What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Has it been mentioned anywhere that HSS was being looked at just for the rest of this season as a loan a la Nofo to the Storm last year or was it looking like being for 2024 and beyond? I'm guessing the latter if the Raiders are looking for Sanders in return before 2025.

I sound like a broken record but this is why I hate these mid-late season signings so much. HSS is not going to be the difference between us making and not making the finals this year so why so desperate to get him? And then compound it by having him on the books for next year. Might as well sit tight and see who else might become available in the coming months. Similarly, the Lussick signing. We now have 2 honest toilers at hooker but Lussick doesn't add a new dimension to our game IMO. I know we needed a back up rake but being stuck with Lussick now until of 2025 is a tad underwhelming. Also indicates to me that if we do happen to target a decent hooker next year for 2025, then Hands will be let go given his deal is only until the end of 2024 from memory. I know it all depends on how much these blokes are actually signed for and maybe they're on a pittance but the ROI is very low if not negative IMO
Hands is also signed until the end of 2025.

Tiger5150

Bench
I already showed you that supply and demand don’t have the same effect on the two markets. Nobody gets into a bidding war for loaves of bread because supply is adaptive in a way that it isn’t for NRL players.
No you think you have, but you are wrong. If the supply of loaves of bread does not meet demand, the price goes up and there is a bidding war, either retailers or wholesalers are bidding against each other to the supplier which is the mechanism for how the price goes up.

It is exactly the same as for NRL but you cant see it because your mind cant get past the fact that there is a set price sticker at Aldi. The bidding war is already over and it was between wholesalers/retailers to the manufacturer. The end customer doesnt bid in much the same way that Parra & Tigers had a bidding war for Merkin Moses but that doesnt affect the price for you or I to go to the football or buy a Kayo subscription.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely if Brad Arthur wanted Smith-Shields at this stage of the season with Parramatta fighting to make the finals the coach should have the loudest voice.

This clearly isn’t the case at Parramatta with CEO Jim Sarantinos and general manager of football Mark O’Neill intervening.
Good. The coach doesn’t run the club.
It’s examples like this when it comes to recruitment and retention that illustrates how the Eels continually fall over in this space.

It’s also an insight into why Parramatta has gone from playing in a grand final to fighting tooth and nail to make the top eight.
These merkins and their diligence is why we made the grand final, and why we would’ve made the finals again if it weren’t for injuries and suspensions.
The Eels need to stop making the same mistakes. Arthur is short on outside backs with Maika Sivo suspended.
Anything to stir up our dopey fans ffs

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
No you think you have, but you are wrong. If the supply of loaves of bread does not meet demand, the price goes up and there is a bidding war, either retailers or wholesalers are bidding against each other to the supplier which is the mechanism for how the price goes up.

It is exactly the same as for NRL but you cant see it because your mind cant get past the fact that there is a set price sticker at Aldi. The bidding war is already over and it was between wholesalers/retailers to the manufacturer. The end customer doesnt bid in much the same way that Parra & Tigers had a bidding war for Merkin Moses but that doesnt affect the price for you or I to go to the football or buy a Kayo subscription.
Give it a f**ken rest. We've moved on. Go home.

Tiger5150

Bench
This article is written as an eels f**k up. But read it twice and it’s a pro Ricky piece with Raiders moving the goal posts and involving Sanders in the signing of HSS.

======================

IT’S Groundhog Day at the Parramatta Eels and we can completely understand why blue and gold coach Brad Arthur would be blowing up.

With a shortage of outside backs as they fight to try and make the top eight the Eels were in the box seat to sign Canberra Raiders outside back Harley Smith-Shields for the remaining four games of Parramatta’s regular season.

The move had progressed as far as Eels coach Brad Arthur talking to Canberra coach Ricky Stuart with the Raiders only request being Parramatta release young gun half Ethan Sanders to move to the national capital in November.

