What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Government wants a team up their they can pay for it not come out of the NRLs pockets. Their needa to be a pretty big carrot for the NRL.

Agree on the Juniors in Perf. But with the government really wanting an NRL side in PNG the NRL should be also having them fund Grassrootes.
But the broadcasters will pay more for more content. Why are you kicking stones ?

JokerEel

Coach
But the broadcasters will pay more for more content. Why are you kicking stones ?

Kicking stones?

No smart business, if someone wants something from you, make sure you get something from them..

If the NRL is getting more from broadcasters that's due to their hard work it shouldn't be used to prop up the club the Government wants included. (even though there are current clubs that do get propped up by that cash...)

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well the current funding model is that the NRL gives each team a f**kton from the broadcast rights. So the gov and big miners can chip in the rest.

Yes juniors etc, but no different than setting up in Perth. Who wouldn't have the greatest junior program I'd say.

Not a lot but i suppose a local side would bring an uplift in junior participation.

Like Western Force is the main rugby team over there. And we know union is on its deathbed plonk a team there how many union players would jump ship and play league with a pathway to a local team.

TheRam

Coach
Until you can throw darts at merkins who’ve never played first grade you are not offering any special insight.

You identified Farnworth playing NRL before his 20th birthday? Big f**king deal. The actual experts (Brisbane’s highly paid scouts) picked him from England while he was still in school. You didn’t.

Mate you're a knob.

We are fans not paid professional scouts. I and everybody else here doesn't spend hours, days, weeks, months and years watching junior games and tournaments to unearth the handful of kids that they can recruit each year and hope 1 or 2 of them can actually make it in the NRL.

We at best will watch a few lower grade games a season and maybe see a player or two that catches our eye that we think on a very small sample size might be in with a shot.

So the best we can do is when we see a new player elevated to the NRL within a handful of games or a full season sometimes make a call on them and say this guy will not make it long term, this guy will be fringe, this guy will be a standard NRL player, this guy will be fringe SOO level, this guy will be SOO/International level and in very rare cases this guy will be once in a generation player, like Hindmarsh, Semi and Hayne were.

But pou, you can't even spot quality when they have been playing NRL for a while you pelican, because I remember when I pointed out how good Joseph Manu was early on in his career you panned him.

Also other players that I straight away new that they could be special like Shaun Lane, Patrick Carrigan and even a player like Blake Lawrie who I liked from his very first game in first grade and thought he would develop into at least a very handy NRL player. The unfortunate thing with him is he has been playing for such a basket case yo yo team like the Dragons that it has been very hard for him in his young and development years to really grow and fulfill his true potential so it has taken him a while, but this last season or so he has been much more consistent and I expect him to really kick on with a better coach now.

Then there are the Phoenix Crossland types who don't fined their best position or feet for a while but then when they finally do they quickly start to impress and shine. Crossland was/is one of them.

Also on players like Lane who can dip and then shine in performances, as we can now all see he has immense talent but unfortunately he is being coached by a very one dimensional spud of a coach so the inconsistency is still there. But I still believe that if Lane was coached by one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the game and in a quality roster he would have fulfilled his full potential by now and been much more consistent and played SOO and for Australia. Some players are just like that and need special coaching to get them up and consistent, they need that guy that knows how to get in their heads and push and trigger the right buttons and others like say Gutho just need to be let loose, they have it within them all the time.

That's part of what you pay the best coaches for, not necessarily the X's and O's.

As for spotting talent, some of us have it and others like you are better off buying industrial supplies of K-Y Jelly for those special moments like when paid idiots at our club make recruitment decisions like Morgan Harper. I know it's so freakin exciting for you, but here's a tip brother, in your haste don't forget to buy an industrial supply of Kleenex's too.

84 Baby

Referee
Agree, TBH the NRLW will probably bring losses for decades, but very important for the greater good.
I don’t think you’re quite getting what I’m saying. The government may chip in some $$$ for women’s sport but whether it makes losses or not, the NRL has complete control over NRLW.

What happens to the PNG team if PNG decide they’ll just go all in with China instead so Aus government pulls football support?
What happens if Aus government really really really want to back PNG team, but having that PNG team becomes a huge drain on the rest of NRL, or they become post super league Souths?

Sure for NRL a PNG team may be for greater good, but they’ll be giving up control

TheRam

Coach
Paulo and RCG - each another year older, other packs (except Penrith) aren't worried anymore.
Lane Doorey Cartwright - all can be hot and cold on form, season to season.
Offa - hasn't convinced me much

As Pou might say - the ones on the left (plus Capewell) have all won a GF, so they're automatically better!

But you have to admit the Panthers on the left shits on ours though on paper. I don't think there's one position where we our guys any more than equal.

The Broncos is not as quality, but I'd argue Haas, Capewell and Carrigan are as good as (if not better) than our equivalents, Riki and Walters about same same with our guys in those numbers. Flegler's young with potential and not far behind our starting middles (who are in decline) anyway.

Comparison complete - as stated before, we don't stack up.

Yes but you initially said if they play out of their skin every week.

If they did that, dare I say no pack in this NRL could match them. But there in lies the problem, Then don't do it every week and now as you say, they are a year older now too.

King-Gutho94

Coach
What happens to the PNG team if PNG decide they’ll just go all in with China instead so Aus government pulls football support?
I suppose when it falls over with the Australian governments the NRL could ask the Chinese Government if they want to chip in 25 mill a year for an NRL Team.

