What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
The Tigers had great junior recruitment a few years ago (they poached Moses from Parra's Harold Matts team, for example), they just couldn't afford to retain them. Plenty of Tigers juniors won premierships at other clubs, including Tedesco, Korobeite, Fifita, Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen.

They didn't waste their money winning Harold Matts comps though. Recruiting started at SG Ball level and they won SG Ball in 2012 and 2013, and they also won the under 20s in 2012. For while there they invested plenty into junior 'development' (poaching) but keeping them through to NRL level requires resources outside the cap. Penrith's junior recruitment would mean little if they didn't have Keno TPAs and jobs for the halfback's dad.

They just didn't have the resources(kind of like us) to hold on to them. Kind of what I am talking about.

Resources is a wide ranging thing and there are different levels to it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Taumolol went from 80(ish) minutes to 49 which is basically my point with Paulo he shouldn't be playing long minutes just because he is on big coin. Which is what the coach has said who has still won more Spoons than me... Funnily enough Paulo wasn't at the club in 18!
There’s a big difference between 80 and 54 minutes though. Paulo’s minutes are just fine. There’s a bunch of middles who play longer minutes and make more runs and tackles. We need him out there long enough to get our money’s worth.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes of course I am. I and I don't think anyone here has ever argued that resources aren't the key.
Plenty of merkins take the piss, thinking because every team has the same salary cap that it's a level playing field. It has taken years for them to accept that some clubs are always at the top, and there's nobody at our club to blame. Instead they get blamed for also not always being at the top, which is your position.
You seem to think that you are the only merkin on here that has ever thought that resources make the difference.
No I'm the only one who points out that resources are limited. If our decision makers were able to spend more they would. It's not like it's their money.
Yet I and others on here have been arguing for years that we don't allocate enough or we have been allocating them wrongly and wastefully.

Our differing opinions are that you believe Parra just don't have the ability to implement the sufficient amount of said resources to be consistently successful to win a premiership, whereas I and others do and that we just don't. I and many others here are desperately hoping that things have changed and I am just wanting some info and details on what and who has been put place to make us a powerhouse in junior development again.

Otherwise we won't ever win a premiership unless we are unusually very lucky in a Steven Bradbury kind of season.
There was a great post, by me, quoted here:

Well we don't spend as much money as them. Why would our peak be as high as theirs? The Panthers spend so much outside the cap they brought back a coach with a win rate lower than 50%, who had missed the finals seven times in 12 years, just so they could re-sign his son. They spend a phenomenal amount of money on rugby league: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2022/05/02/panthers-reveal-the-price-of-success/

This includes a $22M HQ facility: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/03/30/panthers-open-$22-million-academy/

Meanwhile we don't even own our training ground. You're comparing apples with oranges. However in good news we upped our football related spend from $7.5M to $11.8M last year (compared to Penrith's $17M).

The thing is, this spending needs to be sustained, like Penrith has been able to do. Here's the Eels' football-related expenses in recent years:

2016: $9.1M
2017: $6.3M
2018: $8.3M
2019: $10.0M
2020: $5.9M
2021: $7.5M
2022: $11.8M

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/annual-report/

The information relevant to this discussion is the amount of money allocated by the PLC for rugby league operations. You'll note it's not the same every year. The question then is why it is significantly less in some years than others. I put it to you that the reasons aren't "f**kem, they can have a 40% haircut in 2020 because they were too good in 2019!!!" Most likely it was an event outside the club's control (like a pandemic) that hurt PLC finances and reduced the amount they were able to fund the NRL club.

You'll also note our 2022 funding was greater than in 2016 when we were flush enough that we could even afford to rort the cap. We are getting stronger as a club, but Rome wasn't built in a day. If we keep growing, we will require less luck to win the comp in any given year. This year we have been horrifically unlucky and are still in the hunt for the top eight. It's very exciting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They just didn't have the resources(kind of like us) to hold on to them. Kind of what I am talking about.

Resources is a wide ranging thing and there are different levels to it.
That's why I say resources and not money. Geography, for example, is a resource. I firmly believe our geography is a negative rather than a positive. But if we can somehow leverage it for increased sponsorships it could become a positive. Our huge fanbase is a positive but not as much as you'd think. It's not like we get a larger slice of the TV deal just because more merkins watch our games. This is why the likes of Barcelona negotiated their own La Liga TV rights deal, rather than share them equally with the other 19 teams.

emjaycee

Coach
What is the issue with him playing big minutes?

He has been a big minute prop his whole career. Would you prefer he plays 45 minutes and Makatoa gets more minutes?

Nobody cries that our halves play the whole game. Or our edge forwards. Or even our 13 (when we have an 80 minute lock).

In Paulo and RCG we happen to gave 2 guys who are not only outstanding props, but can go pretty well 80 minutes if required. Sure, give them a spell for 15-20 to allow them to go harder in the 60-65 they are on the park, but let's not call for them to be substituted so that Ogden gets a go...
Paulo's defensive lapses are there 1m in, and aren't solved by having him play less minutes.

By all means have a whinge, everyone is welcome to whinge, but please be reasonable about what you whinge about!!
Do u even Parra LU mate?

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeo 80 minutes

But also:
Luke 7 minutes
Salmon 19 minutes

Doesn't Cleary know you need to give your bench players more minutes ffs?!?!? Isaah Yeo will get burnt out!!!

That's how many Paulo usually plays. What's the problem exactly?

Yeo is built like a bean pole

hindy111

Post Whore
^^^

What does this even mean ?

“You earn $1.1 in Brisbane, it’s like earning $1.5 or $1.6 here, guaranteed. I think that’s a great offer and would be the highest paid front-rower ever and highest paid in Broncos history.”

I think he is overated. Yes a big engine but so what. It just takes minutes of someone else. He doesn't ball play or break line that often. Yes a great forward and maybe the best prop currently but I don't see a Tamoulao in his peak or MoiMoi who both knocked them over like bowling pins.

hindy111

Post Whore
I also reckon Haas brings to much attention. Every contract he is always going to want more and more money. A bit like Sualii. Sometimes it's easier to just walk away from these players.
As much as I loved Semi the whole circus that followed when it come to coin was a real hindrance

Bandwagon

Staff member
I don't think any lack of depth we are now experiencing is actually due to a lack of planning.

I know of a couple of players we have definitely gone for over the last few months, but haven't been able to entice away from their current clubs.

I think our lack of recruitment in some key areas (outside backs for example) before the season kicked off was more due to the fact there were no real suitable candidates available.

Sounds like excuses

Just get it done FFS!

Bandwagon

Staff member
I assume he meant house pricing and living costs

Yeah, but beyond housing the cost of living aint all that different, and sure, when you buy a house it's gonna cost more for same same, but then it's an asset that's also worth more, and will likely return more when you sell it, and all tax free.

It's a f**king dumb argument.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah, but beyond housing the cost of living aint all that different, and sure, when you buy a house it's gonna cost more for same same, but then it's an asset that's also worth more, and will likely return more when you sell it, and all tax free.

It's a f**king dumb argument.

Where do you live?

Bandwagon

Staff member
To clarify, when I say cost of living aint all that different I'm talking about to a bloke earning a million plus, not some poor schmuck on 70 or 80k where maybe 5 or 10k is the difference between keeping your head above water or sinking.

Latest posts