Everything looked on target to the point where the Parramatta coach Arthur told Smith-Shields he was going to be selected on the wing for the Eels NRL side against St George Illawarra on Sunday.

Smith-Shields had even packed his car for the drive from Canberra to Parramatta on Monday in order to make it to the Eels inside the August 3 top 30 cut-off date for signing players.

Everyone was on the same page about the move until it hit a last-minute snag in the form of the Eels recruitment and retention committee.

Yep, at the 11th hour the move was blocked by Parramatta management.

The trouble with these types of last-minute, pen pushing decisions is they’ve become a regular occurrence at the Eels over the past few seasons.

Surely if Brad Arthur wanted Smith-Shields at this stage of the season with Parramatta fighting to make the finals the coach should have the loudest voice.

This clearly isn’t the case at Parramatta with CEO Jim Sarantinos and general manager of football Mark O’Neill intervening.

The Raiders are in the box seat to sign Eels rookie half Sanders for 2025 and simply wanted Parramatta to give him permission to negotiate with them now.

The Raiders could then have pushed for Sanders to join the Green Machine’s top 30 in November this year.

It’s examples like this when it comes to recruitment and retention that illustrates how the Eels continually fall over in this space.

It’s also an insight into why Parramatta has gone from playing in a grand final to fighting tooth and nail to make the top eight.

The Eels need to stop making the same mistakes. Arthur is short on outside backs with Maika Sivo suspended.

Guys dont bite the click bait.

I think by now Hooper literally has a template about "Management Incompetence" that he applies to anything that happens and simply ctrlH substitutes Tigers for Eels or Dragons or Knights etc. Hooper wrote almost this same article a week ago about the Tigers using the fact that Koroisau extended his contract as proof of management incompetence.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Guys dont bite the click bait.

I think by now Hooper literally has a template about "Management Incompetence" that he applies to anything that happens and simply ctrlH substitutes Tigers for Eels or Dragons or Knights etc. Hooper wrote almost this same article a week ago about the Tigers using the fact that Koroisau extended his contract as proof of management incompetence.

Hooper is a pelican.

His 2 claim to fames are whacking car bonnets.

Any bullying Maroon out of triple m Sunday with Paul Kent.

pazzaeel

Juniors
Has it been mentioned anywhere that HSS was being looked at just for the rest of this season as a loan a la Nofo to the Storm last year or was it looking like being for 2024 and beyond? I'm guessing the latter if the Raiders are looking for Sanders in return before 2025.

I sound like a broken record but this is why I hate these mid-late season signings so much. HSS is not going to be the difference between us making and not making the finals this year so why so desperate to get him? And then compound it by having him on the books for next year. Might as well sit tight and see who else might become available in the coming months. Similarly, the Lussick signing. We now have 2 honest toilers at hooker but Lussick doesn't add a new dimension to our game IMO. I know we needed a back up rake but being stuck with Lussick now until of 2025 is a tad underwhelming. Also indicates to me that if we do happen to target a decent hooker next year for 2025, then Hands will be let go given his deal is only until the end of 2024 from memory. I know it all depends on how much these blokes are actually signed for and maybe they're on a pittance but the ROI is very low if not negative IMO

This.

Joe Offa and Lussick are poor signings. Davey is bog, but i sort of understand why we got him.

they are bandaid solutions that we are now stuck with for multiple years and dont offer anything to our side. its annoying that we tried to salvage our season by committing long term to more aging/average players. it is short sighted. the money could have been better spent on one solid outside back who can take a tough carry.

the two things i find more concerning though are:

- Jnr Paulo on a significant decline but being paid $950k/yr for 3 more years
- our ability to develop a young outside back and a forward.

we cant persist with BA. we need to bring in a quality coach while we have the nucleus of a good squad.

also, when was the last time we had a junior step into first grade and have an immediate impact - someone who you knew was made for 1st grade? i'm not talking Jarryd Hayne or Hindmarsh style players, but someone like Ben Smith. he turned into a plodder eventually but his 1st season was awesome

Latest posts