What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
I think our forward pack is over rated and out of wack. Individually it's brilliant but we used to have a nice balance of offloading skilled players and straight hard runners in Marata and Papali'i. Both had great leg speed and just went forward.

Now we have RCG and a bunch of guys who can offload and create. Grieg is a but but slow leg speed. Morretti is probably next best behind RCG as far as going straight and hard.

Look at Penriths side. The pack isn't skillfull bar Yeo. But they all run like bulls with great legs speed and quick play the balls.
Most of their backs are the same. Straight and hard. To many of our forwards and backs just don't do this well.

Hopgood and Bryce are great and playing excellent. But they don't offer the same punch as Marata and Papali'i even tho they are more skilled.
Lanes also been missed. Barely played all season.

2024 we will be a lot better but 2025 is when I think we challenge again.
But the coach wants them to play the power game and run straight and hard but they want to pass

Black Panther

Juniors
Of course they will. It's the nature of any organisation to blame current problems on everyone who has left and give them none of the credit.
No mate, they are the facts. Matt Cameron is the mastermind behind the Panthers success. Gould did all the big talking. Just like Ciraldo being the next big thing, he followed maestro to the Dogs. How’s he looking now compared to the under the radar Webster?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think our forward pack is over rated and out of wack. Individually it's brilliant but we used to have a nice balance of offloading skilled players and straight hard runners in Marata and Papali'i. Both had great leg speed and just went forward.

Now we have RCG and a bunch of guys who can offload and create. Grieg is a but but slow leg speed. Morretti is probably next best behind RCG as far as going straight and hard.

Look at Penriths side. The pack isn't skillfull bar Yeo. But they all run like bulls with great legs speed and quick play the balls.
Most of their backs are the same. Straight and hard. To many of our forwards and backs just don't do this well.

Hopgood and Bryce are great and playing excellent. But they don't offer the same punch as Marata and Papali'i even tho they are more skilled.
Lanes also been missed. Barely played all season.

2024 we will be a lot better but 2025 is when I think we challenge again.
Our attack has improved this year, with 4.4 tries per game, up from 4.1 last year. But our defence is worse, conceding an extra two points per game. I'd say both things are related to our significant drop in set completions. It's about finding the right balance. You don't need to score so many points if your defence is better. Captain Obvious stuff, but the point is we are surely better off completing more sets. It worked last year.

hindy111

Post Whore
Our attack has improved this year, with 4.4 tries per game, up from 4.1 last year. But our defence is worse, conceding an extra two points per game. I'd say both things are related to our significant drop in set completions. It's about finding the right balance. You don't need to score so many points if your defence is better. Captain Obvious stuff, but the point is we are surely better off completing more sets. It worked last year.

We hammered some shit sides with our new style. But it doesn't trouble good defenses and isn't as effective as power runners imo

oldmancraigy

Coach
Gus sure did offer up a lot of long term deal’s didn’t he. Moylan, Cartwright, Blake, RCG. None of which finished their contracts either.

What are your thoughts on Gus's contract management ability?
Seems to me to be rather poor at it - those examples you cited and what he is now doing at the Dogs.

However, the method to his madness may be to overspend on solid first graders to try and improve a spot or two while juniors have time to develop.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No mate, they are the facts. Matt Cameron is the mastermind behind the Panthers success.
Gould brought Cameron to the club. Gould got Cameron the resources he needed. This is how it works. If Cameron really was the mastermind, Gould would have brought him to Canterbury with him.
Gould did all the big talking. Just like Ciraldo being the next big thing, he followed maestro to the Dogs. How’s he looking now compared to the under the radar Webster?
Ciraldo looks like Cleary in his first year at Penrith, only with a higher win rate ffs

How can you nitwits look at the facts and think coaching is anywhere close to as important as playing talent? Why was Ivan Cleary such an ordinary coach his whole career except for the last four?

IFR33K

Coach
I don't think any lack of depth we are now experiencing is actually due to a lack of planning.

I know of a couple of players we have definitely gone for over the last few months, but haven't been able to entice away from their current clubs.

I think our lack of recruitment in some key areas (outside backs for example) before the season kicked off was more due to the fact there were no real suitable candidates available.

Isn’t not developing juniors a lack of planning?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We hammered some shit sides with our new style. But it doesn't trouble good defenses and isn't as effective as power runners imo
We beat three teams in the top eight, putting big scores on Souths and Newcastle. Against Warriors and Storm we had some of our best players out.