What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Maybe matto just doesn't take shit from no merkin and doesn't give a shit what people think of him. Who knew he had a charity and did all these things for kids???? He doesn't promote it, so I guess he does it from his heart and not for his own recognition....which is admirable

As for his falling out at the tigers, who knows what really happened. Maybe he just stood up for what he believes in...

As for this suspension saga, the more I think about it, the more I'm coming around. f**k the nrl. It's obvious they favour certain teams. It's obvious the eels are not nrl darlings and always cop the rough end...

f**k the nrl
I just fell off my chair. And fwiw there is a charity but there is a business attached, NDIS based. (Not judging, its where my income originates, but just trying to introduce some facts into the convo)

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the thought process (or lack thereof) behind Matto’s decision. The only thing I can think of is that he told the club he wanted to fight it. The club responds it’s not worth it, just pay the fine and move on. Matto tells the club to get f**ked, he’ll take the suspension then.

The Club: “WTF Matto?”

Still makes Matto a merkin.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Happy MEel

First Grade
Or there are other opinions. I get both sides.

I’m not saying this is definitely Matto’s situation, but just because you own a charity, doesn’t mean you aren’t benefiting from it. People who own charities can take a decent wage from that business, as well as use it as a tax write off. IMO, the fact he has this business doesn’t excuse this merkin behaviour.

Gronk

Staff member
I’m not saying this is definitely Matto’s situation, but just because you own a charity, doesn’t mean you aren’t benefiting from it. People who own charities can take a decent wage from that business, as well as use it as a tax write off. IMO, the fact he has this business doesn’t excuse this merkin behaviour.
Well yeah we are all still guessing.

His disability services gig may well be non profit OR as a new business he could be burning cash OR they could be cashing in on NDIS funding.

I do think that merkins are misreporting what is going on. The facts are that he said he WON'T pay the fine and they can get f**ked. We all have different values and principles and can we really be so judgy against a guy who we know does more in the philanthropy sector in a week that most of us do in years ? Are we looking at this through a narrow minded footy lense instead of recognising what Matto thinks is just as (or possibly more) important ? I get the anger, but I also get that some people are wired differently.

$2.4MILLION Parramatta Eels Star Claims He Can’t Pay $4000 Fine From NRL Grand Final​

Glenneel

Bench
I'm also suprised some think Dunster could be a star. I think he could be an ok NRL player. Nothing more. I feel average would be his ceiling.
His may even be flushed out and not play NRL again. He isn't taking SIVO spot. Simmonson,Russel are all ahead of him. Cini most likely as well plus Waqa if still here.
Don't see him getting into our side in 2023.
How good is Cini? A few here have talked him up but is he better than what we already have in Simonsson?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well yeah we are all still guessing.

His disability services gig may well be non profit OR they could be cashing in on NDIS funding.

I do think that merkins are misreporting what is going on. The facts are that he said he WON'T pay the fine and they can get f**ked. We all have different values and principles and can we really be so judgy against a guy who we know does more in the philanthropy sector in a week that most of us do in years ? Are we looking at this through a narrow minded footy lense instead of recognising what Matto thinks is just as (or possibly more) important ? I get the anger, but I also get that some people are wired differently.

$2.4MILLION Parramatta Eels Star Claims He Can’t Pay $4000 Fine From NRL Grand Final​

It can be non-profit and he can still take a wage. Same as it can be non-profit and the business is cashing in on the NDIS. He could also be doing it purely out of the goodness of his heart and obtaining no benefit whatsoever.

What we do know is that he made a decision to the detriment of the team and the club I love. Unless he wants to provide any further mitigating circumstances other than I wanted to give it to the NRL and what about Luai, he’s a merkin with a “c” in my eyes.

Gronk

Staff member
I’ve got no idea how he’s aligned to the charity. I was just going off a previous post that he owns a charity. What was the point?
I don't think it's a charity. It's a disability service. He's the make-a-wish version of the disability sector. He takes kids to the beach, zoo, weekends away etc.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I don't think it's a charity. It's a disability service. He's the make-a-wish version of the disability sector. He takes kids to the beach, zoo, weekends away etc.
It doesn’t really change my point whether it’s a charity, non-profit or commercial enterprise (except for the potential tax benefits).

It’s irrelevant, but it looks like there’s a non-profit charity attached to the service.

Last edited:

Latest posts