What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
The most embarrassing part of the gf last year was bushy pulling out his magic tricks by kicking straight down the middle on kick off, and getting the panthers away on the front foot straight off the bat....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think when you consider the rest of Anderson's career (Warriors and in England) those other 3 half seasons could be seen as the outliers.
He has a career NRL win rate of almost 53% so he was obviously a decent coach. I think his record in the UK is irrelevant though. It’s virtually a four team competition. St Helens won three premierships in the six years before he got there. They had resources.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's a fair point. He wasn't Wayne Bennett or Jack Gibson. I think he was more like Terry Fearnly tbh; but my point is, most commentators will tell us that Parramatta rode on the coat-tails of Jarryd Hayne to reach the GF in 09, whereas I think Anderson got us there and never received credit for it.
Are we giving out credit for making grand finals now? Some very ordinary coaches have won them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Anderson famously responded to the Qn "can you pinpoint what turned the team around ?" By saying "I don't know".

BOOM that gave his haters purchase and from then on LOL! he had no f**king idea.
Can we maybe consider that half a season of footy is too small a sample for judging a coach’s ability?

IFR33K

Coach
I call bullshit on this and the other comments about him not knowing how they turned it around.

DA probably didn't want to look like he was an arrogant prick and stayed humble.

I went to most home games back then as I had membership, and I can see how well drilled they were just from the pre match warm up, let alone the game....in all other seasons they looked sloppy prior to DA, and there is one thing I've learnt in my 40 years of watching footy, you can pretty much tell the outcome of any game simply by watching the pre game warm up. They were on fire under DA. He deserves all the credit. Hell, he also was the one who moved hayne to fullback and punted finch mid season.

DA was the best coach since Smith.

I have it on good authority that while DA was at the warriors, during there run to the gf, they stopped all drills and were playing piggy in the middle

Stagger eel

Staff member
Didn't get embarrassed

as we say in the classics..

you can't polish a turd, a loss is a loss is a loss....

I get the gripe you have against BA, that's fine, you're allowed to hate him, but if you can't acknowledge that he did better than Robinson and Bellamy did at the same year than there's no helping you.

IFR33K

Coach
even the great coaches had better platforms to work off when they started at their respective clubs...but yeah, it took 10 years so he has to be a shit coach.

Never said he’s a shit coach.

but for a 10 year veteran fmd he’s still making rookie errors.