What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

JokerEel

Coach
For sure players effectiveness can change over time. But just because prop A plays X minutes does not mean prop B should play X minutes.

The starting props should probably play as many minutes as possible while remaining effective.
RCG can go 80, so perhaps 65 is a good number for Him?
Paulo is the same, and has been a big minute prop under different coaches.

I think his defensive issues are there from minute 1

Reg should probably play 60 minutes while Paulo 40-50.

Paulos D gets worse like all players over time in a game so 20 minutes is probably good when you have less ball at the start of the game.

All games are different though we may play a half with 55-60% possession so you would assume the big boppers could play longer.

It just seems that because Paulo is on big coin we expect big minutes where I would be going the other way and having less minutes from him and bigger impact.

JokerEel

Coach
Yeo 80 minutes

But also:
Luke 7 minutes
Salmon 19 minutes

Doesn't Cleary know you need to give your bench players more minutes ffs?!?!? Isaah Yeo will get burnt out!!!

That's how many Paulo usually plays. What's the problem exactly?

Yeo is also a lock who used to be a winger/centre ffs dont be an idiot.

Luke/Salmon are front rowers?

Have alook at the minutes front rowers played and not try to play with numbers numb nuts..

Yes JT has stripped back his minutes thats the point JR needs to strip his back he is still playing more than JT.

Stagger eel

Staff member

Gronk

Staff member
^^^

What does this even mean ?

“You earn $1.1 in Brisbane, it’s like earning $1.5 or $1.6 here, guaranteed. I think that’s a great offer and would be the highest paid front-rower ever and highest paid in Broncos history.”

Stagger eel

Staff member
^^^

What does this even mean ?

“You earn $1.1 in Brisbane, it’s like earning $1.5 or $1.6 here, guaranteed. I think that’s a great offer and would be the highest paid front-rower ever and highest paid in Broncos history.”

I'll drink to that...

It'll have to be at a Laundy pub though... only the best would do.

TheRam

Coach
People in the Penrith system will tell you that Gould was the mouthpiece, the system was built by Matt Cameron and run by him and Jim Jones. Gould did finance their COE when the Panthers got out of trouble after Gould got refinancing via James Packer (they were in manic cash flow problems )

Gould is good at self promotion but talent identification is not his forte.

The best leaders know how to get the best employees and delegation right. He seems to have succeeded in that by the time he left.

Were there missteps along the way? Yeah sure, maybe in his impatience and uncontrollable hands on fiddling getting in the way at times but he knows what needs to be done to setup a winning club and the type of people needed to do the heavy lifting.

I wish we could get Matt Cameron back. It all started to go pear shaped once he, Craig Catterick and Hayden Knowles all left. I think if we could somehow get this dream team all back again we would see a massive difference in our junior pathways development outcomes. It sure as hell would piss all over relying on the Rouse Hill Rhinos as our saviour.

Also I can't believe we still haven't set up any regional academies yet. What the hell are we doing? I know Nathan Brown is supposed to be doing stuff, but what exactly has he setup that wasn't already in place when he was appointed? Have we opened up the purse strings and allocated the needed resources to have a growing and thriving development program in place? Have we removed the stumbling blocks(personnel included) that have hindered progress and success? Have we hired better people that have the same vision at heart and know how to get there?

These are serious questions that I hope some posters here who have contacts and some knowledge of the goings on at the club could answer and help us all understand where we are exactly in regards to all our pathways systems.

We are a mighty club with more then enough money, juniors, fans and the only club that represents a whole city of the same name that is now a thriving and still growing metropolis that has what, around a million people in its catchment area if not more? We should be like the Broncos if we ran all our structures correctly. People are our greatest asset. But the right people in the right positions seems to be our greatest weakness too.

I hope we are addressing this. Can any posters here please enlighten us on what is actually going on right now in as much detail as possible, including names of new hires and who they have replaced if applicable and is it in their opinion a step in the right direction or new program setups if any and so forth? Are there still people around running things that in their opinion they aren't suited to and or who would be better if applicable? Or anything else that maybe relevant on this topic. Thank you.

