What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don’t forget it was only a few years after they merged, when they were given cap dispensations. Along with the Dragons, Wests were very strong back then, right up until about 2012.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Don’t forget it was only a few years after they merged, when they were given cap dispensations. Along with the Dragons, Wests were very strong back then, right up until about 2012.
They got hot for 3 months and won a comp.

They didn't make the finals before or for another 5 years after winning the premiership.

They were never strong they fluked it.

2005 was a bigger waste under Brian Smith era then 2001.

Pound for pound we were better then the Tigers, Cowboys and Dragons that season.

Broncos, Roosters, Bulldogs the 3 powerhouses of that era weren't around and Storm were still developing under Bellamy.

lucablight

First Grade

They didn't make the finals before or for another 5 years after winning the premiership.

Pound for pound we were better then the Tigers, Cowboys and Dragons that season.

Broncos, Roosters, Bulldogs the 3 powerhouses of that era weren't around and Storm were still developing under Bellamy.
We got screwed over by Brett Seymour injuring Hindmarsh and Fui getting suspended for no reason. If we had Hindmarsh and Fui in the end game that season I think we would have won the whole thing.

hindy111

Post Whore

When Tigers knocked Saints out I remember thinking the grand final is ours......

Incorrect

Coach
We got screwed over by Brett Seymour injuring Hindmarsh and Fui getting suspended for no reason. If we had Hindmarsh and Fui in the end game that season I think we would have won the whole thing.
I dunno mate.... Never underestimate the power of an Eels capitulation and unexplained buffoonery.... Were Hindmarsh and Fui 29 point difference makers?? I doubt it. If we'd won the prelim we'd have messed up the GF anyway... At least that's what our last 37 years has me believing anyway.....

Incorrect

Coach
When Tigers knocked Saints out I remember thinking the grand final is ours......
I think most people did... Probably not me though. Looking back, I don't think I was cocky enough to think we were specials after the Dragons lost. I think I was still wary.... The life of an Eels supporter I guess....

hindy111

Post Whore
I dunno mate.... Never underestimate the power of an Eels capitulation and unexplained buffoonery.... Were Hindmarsh and Fui 29 point difference makers?? I doubt it. If we'd won the prelim we'd have messed up the GF anyway... At least that's what our last 37 years has me believing anyway.....

Worse day ever. We also.got a $180 parking ticket as we left

King-Gutho94

Coach
I rememebr Dad was listening to 2ky that morning at breakfast looked outside it was overcast and said to me and my brother who were 11 and 9 at the time at breakfast.

I think we're going to lose today he had a sick feeling in his stomach something bad was going to happen.

Mum was already thinking about what decorations we would put up in the house for GF week.

Went the game and mum, dad and Nan said with 15 to go to me and my brother were seen enough and left early got the train back to seven Hills devastated.

Only game I remember leaving early from in my life.

I think I was still young enough to get over it quickly enough. If that was result happened in the past 10 years would have broken me for a month I reckon.

Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yep matto to attack in the middle.

That RCG try in the prelim a few years back where matto used his ballskills to draw the defence in & put Reg into the hole for his 1st try that night is an example of what Matto is capable of.

We just don't use it enough

Ryan Matterson is horribly under-utilised in this team.

He's so much more than just a battering ram.

lingard

Coach
From the link that Avenger posted:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...ws-story/9de2e299296f65a1df7b1cc6bd1786dd?amp

Scott's own words seem to imply more than one 'mistake'.

Yes, I read that. But some of the "mistakes" and incidents" were not associated with domestic violence. (Such as when he was found asleep in a park by police and became aggressive when they roused him.) I'm not defending
the man, I just think it's funny (and a sad indictment on all of us).that we are so quick to be judge, jury, and executioner of
people on the basis of a 'quick ten second google search'. It's just funny and sad that we can call people maggots and such like when all we know of them is a record of their transgressions.

So still defending Scott's actions, it appears... 😥

I think the criminal record itself would sting much harder than someone viewing someone as a grub/maggot (on the basis of said criminal record) - and rightly so.

yy_cheng

Coach
Ryan Matterson is horribly under-utilised in this team.

He's so much more than just a battering ram.
Yeah, in 2022 he was passing offloading and being creative. In 2023,he just ran it up. Mind you, i think he still did a great job doing that but i agree with you.

Now, i always wonder if that was the coaches call or his own decision. Ba have said and the players say it too, is to play what's in front of you. Jnr does it, plays what he feels is in front of him, so does matto just want to just ruck it up

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I wonder how much of Matto being "underutilised" was us missing forwards each week from the pack? Some won't agree but it'll be good to see our forward pack get more than 1 game together because when they do it's quite formidable at full strength. Matto, Hopgood, Paulo, Campbell-Gillard, Ofahengaue, Greig. There's going to be some low minutes each week for a couple of them, and people wonder why we can't just "go out and buy outside backs"

84 Baby

Referee
I wonder how much of Matto being "underutilised" was us missing forwards each week from the pack? Some won't agree but it'll be good to see our forward pack get more than 1 game together because when they do it's quite formidable at full strength. Matto, Hopgood, Paulo, Campbell-Gillard, Ofahengaue, Greig. There's going to be some low minutes each week for a couple of them, and people wonder why we can't just "go out and buy outside backs"
Matto was very under-utilised in the opening 3 games this year