If you don't ask you don't receive.

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t think you’re quite getting what I’m saying. The government may chip in some $$$ for women’s sport but whether it makes losses or not, the NRL has complete control over NRLW.

What happens if Aus government really really really want to back PNG team, but having that PNG team becomes a huge drain on the rest of NRL, or they become post super league Souths?

Sure for NRL a PNG team may be for greater good, but they’ll be giving up control
The AU government are not amateurs. An NRL franchise will have conditions precedent.

Countries like PNG are by and large loyal to us, but have short attention spans. Adding grease to the gears is part of diplomatic relations as much as foreign aid.

Take them for granted however and you can lose them Re: Solomon Islands.

You just have to get the model right. Right for PNG, right for AU and right for NRL.

JokerEel

Coach
With the PNG team getting the 18th spot I can see the NRL going up to 20 teams to get a Perf team and a second NZ team which will be a pacific team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate you're a knob.

We are fans not paid professional scouts. I and everybody else here doesn't spend hours, days, weeks, months and years watching junior games and tournaments to unearth the handful of kids that they can recruit each year and hope 1 or 2 of them can actually make it in the NRL.

We at best will watch a few lower grade games a season and maybe see a player or two that catches our eye that we think on a very small sample size might be in with a shot.

So the best we can do is when we see a new player elevated to the NRL within a handful of games or a full season sometimes make a call on them and say this guy will not make it long term, this guy will be fringe, this guy will be a standard NRL player, this guy will be fringe SOO level, this guy will be SOO/International level and in very rare cases this guy will be once in a generation player, like Hindmarsh, Semi and Hayne were.

But pou, you can't even spot quality when they have been playing NRL for a while you pelican, because I remember when I pointed out how good Joseph Manu was early on in his career you panned him.

Also other players that I straight away new that they could be special like Shaun Lane, Patrick Carrigan and even a player like Blake Lawrie who I liked from his very first game in first grade and thought he would develop into at least a very handy NRL player. The unfortunate thing with him is he has been playing for such a basket case yo yo team like the Dragons that it has been very hard for him in his young and development years to really grow and fulfill his true potential so it has taken him a while, but this last season or so he has been much more consistent and I expect him to really kick on with a better coach now.

Then there are the Phoenix Crossland types who don't fined their best position or feet for a while but then when they finally do they quickly start to impress and shine. Crossland was/is one of them.

Also on players like Lane who can dip and then shine in performances, as we can now all see he has immense talent but unfortunately he is being coached by a very one dimensional spud of a coach so the inconsistency is still there. But I still believe that if Lane was coached by one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the game and in a quality roster he would have fulfilled his full potential by now and been much more consistent and played SOO and for Australia. Some players are just like that and need special coaching to get them up and consistent, they need that guy that knows how to get in their heads and push and trigger the right buttons and others like say Gutho just need to be let loose, they have it within them all the time.

That's part of what you pay the best coaches for, not necessarily the X's and O's.

As for spotting talent, some of us have it and others like you are better off buying industrial supplies of K-Y Jelly for those special moments like when paid idiots at our club make recruitment decisions like Morgan Harper. I know it's so freakin exciting for you, but here's a tip brother, in your haste don't forget to buy an industrial supply of Kleenex's too.
Two safe assumptions:

1. Players hitting career milestones at a young age will be very good

2. Every club needs shit (cheap) players in their top 30

Neither of those situations are cause for crowing about your talent spotting skills or shitcanning the Eels.

Noise

Coach
Australian governments thoughts on PNG

Reconsider travel to Papua New Guinea due to crime, civil unrest, and piracy. Exercise increased caution due to kidnapping, unexploded ordnance, inconsistent availability of healthcare services, and potential for natural disasters. Some areas have increased risk.

But let’s play footy there.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Where do you think the weakness is?
Compare it to this years GF packs.

View attachment 80922

Australian players and arguably best in position

Yeo
Martin

Leota Jfh have destroyed opposition packs in 3 grand finals.

Spencer of bench

Kenny better then Lussick

Sorenson is in par with Lane

But if Jnr gets back to his best we can match this pack. Jnr and RCG are good enough to play for Australia. Lane 2022 is NSW quality. Hopgood may play for QLD soon. Matterson isn't far off. And Joe O will be better I think also.

Our issue is no 9 and the backline for me.

hindy111

Post Whore
Morgan Harper and Tualgi signings don't bother me because I don't rate either. Tualigi may be ok.
Both are squad fillers and won't see the topm17 unless injuries.

Last year's recruitment drive was far worse. Murchie,Hodgson,Davey and Doorey where all seen as replacements for Mahoney,Marata,Kafusi,Papali'i.
Moimesea was seen as a smokie. Massive dud.

We did well with Hopgood. I think the jury is still out on Joe O.
We also didn't sign any backs which was ridiculous bar Lumelume.

Our squad shapes up much better this season with the emergence of Grieg and Morreti as well. Unsure where other juniors are at but it's possible a guy like Mataele has a big off season and steps up to NRL level. Russel I imagine will bulk up as well.

We still need to find a quality centre. I don't think our jnrs will be ready before 2026.

strider

Post Whore
Australian governments thoughts on Port Moresby :

Reconsider travel to Papua New Guinea due to crime, civil unrest, and piracy. Exercise increased caution due to kidnapping, unexploded ordnance, inconsistent availability of healthcare services, and potential for natural disasters. Some areas have increased risk.

But let’s play footy there.
lol