What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
DA was a Fitzgerald appointment. Once Spagnolo and Co rissoled Fitzy, anything and everything that smelled like Fitzgerald was flushed from Parra including the coach who took the team to a GF in his first year at the helm... Collateral damage. Appalling really...
Took almost a decade to recover from sacking DA.

Appointing Kearney was the worse appointment this club has made this century.

DA was a Fitzgerald appointment. Once Spagnolo and Co rissoled Fitzy, anything and everything that smelled like Fitzgerald was flushed from Parra including the coach who took the team to a GF in his first year at the helm... Collateral damage. Appalling really...
That's right, the memories are coming back.

That Spagnolo 3P period was a really rotten time... but people lapped it up like soft serve iced cream.

King-Gutho94

Coach
And what’s so laughable about that?

in 2001, I think the eels didn’t win back to back games until around round 11.

Was Hayne responsible for the slow start there too?

Anyways, u need to let it go
I actually blame the senior players in Cayless and Hindmarsh for our slow starts in that era.

I recall Hindy saying every year on TV before the season started we were slow starters already planting an excuse in the players.

We always felt in crisis mode come April during those years.

It was one thing I reckon you see in Hindy now on Matty Johns show always worried about the negatives I reckon that rubbed off on the lesser players in big games we couldn't shake. Nothing against his work ethic as he was a champion but that worried demeanour was one of his reasons i rekcon he wasnt the ultimate winner.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Took almost a decade to recover from sacking DA.

Appointing Kearney was the worse appointment this club has made this century.
I'd argue Hagan was far worse, he undid all the good work of Smith in a short few years. Kearney was horrible but he took over a horrible squad. DA was a tactical very good coachbut i don't think he was so great at building a list. Carl Webb was his one signing before he got punted.

IFR33K

Coach
I actually blame the senior players in Cayless and Hindmarsh for our slow starts in that era.

I recall Hindy saying every year on TV before the season started we were slow starters already planting an excuse in the players.

It was one thing I reckon you see in Hindy now on Matty Johns show always worried about the negatives I reckon that rubbed off on the lesser players in big games we couldn't shake. Nothing against his work ethic as he was a champion but that worried demeanour was one of his reasons i rekcon he wasnt the ultimate winner.

Well I blame covid 🤣

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Anderson managed Hayne beautifully. Bagged him in a presser. Shifted him to five-eight to get his work rate up. Changed the team's style halfway through the year. Got a number of players
(including Hayne) playing out of their skins for career best periods. Managed Mateo's erratic tendencies beautifully. Inu
never played as well again. Mortimer the same. Daniel Anderson was a brilliant coach. The myth that we somehow made
the grandfinal on the back of Jarryd Hayne alone, was just that: a myth. Perpetrated by the media. D.A. never got the credit that was due to him.
We were shit for three out of four half seasons he was here. I feel like those were more representative than the half season we were good.

IFR33K

Coach
I'd argue Hagan was far worse, he undid all the good work of Smith in a short few years. Kearney was horrible but he took over a horrible squad. DA was a tactical very good coachbut i don't think he was so great at building a list. Carl Webb was his one signing before he got punted.

didn’t he Sign Justin Poore?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Either Brian Smith didn’t like leaders or they didn’t like him.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well he turned out great, slug!! Tahu his second stint was another swing and a miss. But to be fair i wonder how much say he had in anything after Fitzy got punted??
Tbf Tahu was going great until he walked out on Origin Camp because of Joey Johns making a racist comment on GI.

He was never the same player after that.

It was an Amazing fall from grace. He worked his way back into the NSW team after coming back from Rugby off 10 games then imploded afterwards.

A fit and firing Tahu for 2/3 years and we probably don't fall as far we did with a strike centre like him.

emjaycee

Coach
That's right, the memories are coming back.

That Spagnolo 3P period was a really rotten time... but people lapped it up like soft serve iced cream.
TBH, I think the election of Spagnolo (3P) and the resultant period was a little bit like recent NSW State and Federal elections, where voters were simply sick of the incumbent and put the only organised opposition in, only to realise later that promises made before an election hold no water when you actually are in control.

Bandwagon

Staff member
We either need a fullback like Walsh/Campbell/Ponga

or we need to stop leaking 20+ points per game...

Gutho has started to become like Teddy in attack where the play breaks down when he gets his hands on it in a backline movement.. He does not have the turn of pace to get on the outside of players and create an overlap.

Yet his average run meters are up on last year, and he scored more tries, TA's are down , Linebreaks much of a muchness that's in 21 vs 28 games, where he is down by a lot is kicking, particularly forced drop outs ( 10 vs 3 ) but then same with Moses ( 21 vs 13 )

Which for mine is too much to be coincidental and likely then is a coaching decision on account of the short dropout really being a thing.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Apparently the four people on the recruitment and retention committee are the Chairman, CEO, Head of Football and Head Coach. 50% of the make up of that committee know as much about the recruitment and retention of NRL footballers as Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse.

Perhaps the role of those two is more to do with cap management than it is player identification?

So not who, but how much.

TBH, I think the election of Spagnolo (3P) and the resultant period was a little bit like recent NSW State and Federal elections, where voters were simply sick of the incumbent and put the only organised opposition in, only to realise later that promises made before an election hold no water when you actually are in control.
Sure, re Parramatta and everyone naively getting sucked in.

But with recent state/fed elections, why are people only realising not to put faith in anyone's election promises now? This has been going on for years, and we're in a Scomo-post-truth society.

JokerEel

Coach
Yet his average run meters are up on last year, and he scored more tries, TA's are down , Linebreaks much of a muchness that's in 21 vs 28 games, where he is down by a lot is kicking, particularly forced drop outs ( 10 vs 3 ) but then same with Moses ( 21 vs 13 )

Which for mine is too much to be coincidental andlikely then is a coaching decision on account of the short dropout really being a thing.

Gutho is still our best option for fullback..

We are scoring more points per game this year than any other year under BA. We just need to learn to defend like a top team...