Allowing Matt Cameron and Co to leave our club seems to be one of the most significant blunders our club has ever made. Penrith has been the beneficiary of that mistake and have given Matt everything he needed to take the Panthers to the next level. We need to do a cut and paste on them and replicate what we used to have and even amp it up a few notches. Until that happens, if ever, we will probably never see another premiership again unless we just got dumb lucky. Juniors is the life blood of any successful organisation and the only real and fair way to cheat the salary cap by having a steady stream of quality juniors always coming though who replace or fill positions that the cap forces you to lose. Without it you get what we have now. A team that can't buy or find enough quality players to fill every position in the 17. Short of that the only other option is to have a billionaire benefactor like the Roosters that will do anything to see us succeed. Which we don't and aren't ever likely.

Cheers
TheRam

Penrith's grand plan was Parramatta vision​

by Scott Bailey , 10 months ago

The elite pathway system that has taken Penrith to the top of the NRL has its makings at Parramatta, where the current Panthers CEO worked under Brian Smith.

Brian Smith sees more than just a hint of Parramatta DNA in Penrith's looming NRL dynasty.
In fact, the former decade-long Eels coach knows too well that the Panthers' current reality was once a Parramatta vision that never truly got the ultimate reward.
"What (Matt Cameron) would say to me is that it was just a copy-and-paste job," Smith told AAP.
"There's no need to complicate it."
Cameron is Penrith's CEO of football, and the man some consider to be Phil Gould's greatest signing when Panthers supremo.
But for 15 years before that, Cameron was one of the men trying to end Parramatta's long premiership drought.
An assistant coach in the under-16s Harold Matthews set up when Smith arrived at the Eels at the end of 1996, Cameron spent most of his time working in the Eels' junior pathways.
The much-talked about Penrith player production line that is the envy of every club is the exact thing Cameron attempted to set up at the Eels.
In Smith's time at the Eels, Parramatta won a total of nine NSWRL club championships, demonstrating their success from under-16s through to reserve grade.
At Penrith that dominance is being replicated and then some ahead of the Panthers' third straight NRL grand final and possible premiership defence.
A strong mutual respect remains between Smith and other former Eels staff at the Panthers, with insiders happy to point out the striking similarities in systems.
"It was more than the winning thing (about the pathways)," Smith said.
"When I first got there, on the food-chain of coaching, Matty was on the bottom.
"So if you want a person who understands the history and how to develop a club, coaches, assistant coaches and finally players, Matty has seen it all.
"Phil Gould knew what he was getting when he took him to Penrith."
Parramatta's inability to take that next step and convert their hope of the early 2000s to a premiership has been one of the stories of grand final week.
So too their dramatic slide from 2009 onward, with the club at times losing its identity and ging through the 2016 salary-cap scandal before rebuilding to return to Sunday's grand final against Penrith.
But as far as Smith is concerned, what Cameron has at Penrith is the same job with more experience, life lessons, geographical pull and far greater resources.
"You could easily stuff that up or not maximise it though," Smith said.
"What he has been able to do is adapt and embellish all the advantages that Penrith have.
"They are a very wealthy club.
"They have always good pretty contacts in western NSW.
"But he has just made the most of all those resources and opportunities to create what that juggernaut is."
Under Cameron, Penrith pour in some $2.5 million worth of investment each year and the likes of Ben Harden, Sam Jones and former Eel Lee Hopkins now heading it up.
It's a process that includes around 300 youngsters each year, with academy squads in Penrith and at satellite towns in Dubbo, Forbes and Bathurst under other former Penrith players.
Just last week its results became most evident, as the Panthers took out the NSW Cup and under-21s Jersey Flegg, after also winning the under-18s SG Ball in April.
Victory on Sunday would make the Panthers the first club in the game's history to take out all three of those grades as well the top-flight in the same year.
"Cammo (Cameron) is the brains," long-time Panthers recruitment manager Jim Jones said.
"It probably all started when he got here and had that history in pathways at Parra.
"He sat down and one of his first papers was develop from within.
"We said let's start winning under-16s, then 18s, and it will roll onto first grade."
In its most simple terms, the program taught at Penrith differs from the one at Parramatta two decades ago only in that there were no regional academies for the Eels.
But the outcome is similar.
In 2009 when the Eels reached the NRL grand final on the back of a crazy run from eighth spot, there were 13 players in their 17-man team that made their debuts at the club.
This year, Penrith's 30-man squad includes a whopping 24 who have been through the club's elite pathways system.
"I remember Nathan (Cleary) and Jarome (Luai) sitting on the bench in Harold Matts," Jones said.
"And then you have a bit of luck and guys like (James) Fisher-Harris and (Moses) Leota roll into town.
"But the idea was just to get that winning culture into your grades and it will burst into your system.
"It's like a drug eventually, they get used to it and they expect to win."
Cameron is not alone in having the Parramatta DNA.
Until last year, Craig Catterick was Penrith's head doctor after serving a long stint at Parramatta under Smith.
Former Eels performance boss Hayden Knowles was at the Panthers until exiting last season, with close observers noting strong similarities between the way the Eels of 2001 and current Panthers team are prepared.
Both teams could back up play after play, while their forwards show the mindset of always moving and regularly competing for the ball in the in-goals.
"When Gus or Ivan (Cleary) took those guys out of Parra, they were getting a lot more than just the average acquisition or staff member," Smith said.
"Penrith were getting guys who were very effective in their jobs. But they were also getting the unity package.
"They all knew each other. And that made it easier for them to make progress rapidly.
"They got so many people on the same wavelength in so many aspects: Developing a club in the pathways, creating success."

