What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
For those interested, here is ChatGPT's summary of this extensive post.

The writer's main points are as follows:
  1. The team's issues are not solely the fault of their best player.
  2. The team has deeper problems, including the need for quality outside backs and improved team defense.
  3. Addressing the lack of quality outside backs and improving team defense should be the top priorities.
  4. The team should focus on finding a promising young front rower for the future.
  5. They suggest implementing repetitive drills for attacking raids to improve basic skills and understanding of team attacking formations, similar to how Bennett coaches.
  6. The writer advocates for a power game up the middle, using strong forwards to draw defenders in and then exploiting the numbers advantage out wide.
  7. They emphasize the importance of precision and finesse in executing this attacking strategy, especially without a fast winger.
  8. The need to address the team's defensive vulnerabilities is also crucial for the proposed strategy to succeed.
In summary, the writer believes that the team needs to address their defensive weaknesses and acquire quality outside backs, while also implementing focused training drills to improve basic attacking skills. They advocate for a power game up the middle to open up opportunities out wide and stress the importance of precision and proper execution.
ChatGPT gave me the following alternative summary:

TLDR:

Our focus should be on strengthening defense and enhancing basic attacking knowledge.

So you think our issues lay at the feet of our best and by far our most consistent player?

Mate, our problems go way deeper then moving our best player out of his most natural position and putting his nose out of joint and losing all off what he brings and believe me he bring plenty.

There are two things that need addressing first before anything else is even considered and they are at least one if not two quality outside backs that can attack with the ball and defend well and the other is our defense as a team.

Those two things need to be pushed to the top of the tree and not taken down until they have been sorted. End of, otherwise we go nowhere again next season. When next season starts, if our defense isn't in the top 2 and I mean a hairs breadth between the two after the first 10 rounds then I would immediately start to look for a new coach. I don't care even if the whole world knew about it and it ended up destabilizing our season. We aren't going to win a thing if we aren't in the top 2 defensive teams anyway.

Also we need if possible to find and bag a quality front rower in the juniors that everyone can see will be a star. Someone like JWH or Klemmer were juniors and offer him enough and make love to him along the way so as he wants to come to the Eels. It doesn't necessarily need to be for 2024, but as long as we get him and we can start to rebuild our front row from 2025 onwards. Because we will definitely need it guaranteed and now is the time to start to address it.

Now besides finally addressing our defensive structures I would take a leaf out of master coach Bennetts book and for the first month of training with the ball in hand I would get them all to only do one thing and it is the most basic thing a footballer at NRL level should be able to do and that is I would put them through repetitive drills for hours, day in and day out, on attacking raids counting numbers, 3 and 4's. Bennet has done this since he started coaching decades ago and he has had some of the all time greats in his squad. Players who don't know and are new to his club, often ask him why are you asking us to do this most basic of things for weeks on end? But by the time the season comes around they all realise exactly why he does it.

Most elite players don't know the basics because they were elite coming through the grades and never needed to learn some of the most basic parts of the game. Bennett has stated that he was astounded how little so many 1st graders knew so he does this every off season from the start of his coach right up to now and that is part of why people are always saying that Bennetts teams are always so well prepared.

We as a club scream this lack of basic knowledge on the field or preparedness. I know some like pou and others may suggest but we had no problem scoring points this season and it was our decision making and resolve in defense that got us unstuck. Sure that is why I put solving our defense issues at the top of the tree of priorities. But our offense at times when we should be pushing the ball to where the defensive line is weakest and or short is clunky if we take advantage at all. Lets face it we have to many dumb footballers who are not aware where they should be standing or how to run onto a ball for maximum effect or how deep or shallow the unfolding play needs them to be. By just doing repetitive drills for weeks on end and nothing else but counting numbers, it will give them an understanding and instinctive connective whole team attacking formation that they can automatically get into at any time without thought in a micro second which in most cases is what is needed for it to work.

So to often they run out of ideas when they are confronted with the better teams hard and solid defense. When all that is needed is to play at our strengths and that is to use our Palookas to attack the middle defensive line over and over again and not deviate away from that for at least 2 or 3 sets. Just simple up the middle sh*t. You know just like how Bennett had the Dolphins play this year and it worked beautifully until injuries and suspensions saw them run out of steam. So when the opposition compresses their defensive line as they will and should, the numbers out wide are and should be in our favour. Guess what we do then? Now if we spent a month of training doing nothing but numbers drills in the off season, does anyone think that we will get it wrong?

