What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
TBH, I think the election of Spagnolo (3P) and the resultant period was a little bit like recent NSW State and Federal elections, where voters were simply sick of the incumbent and put the only organised opposition in, only to realise later that promises made before an election hold no water when you actually are in control.
Also, whoever was in charge after the Fitzgerald period was constantly white-anted by whichever merkins weren’t in charge. Just like in state and federal politics.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Perhaps the role of those two is more to do with cap management than it is player identification?

So not who, but how much.
I think it would absolutely be something like this. The bean counters and governance merkins are there to make sure the footy SMEs are asking all the right questions and considering all the relevant facts.

Every merkin knows who the best players are. They also know who the worst ones are. Where rosters are made or broken is in determining player values and getting their prices as low as possible collectively across the squad, while still filling the salary cap. It’s a juggling act, and choices would mostly be between two shit options, e.g. paying overs or missing out altogether. Across 30 players you can hopefully come out in front.

Chipmunk

Coach
Perhaps the role of those two is more to do with cap management than it is player identification?

So not who, but how much.
Surely that is part of the job of the Head of Football? If they don't trust the Head of Football to do his job, then maybe they need to find someone else they trust.

The Head of Football is the one managing the cap, he should be the one who has the say on how much.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think it would absolutely be something like this. The bean counters and governance merkins are there to make sure the footy SMEs are asking all the right questions and considering all the relevant facts.

Every merkin knows who the best players are. They also know who the worst ones are. Where rosters are made or broken is in determining player values and getting their prices as low as possible collectively across the squad, while still filling the salary cap. It’s a juggling act, and choices would mostly be between two shit options, e.g. paying overs or missing out altogether. Across 30 players you can hopefully come out in front.
If they can't delegate all of that to the Head of Football, then they need to find a Head of Football they can delegate it to.

Gronk

Staff member
Fitzgerald stated that he couldnt guarantee Our Eels future. That was the beginning of the end.
You have cherry picked what Mr Burns said and taken it out of context. As did eveyone else. I recall these pages repeatedly echoed the words “he said it”, each and evey time that I tried to justify context.

It was 2008 and the government of the day was proposing a significant increase in poker machine turnover tax. Mr Burns was the spokesman of all NSW pokie den leagues clubs and was lobbying hard against it, as (they claimed) it would spell the end of the NRL teams.

Bulldog Ritchie then made the lack of confidence by Mr Burns in the NRL and specifically the Eels future as the headline, as it was the time that the Telecraps fav Spagnolo was about to make his move.

The rest is fish n chip paper. Up to you to decide if Spagnolo riding in on his white horse was to save us or ultimately f**k us for nefarious means. Who ultimately, for better or for worse, had the club’s interests at heart ?

lingard

Coach
I'd argue Hagan was far worse, he undid all the good work of Smith in a short few years. Kearney was horrible but he took over a horrible squad. DA was a tactical very good coachbut i don't think he was so great at building a list. Carl Webb was his one signing before he got punted.
Small sample size?

lingard

Coach
We were shit for three out of four half seasons he was here. I feel like those were more representative than the half season we were good.
I think when you consider the rest of Anderson's career (Warriors and in England) those other 3 half seasons could be seen as the outliers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You have cherry picked what Mr Burns said and taken it out of context. As did eveyone else. I recall these pages repeatedly echoed the words “he said it”, each and evey time that I tried to justify context.

It was 2008 and the government of the day was proposing a significant increase in poker machine turnover tax. Mr Burns was the spokesman of all NSW pokie den leagues clubs and was lobbying hard against it, as (they claimed) it would spell the end of the NRL teams.

Bulldog Ritchie then made the lack of confidence by Mr Burns in the NRL and specifically the Eels future as the headline, as it was the time that the Telecraps fav Spagnolo was about to make his move.

The rest is fish n chip paper. Up to you to decide if Spagnolo riding in on his white horse was to save us or ultimately f**k us for nefarious means. Who ultimately, for better or for worse, had the club’s interests at heart ?

Fitzy hired Hagan, because he beat Brian Smith in the 2001 gf. Not only that he killed the 2006 season by hiring him a whole year early. He deserved to get rissoled on that alone.

lingard

Coach
It wasn’t justified, but let’s not go putting him on a pedestal.
That's a fair point. He wasn't Wayne Bennett or Jack Gibson. I think he was more like Terry Fearnly tbh; but my point is, most commentators will tell us that Parramatta rode on the coat-tails of Jarryd Hayne to reach the GF in 09, whereas I think Anderson got us there and never received credit for it.

Gronk

Staff member
That's a fair point. He wasn't Wayne Bennett or Jack Gibson. I think he was more like Terry Fearnly tbh; but my point is, most commentators will tell us that Parramatta rode on the coat-tails of Jarryd Hayne to reach the GF in 09, whereas I think Anderson got us there and never received credit for it.
Anderson famously responded to the Qn "can you pinpoint what turned the team around ?" By saying "I don't know".

BOOM that gave his haters purchase and from then on LOL! he had no f**king idea.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The Ambush in the semi at Kogarah was definitely DA.

He outfoxed Bennett by throwing out the game plan in last round and resting a couple of players.

One of the great finals wins