What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

gaffer

Juniors
I reckon that's hyperbole, the comp is closer this year than it's probably been in a while, and teams like the Roosters ( and us ) who should've made finals obviously have underperformed. But the flipside is a few other teams have lifted, and teams like the Sharks and Raiders have been kissed on the dick with their draw.

Penrith and The Storm have come back to the pack a little, but that doesn't make the comp weak per se, it has made it closer.

Not making the finals is a fail, no arguments there, but you don't need to be exaggerating to make that point.
hope we get a dick kissed draw next year for a change

oldmancraigy

Coach
Do we still have seperate "football" and "leagues club" boards? Is Jim CEO of both, or just one. If it's both/interweaved, then there's no change the Board gets punted if the leagues club "business" (pokies, restaurants, take over of small club premises in surrounding areas etc) is going well.

Technically Jim is CEO of neither board! He is the football club CEO.
I think Chris Dimou is the League's club CEO

In the end I'm not sure what either of their KPIs are, so it would be hard to suggest whether one or the other might be punted.

I think it is the same board?

T.S Quint

Coach
I think the club was a bit short-sighted in terms of our outside backs, and living in hope that what we had would be strong enough to get us through the year.

In hindsight, the loss of Opacic turned out to be almost catastrophic, which shows how bad the situation is when the loss of one barely average player hurts your team this badly.

Dunster never really recovered well from his disastrous injury. Pretty obvious that would happen, but he was already contracted so not much we could do there. Not sure when his contract runs out but I doubt he gets another one. Poor bloke.

Waqa has regressed so far it's hard to think he was ever good enough for FG. He was never a great player, but he was at least good enough to play FG and not hurt the team too badly. Now he is barely reserve grade standard. He's off contract this year and won't be re-signed. Hard to see where he goes from here.

Sivo is our best outside winger. This is a problem, because while he is a decent player and can score a try or two, he is hardly a star. Not the safest winger, nor great at making metres out of our end. If he's the second best winger at your club, no worries. But he shouldn't be your best. And him getting suspended for four games hurt the club worse than Brown getting suspended for 10 in my mind.

Russell has come along ok. He has earned his place in the team, but hopefully we can still see him get better for next year.

Penisini is our ony true star in the outside backs, and even he has massive defensive problems at times.

Lumelume and Loizou probably did not progress as well as the club would have liked.

Simonsson has been rocks and diamonds, but mostly rocks. Good as a backup to play in case of injury, but you would hope he's not a regular starter in your FG team.

T.S Quint

Coach
Technically Jim is CEO of neither board! He is the football club CEO.
I think Chris Dimou is the League's club CEO

In the end I'm not sure what either of their KPIs are, so it would be hard to suggest whether one or the other might be punted.

I think it is the same board?

Do you know if the FG team is under control of the Leagues Club board as opposed to the Football Club board?

I remember it used to be like that under Fitzy, and recent boards ran under a platform of changing it, but I don't remember if they ever did.

Gazzamatta

Coach
As you probably know I don't frequent these parts of the world that often anymore ( to the delight of @TheRam ) ... but I had concerns about our squad this year in November last year and the way our GF womens team was dismantled was absolutely disturbing top say the least.

I carry next to no faith in whoever is running the joint now to get us out this mess.
Thanks and WOW!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Do you know if the FG team is under control of the Leagues Club board as opposed to the Football Club board?

I remember it used to be like that under Fitzy, and recent boards ran under a platform of changing it, but I don't remember if they ever did.

I know what you're talking about (how there used to be separate boards)

I'm unaware of there being separate boards currently.

In fact, I'm fairly sure there isn't - for starters you can't find a reference to a 'Parramatta National Rugby League Club' when searching for some key terms. Further, when delving into the consolidated financial statements for the League's Club (available herre: https://issuu.com/parramattaleagues/docs/parra_annual_report_2022_final ) one notices that the NRL grant of $15mill is included.
I don't normally pay attention to these things, but skimming it now, the football side of things did pretty well (11+mill in sponsorship, 7.5+mill in gate sales and over a mill in merchandise) gaining over 20mill in revenue before the NRL distribution.

note:
That's some $35mill to spend, which surely should allow us to match the Panthers $17mill per year spent on the players (over various teams). To me, that is Jim's job. Get the cash, and let the footy people get the players.

JokerEel

Coach
I think the club was a bit short-sighted in terms of our outside backs, and living in hope that what we had would be strong enough to get us through the year.

In hindsight, the loss of Opacic turned out to be almost catastrophic, which shows how bad the situation is when the loss of one barely average player hurts your team this badly.

Dunster never really recovered well from his disastrous injury. Pretty obvious that would happen, but he was already contracted so not much we could do there. Not sure when his contract runs out but I doubt he gets another one. Poor bloke.

Waqa has regressed so far it's hard to think he was ever good enough for FG. He was never a great player, but he was at least good enough to play FG and not hurt the team too badly. Now he is barely reserve grade standard. He's off contract this year and won't be re-signed. Hard to see where he goes from here.

Sivo is our best outside winger. This is a problem, because while he is a decent player and can score a try or two, he is hardly a star. Not the safest winger, nor great at making metres out of our end. If he's the second best winger at your club, no worries. But he shouldn't be your best. And him getting suspended for four games hurt the club worse than Brown getting suspended for 10 in my mind.

Russell has come along ok. He has earned his place in the team, but hopefully we can still see him get better for next year.

Penisini is our ony true star in the outside backs, and even he has massive defensive problems at times.

Lumelume and Loizou probably did not progress as well as the club would have liked.

Simonsson has been rocks and diamonds, but mostly rocks. Good as a backup to play in case of injury, but you would hope he's not a regular starter in your FG team.

I think Russell has passed Sivo as our best winger..

Does our club coach spee at all or just fitness? Apart from Moses and Brown everyone else is slow as fudge...

Gazzamatta

Coach
the signings of Davey and Joffa probably f**k us big time moving forward.

I don't know what the thought process was with Davey's signings other than the fact that he was cheap and resided with Lane so it was more a convenient signing..

the decisions in and around our top 30 have been the worse I remember. mind you it was up there in GF with bringing Hayne and Evans into club in 2018.
Ya talkin my language brother. Kevans on $500k per year was just plain crazy. For the record I wasnt a supporter of bringing Wonderboy back either.
(That should bring Poo out of hiding 😁)

JokerEel

Coach
As you probably know I don't frequent these parts of the world that often anymore ( to the delight of @TheRam ) ... but I had concerns about our squad this year in November last year and the way our GF womens team was dismantled was absolutely disturbing top say the least.

I carry next to no faith in whoever is running the joint now to get us out this mess.

I would think out Juniors have been pretty decent whomever threw our Ball team together over the years did a decent job.

I doubt many will make it out of Flegg though as our Cup coaching team is diabolical..