We have a power game and it works well against the teams that don't turn up. But what do we do when the opposition do turn up and say not today boys, you're not coming through our front door? Well we keep knocking on that front door as hard as a demon so as to attract as many trolls on the other side to protect it and then we quickly slide through the open window out wide. It needs precision and finesse, especially since we don't have a speedster out wide, but it can and should be done. We also have two of the fastest halves in the game, at the very least it would give them more opportunities to attack players one on one or in a retreating formation.

But of course the other priority at the top of the tree will need to be addressed as well for this to have any chance of success, otherwise teams like the Panthers will still have fresh middles to our battered and worn out ones that we won't be capable of knocking on their front door long enough to matter.

honestly I’m just impressed with the effort that you put in that reply.

yy_cheng

Coach
We either need a fullback like Walsh/Campbell/Ponga

or we need to stop leaking 20+ points per game...

Gutho has started to become like Teddy in attack where the play breaks down when he gets his hands on it in a backline movement.. He does not have the turn of pace to get on the outside of players and create an overlap.
I wish BA will fix our defense first. Get that in order above all else.

Although I bag our attack, we have shown in the last 2 years, we CAN have a decent attack. What I dont understand is we have had unreal plays near the line where we can score easily. Just from the top of my head, run arounds involving Jnr, Moses passing back in, Carty passing to a Moses who is runnning around him (though I admit, this one has been repeated), Matto going hard at the line with then intention of a offload, all these plays involving Lane hitting the line and passing back or Lane passing around the corner (yes, Lane hasnt been in the team), the tries involving Paps when he runs a line back (yes Paps isnt here but someone else coud do that), the Superman play off the scrum (we have repeated this though it can be enhanced to have runners following him for a potential pass or to put the defenders in 2 minds)

We tend to just repeat the Block Play with Guth, the Carty one above, cutout or harbour bridge to Sivo.

I dont include kicks coz that's usually the 5th option play.

We have many plays which seems to me that they were done by eyes up and hardly repeated or enhanced. We tend to be more eyes up rather than someone setting up one of the many plays that I have mentioned above.

Someone to really analyse what we have done well and improve it and repeat it.

But above all, fix the effen defense.

I just feel BA is not technical enough or he just wants to play the Melbourne game plan from 10 years ago with effort and that's it. I dont think he knows the really technical aspects or will not relinquish the technical aspects to someone else.

Barrett is there but I feel he wants to implement his style.

The one person who I thought could do that technical analysis and pour over video after video is JA.

This is why I want a change. If BA was less stubborn in my eyes, then I wouldnt mind keeping him... but he seems stale to me.

When the players in 2009 said that DA wanted to implement the St Helen's style of playing (in which he was successful) at Parra and he DA realised it didnt work because of the players he had, he came up with a new style which took us to a GF. That's how I would like BA to be but he just seems like a stubborn coach to me

JokerEel

Coach

Although I bag our attack, we have shown in the last 2 years, we CAN have a decent attack. What I dont understand is we have had unreal plays near the line where we can score easily. Just from the top of my head, run arounds involving Jnr, Moses passing back in, Carty passing to a Moses who is runnning around him (though I admit, this one has been repeated), Matto going hard at the line with then intention of a offload, all these plays involving Lane hitting the line and passing back or Lane passing around the corner (yes, Lane hasnt been in the team), the tries involving Paps when he runs a line back (yes Paps isnt here but someone else coud do that), the Superman play off the scrum (we have repeated this though it can be enhanced to have runners following him for a potential pass or to put the defenders in 2 minds)

We tend to just repeat the Block Play with Guth, the Carty one above, cutout or harbour bridge to Sivo.

We have many plays which seems to me that they were done by eyes up and hardly repeated or enhanced. We tend to be more eyes up rather than someone setting up one of the many plays that I have mentioned above.

I just feel BA is not technical enough or he just wants to play the Melbourne game plan from 10 years ago with effort and that's it. I dont think he knows the really technical aspects or will not relinquish the technical aspects to someone else.

