What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Says the bloke who watches 8 games of footy a year 🙄 🤦😂

And yet I still know more then you.

Besides, Them wanting to hold down a position fulltime and making it their own has nothing to do with footy, but human nature and it would seem that you don't understand that either.

Maybe you should stick to comics. Two dimensional characters and worlds seem to be more your speed mate. Just saying. The human psyche can be a little confusing for some no matter how basic it is for others.

At least you have emoji's to play with, sort of fit in well with the comic strip world you must live in.

Stagger eel

Staff member
That is disappointing. Shouldn't be allowed back anywhere near the game but then again neither should Jennings....

and Xerri?

it would be interesting to see 3 players in the NRL who have not played the game at any level for about 3 years +...it goes to show the lack of depth this game has and the NRL want to add more teams to the comp...

TheRam

Coach
Everyone recognised it. He made his NRL debut at 18 ffs. He always had massive potential. But Drinkwater is also a talent, and was a more mature playmaker. By the end of 2022 he was established as their fullback. There was no room for HTF in their 2023 salary cap. Drinkwater would be on plenty.

Hiku's contract would be significantly less than whatever the Hammer is on this year.

Pou logic to the fore.

Mate, I didn't say they were completely blind to his talent, but they just didn't value it as high as they should have as nor did our Recruitment and Retention committee either. When you can't fit a guy like Hammer in your starting 13 either at wing, centre or fullback permanently and keep him happy so he isn't sitting on the bench and playing cameo roles in games, you have totally dropped the spot the talent ball. As for how much he would have cost, mate he would have been on no more then $400K and for the player he is that is way unders. They could have can a couple of lesser lights if they had to to keep him there. It wasn't about money when he moved, it was about getting a spot in the starting team permanently. Period!

My biggest disappointment is that we didn't get in way earlier, like back in 2021 or early 2022 and serenade him with love songs from the land of the Blue and Gold. We could have picked up one of the best outside backs that would have been quite happy back then to play centre on a permanent basis for jam. But now that the Dolphins have him and played him at fullback any other club has Buckley's in prizing him away.

But well that's the way our club rolls. Almost always that little bit to late to the party and then complains there is no available talent around to fill our weak spots. But how come I and some other knowledgeable posters like Hindy are always pointing out talent that is under valued before they become stars or household names? And I don't even watch games like I used to. Imagine if I was paid to spot talent and had all the resources these lemons cruds do. Our Club would be bulging at the seams with so much potential and talent it would make the Panthers look like the Tigers on a bad day.

Your excuses are on a conveyor belt that never stops. But I get it, bullsh*t make the world go round. So keep on pooing Pou, it's what you do. Cheers

Soto

Bench
And yet I still know more then you.

Besides, Them wanting to hold down a position fulltime and making it their own has nothing to do with footy, but human nature and it would seem that you don't understand that either.

Maybe you should stick to comics. Two dimensional characters and worlds seem to be more your speed mate. Just saying. The human psyche can be a little confusing for some no matter how basic it is for others.

At least you have emoji's to play with, sort of fit in well with the comic strip world you must live in.
Not going to get in a slanging match because that's just petulant, childish, juvenile and the like.
However the club have themselves come out saying they either want a fullback or 14 for that x-factor which we lack.
They both fit the bill.
The beauty of an internet forum is people have differing opinions. No harm with that.
On Gutho- great player but there were many games this year where he was out of position and did some absolute dumb plays which cost us big time.
No one is immune.
Let's call it for what it is...
Do I want him at our club. Absolutely. Would I move him to another position if It meant overall the team is better. Absolutely.
Would having gutho at centre and brimson/Campbell at fullback makes us better instead of Simonsson at centre. Maybe.
I like the fact the club is thinking how do get better...
I will support the Eels no matter what. I just want us to win that elusive premiership
❤️

Gazzamatta

Coach
and Xerri?

