What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Zero Tackle has him on 500k a season that's way too much for a centre that has not improved over his time at the club.
At the time he had only had one good season and was in poor form. There's a reason the Panthers wanted to let him go and no reason we would've paid on potential. It's not how our club does things. We are bargain hunters. We have lowballed every merkin since 2019.

hindy111

Post Whore
At the time he had only had one good season and was in poor form. There's a reason the Panthers wanted to let him go and no reason we would've paid on potential. It's not how our club does things. We are bargain hunters. We have lowballed every merkin since 2019.

I reckon he is costing us maybe 400k. And maybe 300k previous year when they chipped in.
He is worth 300k. Maybe even 350k. 400k wouldn't be huge overs. Not one that gets you in trouble.
It's when you sign a guy for 750k+ who flops and ends up worth 300k.

Or even N.Brown who would be costing close to 500k and barely playing NRL. Unsure why fans want to pick on Waqa.

JokerEel

Coach
I reckon he is costing us maybe 400k. And maybe 300k previous year when they chipped in.
He is worth 300k. Maybe even 350k. 400k wouldn't be huge overs. Not one that gets you in trouble.
It's when you sign a guy for 750k+ who flops and ends up worth 300k.

Or even N.Brown who would be costing close to 500k and barely playing NRL. Unsure why fans want to pick on Waqa.

Brown is hopefully gone soon to the Tigers.

If we can snag a good replacement centre for Waqa that would be great..

84 Baby

Referee
We already have Cini waiting for his chance. Big upside. Small contract.
Waqa’s replacement, in terms of salary everyone is talking about, is Penisini.
We likely then replace Penisini with Waqa (on a lesser deal) or an outsider.

Ideally with the massive cap increase and our core team still here, if we perform well this year and hoping/assuming we structured our cap in such a way, then we go all out for a ridiculously priced big name (preferably short-mid term). Given current team that could be a centre or hooker. Or an edge. Or a fullback, if Gutherson were to move to centre (preferably not but if it accomodates a big name fullback so be it)

Eelogical

Referee
Waqa’s replacement, in terms of salary everyone is talking about, is Penisini.
We likely then replace Penisini with Waqa (on a lesser deal) or an outsider.

Ideally with the massive cap increase and our core team still here, if we perform well this year and hoping/assuming we structured our cap in such a way, then we go all out for a ridiculously priced big name (preferably short-mid term). Given current team that could be a centre or hooker. Or an edge. Or a fullback, if Gutherson were to move to centre (preferably not but if it accomodates a big name fullback so be it)
Gutho won't go to centre....period. Cap increase just means that all merkins will expect more money. It doesn't mean we'll be any better off in the used player market.

84 Baby

Referee
Gutho won't go to centre....period. Cap increase just means that all merkins will expect more money. It doesn't mean we'll be any better off in the used player market.
It can in the short term.
If there is a significant amount of non-ratcheted salary (that’s fixed salary not tied to cap increases), it generates cap space. This was a sudden and significant increase so it’s definitely possible.
And if we’re performing strongly the cap space can be sold to a high quality mercenary.
Keeping that contract short term means the cap isn’t hurt when those older contracts catch up to cap increase.
Obviously there’s a lot of assumptions, but I did preface my post with “Ideally” and added “hoping”.

84 Baby

Referee
And Gutho played centre in Origin because Tedesco played fullback. Tedesco is the level of player I’d use that artificial cap space on (although not saying he will be in couple years nor that I’d chase him)

Eelogical

Referee
It can in the short term.
If there is a significant amount of non-ratcheted salary (that’s fixed salary not tied to cap increases), it generates cap space. This was a sudden and significant increase so it’s definitely possible.
And if we’re performing strongly the cap space can be sold to a high quality mercenary.
Keeping that contract short term means the cap isn’t hurt when those older contracts catch up to cap increase.
Obviously there’s a lot of assumptions, but I did preface my post with “Ideally” and added “hoping”.
In my assessment it just means means that player merkins get richer (and their managers). The structure and benefits won't change, it's just another way of the NRL selling the game to the masses without doing anything constructive.

84 Baby

Referee
In my assessment it just means means that player merkins get richer (and their managers). The structure and benefits won't change, it's just another way of the NRL selling the game to the masses without doing anything constructive.
Your assessment is narrow minded and probably self-fulfilling.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You realise Blake is on $550k.
Possible but unlikely. I just don't see the demand for him being high enough to require that salary. When we signed him in 2019 he had just come off a good season (in 2018) but in 2019 he was already 24 and playing like a $200k player: 2 linebreaks and 1 try in 10 games.

Black Panther

Juniors
Possible but unlikely. I just don't see the demand for him being high enough to require that salary. When we signed him in 2019 he had just come off a good season (in 2018) but in 2019 he was already 24 and playing like a $200k player: 2 linebreaks and 1 try in 10 games.
If they took over his Panthers contract it wold be correct.. Penrith payed a portion then Parra took over the rest..

Eelogical

Referee
I personally think he's cooked. If our plethora of training gurus at our Centre Of Excellence can get inside his head and take him to a higher level then I'm all for it.

Black Panther

Juniors
Blake, Moylan, Cartwright and RCG all signed big long term deals at Penrith when Gould was handing them out.. That’s why Cleary came in and cleaned them out…

Avenger

Immortal
Buddy we took over his whole contract term. The first two years the Panthers contributed and the last few years we had to pay full freight. It was back loaded and I know that he is on $550k this season. That’s overs.

84 Baby

Referee
Buddy we took over his whole contract term. The first two years the Panthers contributed and the last few years we had to pay full freight. It was back loaded and I know that he is on $550k this season. That’s overs.
Final year of contract? Pretty sure he’s on $1m+

hindy111

Post Whore

I just remember when he signed everyone including me was excited. I felt he was origin level. He was on I am sure 500k at Penrith and they apparently where chipping in about 150k from what I've heard 350k sounds about right. But that ran out. Maybe we front loaded or just decided we'd cop full freight in his last season or two.
He is certainly worth 300-350k imo. And if are paying 500k its only 150k overs.

Latest posts