What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
...and shouldn't that be MON's responsibility? he is our football department GM after all.
Everyone needs checks and balances. What's the point of the CEO and other execs if they're not involved? I don't think O'Neill has earnt carte blanche to wheel and deal without oversight. That's how clubs get into cap trouble, by trying to spend their way to short term success.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
so we used 31 players? ...4 of them were outside our 30, more the reason to strengthen that part of the squad.
We also didn't use at least one merkin from our top 30. This just shows the distinction between top 30 and second tier matters little at the bottom of the roster. If you don't need to commit a roster slot to play a backup why would you? Leave the option open in case you need it later in the year.
The RRC's response after making the GF has been abysmal whilst our opponents won the f**king thing again after losing 3 starting players from their squad.
They have been spending huge money for a decade to ensure they have a production line of talent coming through. It's not decisions made in 2022 that decided the two clubs' fates in 2023. That was determined long ago.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Head of recruitment at Parra. Out of his depth.

Has had smaller roles with Souths, the AFL and the Tigers.

Yeah this guy still saying he is at Souths as well on his linkedin account

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just to put the cat among the pigeons, the latest TCT pod talks about rumours of the players who have been tapped.

Clearly Momoisea is one. Can't be Davey or Ogden, Tuilagi, Hands, Carty or Emu.

Makka, Dunster, Sivo ? Any other taps ?
What does it mean to 'tap' a player though? You won't play first grade? Backups won't give a shit. They are there to get paid playing reserve grade. They're not exactly going to get NRL opportunities anywhere else unless they are young with potential, and in that case they could already be getting paid more than a backup due to demand. The absolute last person you would try to get rid of is a player in his mid-20s on minimum salary. The actual cap cost of any player is his salary minus the minimum. This means minimum salary players are essentially free. The only players not worth that much are the blokes not even good enough to be backups. You can compare these merkins in reserve grade, where backups spend most of their time.

emjaycee

Coach
Just to put the cat among the pigeons, the latest TCT pod talks about rumours of the players who have been tapped.

Clearly Momoisea is one. Can't be Davey or Ogden, Tuilagi, Hands, Carty or Emu.

Makka, Dunster, Sivo ? Any other taps ?
Cini and Jirah

Stagger eel

Staff member
What about someone like Nick Meaney? The Storm have that young kid coming through who is a generational talent. They also have Papenhuyzen.

Surplus to needs?

he'd definitely be an improvement to whoever we already have and possibly some. reminds me a bit of Luke Burt.

emjaycee

Coach
the first bit I understand the second bit blows me away...

so Sarantinos offers BA a suggestion or advise on weather or not we should make an offer to retain Sivo or not?
Most likely the other way around. Sarantino challenges BA about retaining Ogden or not.

A coach is going to want to keep players that he knows and likes to work with. Someone has to challenge that when the time might come to let a player loose.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Most likely the other way around. Sarantino challenges BA about retaining Ogden or not.

A coach is going to want to keep players that he knows and likes to work with. Someone has to challenge that when the time might come to let a player loose.
The coach can definitely get too close to the players, especially when he's relying on them to keep his job. This oversight helps prevent the players from holding the club to ransom. Or the coach.

Avenger

Immortal
Ofahengaue has proven himself over 172 NRL games, and had a career best season in 2022. Greig just played his first season of more than two games and wasn't any better than Ofahengaue if you include his Tigers output.
I can’t believe it but I’m with my old mate, Pou here. I can’t understand the hatred for him here. He is a top defender and very experienced. He will be my tip for a great season in 2024.

BTW I know I’m not on ignore so stop ignoring me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would have thought that the "smart recruitment" was already done by Storm. Anyone who buys him now will be paying very solid coin.
Exactly. When the Storm bought Meaney he was up there with Morgan Harper. He would’ve been cheap. Right now he might get about $400k on the open market.

Latest posts