What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
Sorenson is underrated - he is a million times more consistent than Lane ..... penrith just have no weakness across the park

Broncos have possibly the best pack .... though the loss of, oh f**k i forgot his name, blonde middle forward - will leave a hole .... he is so good i forgot his name lol
I don’t think the Broncos pack is anything special (talent wise). Most of those players were there last year when they missed the 8. They obviously changed something during the off season to fix their defence so good work by the coaching staff and they got extremely lucky to have Reece Walsh fall into their lap.

84 Baby

Referee
The NRL don’t care about China but they absolutely care about support from the Australian government.
But they aren’t getting that support without the PNG team, so what happens when the equation starts going into the red (which is a high chance for any team) for keeping a PNG team?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But they aren’t getting that support without the PNG team, so what happens when the equation starts going into the red (which is a high chance for any team) for keeping a PNG team?
Depends how much above the grant they need to operate. Resource companies might be ‘encouraged’ by PNG to sponsor the NRL team as just the cost of doing business. Running costs for an NRL team are a drop in the ocean for the likes of St Barbara, or even the Australian government if they were forced to bankroll it. It is an area of massive political benefit compared to the cost. The soft power of the NRL is perhaps the only thing that separates Australia from anyone else in PNG. Even China’s ability to hand over cash with no attached human rights demands isn’t unique to the PRC.

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
Morgan Harper and Tualgi signings don't bother me because I don't rate either. Tualigi may be ok.
Both are squad fillers and won't see the topm17 unless injuries.

Last year's recruitment drive was far worse. Murchie,Hodgson,Davey and Doorey where all seen as replacements for Mahoney,Marata,Kafusi,Papali'i.
Moimesea was seen as a smokie. Massive dud.

We did well with Hopgood. I think the jury is still out on Joe O.
We also didn't sign any backs which was ridiculous bar Lumelume.

Our squad shapes up much better this season with the emergence of Grieg and Morreti as well. Unsure where other juniors are at but it's possible a guy like Mataele has a big off season and steps up to NRL level. Russel I imagine will bulk up as well.

We still need to find a quality centre. I don't think our jnrs will be ready before 2026.

I agree with much of this but I’m not prepared to write off Bailey in the centres just yet. He seems very fit and was making quality hitups at the back end of last year for around ten metres a carry. His catch and pass and one on one with the ball is okay as well.

If he can hold his own in defence with an off season at centre behind him, I am okay with him in that spot.

My biggest concern is the right wing spot. Hopefully Russell does put on some size as you mentioned and naturally progresses a little more.

Gronk

Staff member
@Gronk told me don’t be so ridiculous he’s just a Flegg player. His talent identification is second behind only Pou on these forums.
Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

84 Baby

Referee
Depends how much above the grant they need to operate. Resource companies might be ‘encouraged’ by PNG to sponsor the NRL team as just the cost of doing business. Running costs for an NRL team are a drop in the ocean for the likes of St Barbara, or even the Australian government if they were forced to bankroll it. It is an area of massive political benefit compared to the cost. The soft power of the NRL is perhaps the only thing that separates Australia from anyone else in PNG. Even China’s ability to hand over cash with no attached human rights demands isn’t unique to the PRC.
FMD… you and Gronk…

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah I getcha. It’s going to run at a loss, probably forever. Foreign aid does the same thing. My point is this is bigger than the NRL. There’s a lot of money involved in the relationship between our two great countries ffs
That’s not what I said at all.
Again this is a good decision by government. It’s influence that China can’t provide, so it’s also discounted.
But it’s a sugar hit for NRL. Whether it makes record profits or not, it’s put another master that NRL are beholden to, that dilutes the control NRL have over their own business.
And because it’s discounted foreign aid, it’s a cash cow for government. How likely do you think they’ll allow NRL uninhibited decision making about that?

Latest posts