What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Haven't missed a beat???
They are still coming first, and their points differential is still miles ahead of the next best team.
They aren't even close to the team they were last season.
They have lost a bunch of players.
Their defence is still excellent and it' what keeps them in every games.
Their attack is also very good. They have scored 4.3 tries per game, which is only 0.2 less than the Sharks and Rabbits you fkn rabbit.
It's another reason we will never win a comp under Sir Baldalot, he isn't capable of getting a team to defend well enough to be a serious premiership threat.
Well Cleary never had the best defensive side until his 15th season as coach. So Arthur's has plenty of time to keep learning. Or wait until he is given the best defensive team, like Cleary did.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Murchie is not a middle, he's a decent hole running second rower. After doing well with Papa and Marata he probably thought he could have that sort of luck with every player. Doorey goes ok just a shame his body keeps letting him down the less said about that garbage man from Newcastle the better.
As if any of these merkins were expected to get a run ahead of Lane, Matterson and Cartwright ffs. They are backups. If they got a run in round one it's because Lane and Matterson were unavailable.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think what you are saying is that playing footy every week in senior football tests a player’s durability. Doorey is getting found out, but he has age on his side.

Murchie finds himself in the middle only when there are better options on the edge. Swings and round abouts finds Mataele now learning the prop game in Flegg and Murchie back on the edge. He’s under the pump however, cos the young bulls like Guymer, Brazel, Lenaz, Blackburn, Pryke, Topou and Parker and all starring him down. The only thing that Murchie has on his side is age, which shoukd give him durability.
Nah we signed Murchie because we thought we could turn a mid-20s fringe first grader into a star ffs. He had won 10 NRL games by his 25th birthday but somehow we thought he had the same potential as Papali'i, who had won 24 games before he turned 22.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Doesn't Asi playing the halves? (Daejarn Asi?)

HSS would be an outside back, wouldn't he?

Maybe I have the wrong guy in mind
Asi is a utility, and 'officially' listed as a centre on his profile (whatever that's worth). But yes, as an attacking player with weak defence he is almost the opposite of what you want from a centre.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So on the basis that they only wanted HSS on a loan deal or were perhaps OK to take him on a loan deal only, means that they must have confidence in the backs we have:

Sivo
Russell
Penisini W
Simmonsson
Gutho
Asi

And that there is enough quality in the below to stock cup etc, so we don't have a repeat of 2023 again ?

Arthur Miller-Stephen
Turoa Williams
Zac Cini
Blaize Talagi
Matthew Komolafe
Te Huirini Twidle
Penisni R
Ethyn Martin
Araz Nava
Jabriel Kalache

I assume however there will be one or two actual signings of 20+ NRL game backs to come for next year better than Lume ?
A lot of quality young outside backs to try to round out the bottom of the top 30. After a full preseason we'll see who's ready and upgrade them for 2024. Pretty standard way to find backup wingers/centres I think. It's not like backup forwards where they are barely up to reserve grade before age 23.

An interesting factoid about AMS is that he is only 20 this year. He is still eligible for Flegg next year but is a mainstay in reserve grade. That's a pretty good sign of NRL potential.

Gronk

Staff member
Leave the footy analysis up to Pou ffs!!
How silly of me to think you were capable of talking seriously about footy. As you were !

giphy.gif

hineyrulz

Post Whore
As if any of these merkins were expected to get a run ahead of Lane, Matterson and Cartwright ffs. They are backups. If they got a run in round one it's because Lane and Matterson were unavailable.
So we pay our back ups almost 300k no wonder why have no depth.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Our record against the Broncs is better in Brisbane then Sydney/Darwin.

If we win this week.

It's the game we need to target for an old fashioned ambush to sneak into the finals.
I’m going, we have a pretty good record against the Donkeys with me on attendance. Only 2018 was a loss in the last decade

King-Gutho94

Coach
I’m going, we have a pretty good record against the Donkeys with me on attendance. Only 2018 was a loss in the last decade
Well 2018 we lost nearly every game so no surprise there.

We have had some great wins in Brisbane in the past decade.

Are you looking forward though to sitting 3km away from the field at the Gabba compared to Suncorp.