale oval.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Your not worried if we have spent 2 million on our halves what the rest of the squad may look like?
Look what SOS did yesterday good solid calm half with a good kick game. Also our best win of the season was this week if ask me. A fired up Manly playing for their season at home and down 14-8. We even butchered a few tries or where wrongly denied. Could of hit 50.
Well the Panthers would be outlaying close to 1.9 for their halves and they’re able to put a pretty good team around them. I don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to either.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The other thing I was thinking about with players is menatlity.
JA has been booed and copped a hiding for weeks. Imagine being in his shoes and getting picked to play at Manly and knowing the pressure is on to win.
Game on the line and as a 19yr old he pulled of 2 of the biggest plays of the game to win it for us. That's composure.
This is something many fans don't notice but the pressure he was under was immense. He handled it very well and didn't let it effect his game.

That's my issue with Moses. He gets so emotional during a game and loses the plot to often in big moments. Yes JA might be slow and lacks attacking brilliance but his mentality and composure is awesome. I also believe that's that is hard to change. You can improve it but it isn't something you are born with.

I'm glad you mentioned that, mate - I was thinking the same thing.

I would not have been surprised if he was very tentative, or out of sorts - but imo, he played really well, and made some very clutch plays.

He is still learning to play at First Grade level, but he's coming along nicely, imo.

IFR33K

Coach
In comparison to paying Moses 1m+ When Moses may not be worth 1m+ to us.

Keeping Moses with how DB is progressing could be detrimental to our squad balance.

Last year moses was our primary attacking half and we seen how our attack functioned. Especially late in the season. IIRC the dogs were on average scoring more tries than us.

now we have two attacking halves that defend exceptionally (for halves) and look a real threat if we can sort out our edge defense. If we’ve afforded to keep Moses at 800k not sure we can’t at 1 mill. We’ve got some cheap players coming thru, hopefully this will offset Moses’ increase.

not sure id want to disrupt our halves pairing when they’re firing.

Soto

Bench
Always said that if we had an injury that we put him in. We don’t have anyone else. And he set up two nice tries on Friday. First half was very average for him. I think what got most fans offside was earlier in the year BA chose to move Dylan brown out of position to accomodate Jake. Poor coaching move.
Completely agree with this.
"I think what got most fans offside was earlier in the year BA chose to move Dylan brown out of position to accomodate Jake. Poor coaching move"

I remember watching JA and Russell play and win the Schoolboys cup.
He set up a few tries, directed the team around the park well.
He can play but massive difference playing against 16-18 yr olds and seasoned 1st graders.
The kid did really well the other night as he didn't overplay his hand and chimed in really well at the perfect time to get us back on level terms and then help extend the lead.
I hope there are massive cheers for him on Fri night. He deserves it. Any f*$#wit who boos him should be removed.
When Moses is back though he should not be in the 17. Not right for the balance of the squad.
Exciting 4 weeks coming up.
Last 2 weeks have shown we are very capable to win any game ahead.

strider

Post Whore
Well the Panthers would be outlaying close to 1.9 for their halves and they’re able to put a pretty good team around them. I don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to either.

Im guessing we will be outlaying over 2m for ours .... the dolphins would love either of them if they cant land Munster.

What is Luai on? You think he is on 800k? ... i wouldnt be surprised if its less. Maybe 600-650k (ffs, i just read the article, 650) ... i reckon he would be keen to stay at penrith and very likely to sacrifice some $s to do so. Local, friends, family.

Soto

Bench
It depends if we think they can win a title in those next contracts. We’ve already gone pretty much all in with Gutho, Junior, RCG, etc. so might be sort forced that way anyway
Isn't there an increase in the cap coming up? Or has that happened?

84 Baby

Referee
Isn't there an increase in the cap coming up? Or has that happened?
That probably does help a bit at the top end in terms of individual % increases, but most players are definitely going to see any cap increase % as a same increase to their own salaries

Happy MEel

First Grade
Luai signed for 650k it was quoted. And Nathan signed for 1 mill
The article I quoted above suggests otherwise. If you can believe zerotackle, they have Luai on $700
Im guessing we will be outlaying over 2m for ours .... the dolphins would love either of them if they cant land Munster.

What is Luai on? You think he is on 800k? ... i wouldnt be surprised if its less. Maybe 600-650k ... i reckon he would be keen to stay at penrith and very likely to sacrifice some $s to do so. Local, friends, family.
I reckon Cleary’s on $1.1-1.2 and Luai’s on $650-700k.

Gronk

Staff member
Ricky was pretty weak walking out on parra when he did.

But it's not like I hold a grudge 😉.
Me either*.

* Bugger, I should have put it in the Put shit on Ricky thread.

Gronk

Staff member
No I’m not worried. That’s where the money should go to decent halves. Not to our over paid fullback. Gutho played his best game of the season against Manly but based on his overall season/s has not warranted that massive contract. Error by the club. He’s been overpaid by 300k
He doesn’t play Friday night and we don’t win.

That sentence coukd be used many times this year.

Soto

Bench
That probably does help a bit at the top end in terms of individual % increases, but most players are definitely going to see any cap increase % as a same increase to their own salaries
Fair and this where promotion of juniors can probably help balance that as theoretically shouldn't be paying them a seasoned quality 1st graders salary unless they are exceptional and a must keep.

Completely agree with this.
"I think what got most fans offside was earlier in the year BA chose to move Dylan brown out of position to accomodate Jake. Poor coaching move"

I remember watching JA and Russell play and win the Schoolboys cup.
He set up a few tries, directed the team around the park well.
He can play but massive difference playing against 16-18 yr olds and seasoned 1st graders.
The kid did really well the other night as he didn't overplay his hand and chimed in really well at the perfect time to get us back on level terms and then help extend the lead.
I hope there are massive cheers for him on Fri night. He deserves it. Any f*$#wit who boos him should be removed.
When Moses is back though he should not be in the 17. Not right for the balance of the squad.
Exciting 4 weeks coming up.
Last 2 weeks have shown we are very capable to win any game ahead.
Agree 100% the people that boo him are Morons, it’s slack. Agree on Moses l when he’s back Jake should be back straight down helping reserve grade and developing further. None of this bench spot bullshit.