it would be interesting to see 3 players in the NRL who have not played the game at any level for about 3 years +...it goes to show the lack of depth this game has and the NRL want to add more teams to the comp...
Although its tough to swallow I guess its why Our Eels have forgone the chase for expensive imports and focused on juniors both internally and externally. More pain before the benefits are forthcoming. This plan needs not only good juniors but our ability to bring them through as NRL capable. Im annoyed that Cayless appears to be one of those mentors however the club has promoted Brennan to run interference in the 2s so thats a positive. His work in the Flegg etc looked promising. Rankin also has massive experience and may be a dark horse for higher coaching honours.
We obviously need to ensure we have great scouts, top recruitment people/ mechanisms and a culture that works in our favour to retain our best kids. We need to play a style of footy that provides opportunities for all positions and we need to be ruthless with senior players who are costing a bomb once they arent performing to their pay cheque. Hopefully we have or are putting these requirements in place. Fingers crossed.
I dont expect much in 2024 but am hopefull it is a turning point year that promises future success.

JokerEel

Coach
and Xerri?

Is there a lack of depth? Its not like the Bulldogs or Roosters haven't got an abundance of players at the moment.

Doggies just let go of 2 centres bought the Panthers best centre and have some juniors coming through. Burton is also a centre.

T.S Quint

Coach
I may be able to forgive the threats, assaults and other violent behaviour.
But I just support a bloke on my team who has a f**king Melbourne Storm tattoo.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F7ebf5e8a-f17d-48ab-a23c-a26bb93fdd8a

T.S Quint

Coach
That is disappointing. Shouldn't be allowed back anywhere near the game but then again neither should Jennings....

Jennings shouldn't be back in the game mostly for the fact that he's a 35-year-old fat bastard who hasn't played in 3 years. I'm not sure what the Roosters are getting out of this.

TheRam

Coach
Not going to get in a slanging match because that's just petulant, childish, juvenile and the like.
However the club have themselves come out saying they either want a fullback or 14 for that x-factor which we lack.
They both fit the bill.
The beauty of an internet forum is people have differing opinions. No harm with that.
On Gutho- great player but there were many games this year where he was out of position and did some absolute dumb plays which cost us big time.
No one is immune.
Let's call it for what it is...
Do I want him at our club. Absolutely. Would I move him to another position if It meant overall the team is better. Absolutely.
Would having gutho at centre and brimson/Campbell at fullback makes us better instead of Simonsson at centre. Maybe.
I like the fact the club is thinking how do get better...
I will support the Eels no matter what. I just want us to win that elusive premiership
❤️

Problem is they are focusing on a position that is filled by one of the nest players in the comp and our leader. If they were to ever move him from fullback they may as well let him go. For his ability in any other position is not worth anywhere near the $800K+ that he would be on now. As a centre or 5/8th his worth would be closer to $400K at best. He is an out and out fullback and a damn fine one at that.

As for him not being at his best at times during the season, I have said this many times before. Never judge backs in particular when teams aren't playing well. If you know a player is quality but is being shown up in a team that is playing badly, then you can ignore that bad form more or less. Put it this way, stick Edwards at fullback for Parra this year, do you think he would have been faultless? When a team is being exposed then the brunt of the attack comes down to the one on one players and where there is less traffic because the opposition has worked over the ruck and is now playing with width and speed that has the wider fringe players and fullback included back peddling and second guessing.

Like I said before, Gutho and fullback is not our problem. We should be focusing on wingers and centres and our RR is stupid for even entertaining the idea or replacing or moving Gutho, when it is so bleeding obvious that we need centres and wingers and both are much cheaper and easier to fill, but they have made it look like we are trying to sign the ghost of Reg Gasnier FFS!

They have had at least two seasons to sort this mess out and yet we still have nothing. What a disgrace. Pathetic actually and they should all be replaced if we were fair dinkum.

84 Baby

Referee
Jennings shouldn't be back in the game mostly for the fact that he's a 35-year-old fat bastard who hasn't played in 3 years. I'm not sure what the Roosters are getting out of this.
I suspect we all know what Rorters are getting out of it

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ex Eel Sam Loizou has joined the Tigers on a T&T deal, saw he debuted for you guys at 18 then clearly couldnt make the side ahead of guns like Blake and Simmonson. Any chance he does something for us?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Jennings still had 2 years to run on his contract when he was banned.

He was contracted to end of 2022 with us.

Do anyone reckon if he was still in the side for the 2022 season would he would have made any impact getting us to a GF that year.

I suppose he might have kept Waqa Blake out of the side not that made a difference on GF day.