What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
Let's be honest... that full strength pack isn't going to win us a comp in 2024 onwards, or get us to top 4 - whethe rit's Doorey or Cartwright in the starting side.

Even if all of them are available and play out of their skins every single week.
Where do you think the weakness is?
Compare it to this years GF packs.

1697719343014.png

Where do you think the weakness is?
Paulo and RCG - each another year older, other packs (except Penrith) aren't worried anymore.
Lane Doorey Cartwright - all can be hot and cold on form, season to season.
Offa - hasn't convinced me much

Compare it to this years GF packs.

View attachment 80922
As Pou might say - the ones on the left (plus Capewell) have all won a GF, so they're automatically better!

But you have to admit the Panthers on the left shits on ours though on paper. I don't think there's one position where we our guys any more than equal.

The Broncos is not as quality, but I'd argue Haas, Capewell and Carrigan are as good as (if not better) than our equivalents, Riki and Walters about same same with our guys in those numbers. Flegler's young with potential and not far behind our starting middles (who are in decline) anyway.

Comparison complete - as stated before, we don't stack up.

King-Gutho94

Coach
How often would they be in PNG? I can’t imagine too many players with families wanting to visit Port Moresby on the regular.
Yeah I am sure the Wives and Girlfriends of these players dream is to move to Port Moresby.

The more I think about it the more stupid it is.

May as well just call them the Cairns Crocodiles.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Its a good investment by the Govt. It is offsetting Chinese money
I find the timing of this too convenient especially after last Saturday.

I don't trust any pollies. Plus as I said what happens if the government changes or another leader comes in who couldn't give a flying toss about RL and decides to drop the funding at a drop of a hat to suit there agenda.

I don't feel like the game should be going down this path doesn't feel right to me.

Gronk

Staff member

I don't trust any pollies. Plus as I said what happens if the government changes or another leader comes in who couldn't give a flying toss about RL and decides to drop the funding at a drop of a hat to suit there agenda.

I don't feel like the game should be going down this path doesn't feel right to me.
It’s their national sport. The only country in fact that celebrates NRL as their sport. China are sliding into Solomon Island, PNG’s DMs.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to reinforce friendships.

1697745323989.jpeg

Why do you think that? On paper I’d say it’s easily a top 4 forward pack.
Sorry missed this - see above breakdown in response to emjaycee.

The pack's ok, but its main strike weapons are ageing and inconsistent - so It think it's more a middle of the road, 6th-10th on the ladder pack.

strider

Post Whore

Mmmmm, it seems incredibly short sighted and flawed as f**k..... pollies involved, in sport, what could go wrong

I guess arse kissing comes in many forms

84 Baby

Referee

It’s their national sport. The only country in fact that celebrates NRL as their sport. China are sliding into Solomon Island, PNG’s DMs.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to reinforce friendships.

View attachment 80924
It’s a good move by the government but I agree that I don’t think it’s the best thought out move by the NRL

Gronk

Staff member
Mmmmm, it seems incredibly short sighted and flawed as f**k..... pollies involved, in sport, what could go wrong

I guess arse kissing comes in many forms
It’s a good move by the government but I agree that I don’t think it’s the best thought out move by the NRL
I agree that the NRL team will prolly lose every week unless they prop it up AFL style, but I guess we don't know how realistic the odds are of the commies having Naval base there, permanent or otherwise. What would suck more ? Having PNG in the NRL or China having a military presence on our doorstep?

84 Baby

Referee
I agree that the NRL team will prolly lose every week unless they prop it up AFL style, but I guess we don't know how realistic the odds are of the commies having Naval base there, permanent or otherwise. What would suck more ? Having PNG in the NRL or China having a military presence on our doorstep?
That’s why it’s a good move by the government. Hearts and minds stuff.
That doesn’t mean it’s a good long term strategy for the NRL

Gronk

Staff member
That’s why it’s a good move by the government. Hearts and minds stuff.
That doesn’t mean it’s a good long term strategy for the NRL
Agree, TBH the NRLW will probably bring losses for decades, but very important for the greater good.

I see that their new shiny stadium has the gold / copper / gas miners Newcrest / Santos all over it. There is no reason why the government needs to chip in for ever. They just need to work out a way to make it work, if deemed absolutely necessary.

JokerEel

Coach
Only way they could do it is have the team called PNG Whatever's sponsored by the Grubby mining companies and base themselves in Cairns for training living ect..

JokerEel

Coach
Agree, TBH the NRLW will probably bring losses for decades, but very important for the greater good.

I see that their new shiny stadium has the gold / copper miners Santos all over it. There is no reason why the government needs to chip in for ever. They just need to work out a way to make it work, if deemed absolutely necessary.

Bugger that if the Fed government wants a team in PNG then they will be chipping in as long as their is a side based in PNG..

But seriously they cant just plonk a team in PNG unless they get the juniors fixed up in PNG and Cairns for developing future players..

Gronk

Staff member
Bugger that if the Fed government wants a team in PNG then they will be chipping in as long as their is a side based in PNG..

But seriously they cant just plonk a team in PNG unless they get the juniors fixed up in PNG and Cairns for developing future players..
Well the current funding model is that the NRL gives each team a f**kton from the broadcast rights. So the gov and big miners can chip in the rest.

Yes juniors etc, but no different than setting up in Perth. Who wouldn't have the greatest junior program I'd say.

strider

Post Whore
Yes it would be terrible to have military bases of people you dont trust right on your border ...... hmmmmm, sounds familiar

JokerEel

Coach
Well the current funding model is that the NRL gives each team a f**kton from the broadcast rights. So the gov and big miners can chip in the rest.

Yes juniors etc, but no different than setting up in Perth. Who wouldn't have the greatest junior program I'd say.

Government wants a team up their they can pay for it not come out of the NRLs pockets. Their needa to be a pretty big carrot for the NRL.

Agree on the Juniors in Perf. But with the government really wanting an NRL side in PNG the NRL should be also having them fund Grassrootes.