Stagger eel

Staff member
Matt Cameron hasn't been t the club for 15 years and 'm sure he's been at the Wests Tigers and Penrith twice.

I dare say those who let him go are no longer at the club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeo is also a lock who used to be a winger/centre ffs dont be an idiot.

Luke/Salmon are front rowers?

Have alook at the minutes front rowers played and not try to play with numbers numb nuts..
Scrums are meaningless these days so there are no locks or front rowers, just middle forwards. Plenty of middles play exactly the same role (and number of minutes) in jersey 8, 10 or 13. Jake Trbojevic averaged 79 minutes across eight games in jersey 10 earlier this year. Now he's doing the same thing in jersey 13. It's just a number.

Obviously some middles make more runs per minute than others, so I'm not saying they all play the same way. My point is that the jersey number doesn't determine what sort of middle they are.
Yes JT has stripped back his minutes thats the point JR needs to strip his back he is still playing more than JT.
But isn't Taumalolo a 'lock' because he usually wears jersey 13? Regardless, I agree that Taumalolo is (and always was) more of a 'prop' type middle than a 'lock' type middle. Reuben Cotter is the high work rate, long minutes middle at the Cowboys, whether he is wearing jersey 10 or 13. Taumalolo's job is to carry the ball.

So you're correct that Paulo (54.2 mpg) plays longer minutes than Taumalolo (49), however the latter's minutes as a starter (53.1) are much closer to Paulo's, including Taumalolo's most recent game (in jersey 10) where he played 54 minutes.

Here's the 'front rowers' who play longer minutes than Paulo (and a couple who don't, for comparison):

MerkinMinutes per game
Trbojevic79.1
Fa'asuamaleaui60.8
Haas59.6
Fonua-Blake58.1
Tapine55.3
Paulo54.2
Campbell-Gillard52.8
Taumalolo49

I trust the coaches to decide how many minutes merkins should be playing. More than I trust you merkins anyway.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It is both possible to overpay for Payne Haas and also to win a premiership without him. Penrith got rid of their best front rower and won two premierships. Manly got rid of JWH and won the comp two years later. But then JWH did go on to win three. Though I'd say it's more to do with the Roosters' resources putting a team around him than his individual contribution. It's a team game.

Tiger5150

Bench
Scrums are meaningless these days so there are no locks or front rowers, just middle forwards. Plenty of middles play exactly the same role (and number of minutes) in jersey 8, 10 or 13. Jake Trbojevic averaged 79 minutes across eight games in jersey 10 earlier this year. Now he's doing the same thing in jersey 13. It's just a number.

Obviously some middles make more runs per minute than others, so I'm not saying they all play the same way. My point is that the jersey number doesn't determine what sort of middle they are.