The one person who I thought could do that technical analysis and pour over video after video is JA.

This is why I want a change. If BA was less stubborn in my eyes, then I wouldnt mind keeping him... but he seems stale to me.

When the players in 2009 said that DA wanted to implement the St Helen's style of playing (in which he was successful) at Parra and he DA realised it didnt work because of the players he had, he came up with a new style which took us to a GF. That's how I would like BA to be but he just seems like a stubborn coach to me

2009 Our first 12 games we averaged 14.5ppg for and 23.5ppg against.
The next 12 games we averaged 25.1 ppg for and 15.8ppg against.

Thats a huge turn around.

This Year first 11 games 24ppg for & 21.8ppg against
Second 11 games 25.3ppg for 25.6ppg against

King-Gutho94

Coach

BA called our defence issues in the presser a snowball effect that caused too much arm grabbing from doing too much defense work.

He mentioned snowball effect a couple of times.

Might be BA's buzz word of the week.

2009 Our first 12 games we averaged 14.5ppg for and 23.5ppg against.
The next 12 games we averaged 25.1 ppg for and 15.8ppg against.

Thats a huge turn around.
I think that's when Jarryd decided to actually play, rather than phone it in like he had been doing for the initial 12 games of the season?

JokerEel

Coach
I think that's when Jarryd decided to actually play, rather than phone it in like he had been doing for the initial 12 games of the season?

100% but we also needed to defend which swung around as well after that point. Benefitted from scoring alot more points which stops the opposition being able to score.

Pazza

First Grade
For those interested, here is ChatGPT's summary of this extensive post.

The writer's main points are as follows:
  1. The team's issues are not solely the fault of their best player.
  2. The team has deeper problems, including the need for quality outside backs and improved team defense.
  3. Addressing the lack of quality outside backs and improving team defense should be the top priorities.
  4. The team should focus on finding a promising young front rower for the future.
  5. They suggest implementing repetitive drills for attacking raids to improve basic skills and understanding of team attacking formations, similar to how Bennett coaches.
  6. The writer advocates for a power game up the middle, using strong forwards to draw defenders in and then exploiting the numbers advantage out wide.
  7. They emphasize the importance of precision and finesse in executing this attacking strategy, especially without a fast winger.
  8. The need to address the team's defensive vulnerabilities is also crucial for the proposed strategy to succeed.
In summary, the writer believes that the team needs to address their defensive weaknesses and acquire quality outside backs, while also implementing focused training drills to improve basic attacking skills. They advocate for a power game up the middle to open up opportunities out wide and stress the importance of precision and proper execution.

I never read the rams post cause they're just too long. This really helped

emjaycee

Coach

I started to read this and then realised it was similar in length to The Rams earlier post. So asked my mate ChatGP to let me know if there were any major differences. The summary:

ChatGPT:
YY_Cheng's core themes of defense, attacking plays, analysis, coaching style, and the desire for change align with The Ram's perspective on improving the team's performance.
Glad I didn't read both.

gaffer

Juniors
in other words our defence is shit and has been for years so why hasn't it been addressed Is the murph in charge of defence if he's not who is Surley there is someone in the league world that knows how to get a teams defence in order FFS

Gronk

Staff member
in other words our defence is shit and has been for years so why hasn't it been addressed Is the murph in charge of defence if he's not who is Surley there is someone in the league world that knows how to get a teams defence in order FFS
The D guy is Antonelli that we got from the Bunnies ?

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Bushy is in charge of defence apparently....

Makes sense

hindy111

Post Whore
What's your alternate explanation for the sudden change in our 2009 season fortunes then?

MoiMoi was an absolute weapon. His form was like nothing I've seen from a prop. The guy was bowling people over and making 30mtrs on some carries. It was wild.

We also tightened our defense. Mateo,Grothe and Gaulavo hit purple patches as well. I reckon those 4 along with Haynes form had a huge impact

Incorrect

Coach
MoiMoi was an absolute weapon. His form was like nothing I've seen from a prop. The guy was bowling people over and making 30mtrs on some carries. It was wild.

We also tightened our defense. Mateo,Grothe and Gaulavo hit purple patches as well. I reckon those 4 along with Haynes form had a huge impact
Todd Lowrie also had the best 8 or 9 games of his entire career that year...

Latest posts