What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
just to add, I have a sneaking suspicion (and this obviously without any evidence) that we have a certain cap limit for our 2-5's in the comp and we're not willing to move from it therefore player managers are scoffing at us.
Hope some of those young blokes turn out to be guns then.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tired Baby GIF
I gave you a like mate, since nobody else could be bothered.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Their attack looks clunky without Api. If their defense wasn't so good they probably drop down to like 4th or 5th on ladder.
Well their points differential is currently more than 100 points better than the next best team, so prioritising their roster the way they have is obviously working for them. They could’ve conceded an extra 103 points and still have the best f/a

yy_cheng

Coach
Superman has been ok but ifmpeople think he is the answer. If you have a stud backline then sure you can get away with a guy like this. When he is possibly right now your 2nd best back behind the Pensini its a worry.

Good thing is Russel is looking ok. Nothing explosive but ok.

You cant get another big name centre.

I reckon Penissini is not far behind the likes of Staggs or Best for us. He's defensively sound and has started approving is attack

We need a ok left centre as we have so much $$$ tied in our Spine and Props... We have tied up in hookers :- Hodgo, Hands, Lussick - easily $800k-$1m

Opacic I feel was a bit better as he was improving his attack before he left but who do you expect there?

JokerEel

Coach
is he an outside back or a forward?

nevertheless thats 2 players in 5 or so years from our entire nursery - but yep, keep arguing

Who is arguing?

We have Russell Penisini and Brown to show for 10 years of BA. Possible AMS after Sunday as well none are superstars yet and may never be.
Our forwards we have no one from our Juniors apart from Jnr and Matto who left so I am not counting them!

IFR33K

Coach
bottom line mate is we need 2 signings with NRL experience who are outside backs, that surely couldn't be that difficult could it?

*bottom line mate is we need 2 signings with NRL experience who are outside backs and a coach.

fixed for you mate :)

TheRam

Coach
Did he really say that? He might as well have said, "We'll make do with a couple of average priced plodders cause there's no high-priced decent 9's on the market right now"...

I keep saying it, I would go for Phoenix Crossland. He is the best improved dummy half in the NRL this year and he can also cover the halves. The Knights have Jayden Brailey coming back from injury next year, so Phoenix's time on the field at dummy half maybe restricted again and he may be shunted into a Mr Fix-It anywhere in the backline roll as was the case before for him. It may appeal to him that we can offer him a starting gig at the Eels in a very good roster though and he might prefer to come to a club that can offer him a starting position. He is better then either of the two 9's we currently have.

If we made such a signing our ruck defense would also tighten up a little more. He is a very handy defender in the middle and is always chasing in defense. He is also on the larger size for a dummy half(6 foot) so wouldn't be a spot defender like our current and previous 9's have been.

See if we can offload a couple of the dead wood that we currently have we should be able to offer him more then what I think the Knights are currently paying him which I don't think is much at this point. And seeing that they already have a recognised 9 at the club who I am sure they are currently paying more, I don't think they could justify getting into a bidding war to keep him.

But I fear that Potato Head and Co will feel at though they have sorted the 9 position for this and next season and not bother looking for a better alternative that would be very affordable if they were smart about it. Anyway I won't hold my breath.

He is signed at the Knight for 2024, so we can't officially offer him a contract until Nov, but if we miraculously did sign him for 2024, I would then try to agitate for and earlier release and since we keep hearing that the Knights have some salary cap issues, they may be willing to let him go early too. If not at least we know we have a 9 for 2025 that should still be better then what we currently have.

We also need to remember that this bloke was a half and only stepped into the 9 role this season due to Brailey's injury and he always saw himself as a half. But as he himself has now stated he sees himself as a hooker now. So I wonder what an off season or two training as a 9 could do for him? I bet all the little subtleties that he currently doesn't have as a 9 in his game may start to appear and who knows what ceiling he has? He was a half so playmaking is in his nature and I don't think he will be satisfied with his game right now. He would know that there is much to still learn and improvement in him. I would love to see that develop and flourish at Parra, wouldn't we all? He is also a NZer so no losing him for SOO ffs!