But isn't Taumalolo a 'lock' because he usually wears jersey 13? Regardless, I agree that Taumalolo is (and always was) more of a 'prop' type middle than a 'lock' type middle. Reuben Cotter is the high work rate, long minutes middle at the Cowboys, whether he is wearing jersey 10 or 13. Taumalolo's job is to carry the ball.

So you're correct that Paulo (54.2 mpg) plays longer minutes than Taumalolo (49), however the latter's minutes as a starter (53.1) are much closer to Paulo's, including Taumalolo's most recent game (in jersey 10) where he played 54 minutes.

Here's the 'front rowers' who play longer minutes than Paulo (and a couple who don't, for comparison):

MerkinMinutes per game
Trbojevic79.1
Fa'asuamaleaui60.8
Haas59.6
Fonua-Blake58.1
Tapine55.3
Paulo54.2
Campbell-Gillard52.8
Taumalolo49

I trust the coaches to decide how many minutes merkins should be playing. More than I trust you merkins anyway.
Is Joffa a middle? is there a stat for that?

TheRam

Coach
Matt Cameron hasn't been t the club for 15 years and 'm sure he's been at the Wests Tigers and Penrith twice.

I dare say those who let him go are no longer at the club.

So? That's not the main point of my post ffs!

Are you just looking for an argument/fight? Has Pou wormed into you brain? Why so dismissive?

I am just asking for some helpful insight for what we are currently doing from any poster/s that might have some information on what is actually going on in this space and the article kind of gives us an insight as to what may have gone wrong at our club since we lost these quality former Parra personnel.

As for Cameron being at the Tigers. They have been a basket case for ages, do you think that they would have given him what he needed to succeed? As for Cameron being at the Panthers twice. It takes time for any system to start to produce consistent quality juniors and by all accounts the Panthers were in a complete and utter shambles and going broke when he first went there until Gould could get Packer to save their arses. Again it would have been a few years into his stint before Cameron would have been given enough resources to get it all going right.

Again, I ask any posters that have knowledge on what is being created and who we have in important roles to please post some details here. Thank you.

As for posters like you who just want to argue with no actual helpful info...P*ss off. I couldn't be bothered.

All you ever do is act like the big know it all posting the occasional cryptic insider info. I'm sick of arguing with posters on here. Either be helpful or just rack off!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As for Cameron being at the Tigers. They have been a basket case for ages, do you think that they would have given him what he needed to succeed?
The Tigers had great junior recruitment a few years ago (they poached Moses from Parra's Harold Matts team, for example), they just couldn't afford to retain them. Plenty of Tigers juniors won premierships at other clubs, including Tedesco, Korobeite, Fifita, Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen.

They didn't waste their money winning Harold Matts comps though. Recruiting started at SG Ball level and they won SG Ball in 2012 and 2013, and they also won the under 20s in 2012. For while there they invested plenty into junior 'development' (poaching) but keeping them through to NRL level requires resources outside the cap. Penrith's junior recruitment would mean little if they didn't have Keno TPAs and jobs for the halfback's dad.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach

MerkinMinutes per game
Trbojevic79.1
Fa'asuamaleaui60.8
Haas59.6
Fonua-Blake58.1
Tapine55.3
Paulo54.2
Campbell-Gillard52.8
Taumalolo49

Taumolol went from 80(ish) minutes to 49 which is basically my point with Paulo he shouldn't be playing long minutes just because he is on big coin. Which is what the coach has said who has still won more Spoons than me... Funnily enough Paulo wasn't at the club in 18!

TheRam

Coach
Are you talking about resources?

Yes of course I am. I and I don't think anyone here has ever argued that resources aren't the key. You seem to think that you are the only merkin on here that has ever thought that resources make the difference. Yet I and others on here have been arguing for years that we don't allocate enough or we have been allocating them wrongly and wastefully.

Our differing opinions are that you believe Parra just don't have the ability to implement the sufficient amount of said resources to be consistently successful to win a premiership, whereas I and others do and that we just don't. I and many others here are desperately hoping that things have changed and I am just wanting some info and details on what and who has been put place to make us a powerhouse in junior development again.

Otherwise we won't ever win a premiership unless we are unusually very lucky in a Steven Bradbury kind of season.

Last edited: