What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah, in 2021 he was passing offloading and being creative. In 2022,he just ran it up. Mind you, i think he still did a great job doing that but i agree with you.

Now, i always wonder if that was the coaches call or his own decision. Ba have said and the players say it too, is to play what's in front of you. Jnr does it, plays what he feels is in front of him, so does matto just want to just ruck it up
You have to do the grunt work before you can be “creative”.
Too many times this year we, Matto especially, ambled it up with clear premeditation of offloading, got dominated in tackle but still threw a sloppy pass that no one was prepared for, except the surging defence. Or we, Paulo especially, ambled it up and passed 5 metres before the line to another ambling forward who was already lined up by 2-3 defenders.
They’re things we definitely did better in 2022.

strider

Post Whore
I wonder how much of Matto being "underutilised" was us missing forwards each week from the pack? Some won't agree but it'll be good to see our forward pack get more than 1 game together because when they do it's quite formidable at full strength. Matto, Hopgood, Paulo, Campbell-Gillard, Ofahengaue, Greig. There's going to be some low minutes each week for a couple of them, and people wonder why we can't just "go out and buy outside backs"
Well no ... the question is more, why did we buy another middle on pretty decent coin when we already had a decent amount of talent.

Its like 10 thousand offas when all you need is another penis.

And i bet people will say, injuries ... well we have had plenty of backs injured over the years too but we supposedly dont budge and over commit to contracts unless we need to .... Ofa wasnt a one year fill in while there are injuries.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wonder how much of Matto being "underutilised" was us missing forwards each week from the pack? Some won't agree but it'll be good to see our forward pack get more than 1 game together because when they do it's quite formidable at full strength. Matto, Hopgood, Paulo, Campbell-Gillard, Ofahengaue, Greig. There's going to be some low minutes each week for a couple of them, and people wonder why we can't just "go out and buy outside backs"

That's a fair point - but it doesn't explain why we are not using a guy who has good ball skills more often.

Matto makes plenty of metres, but he also has a great degree of skill - he could add another dimension to our pack.

He does offload a bit, but he also has a good short passing game, and a good short kicking game. It's wasted.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think one of our problems is that matto and hopgood pretty have the same attacking game ... you need someone on the field to play that but ptobably not both at the same time.

And to compound it, junior wants to play it too.

Yep. We have too many of the same ilk.

I think Matterson, and Cartwright, are more unique, though - they have decent short kicking games we could be using.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well no ... the question is more, why did we buy another middle on pretty decent coin when we already had a decent amount of talent.

Its like 10 thousand offas when all you need is another penis.

And i bet people will say, injuries ... well we have had plenty of backs injured over the years too but we supposedly dont budge and over commit to contracts unless we need to .... Ofa wasnt a one year fill in while there are injuries.
Ofahengaue adds defence to a pack with too many attackers. Our main weakness was/is our middle defence. Ofahengaue was signed to improve us there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. We have too many of the same ilk.

I think Matterson, and Cartwright, are more unique, though - they have decent short kicking games we could be using.
Considering you can usually only kick once per set, how many are you expecting from these merkins? It is the most important play in the set. You don’t want to leave it up to a forward other than as a trick shot, otherwise the percentages will kill you over time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Watching 502 as Mickey Buettner and Jamie Lyon are carving up NQ in 2005, gee they were good times, attacking footy with pace on the outside and Hindy running into spaces . Pretty good to watch even now.
I feel like 2005 is when rugby league peaked as a spectacle.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

I agree. And that's what I was trying to say, I must not have been correct in my wording. We can't just "go out and get outside backs" because we have so much money tied up in the forwards.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
That's a fair point - but it doesn't explain why we are not using a guy who has good ball skills more often.

Matto makes plenty of metres, but he also has a great degree of skill - he could add another dimension to our pack.

He does offload a bit, but he also has a good short passing game, and a good short kicking game. It's wasted.

How many touches should Matterson get? I'd say Hopgood played the lock/spine role over Matterson this year and may have played it better.

Personally I do not want Matterson to kick a ball unless necessary. He may have a good short kicking game but Moses, Brown, and Gutherson all have better short kicking games. Unless something goes wrong Matterson should not be kicking, it should not be something we work towards.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Considering you can usually only kick once per set, how many are you expecting from these merkins? It is the most important play in the set. You don’t want to leave it up to a forward other than as a trick shot, otherwise the percentages will kill you over time.

We could create some set plays to practise, and add some unpredictability to this team.

Opposition teams know our kick on tackle 6 will come from Moses, because he's our best kicker.

Nothing wrong with devising a trick play to be used every once in a while to keep defenders honest.

Eelementary

Post Whore
How many touches should Matterson get? I'd say Hopgood played the lock/spine role over Matterson this year and may have played it better.

Personally I do not want Matterson to kick a ball unless necessary. He may have a good short kicking game but Moses, Brown, and Gutherson all have better short kicking games. Unless something goes wrong Matterson should not be kicking, it should not be something we work towards.

We shouldn't work towards it, and it's not what I said.

And I don't agree that Hopgood was better - his defence, for one, is nowhere near as good.

I do like Hopgood, though.

We should be utilising Matterson's skill set more.

His short passing game is as good as Paulo's - maybe even better.

It makes no sense to me to have someone with his skill set, and to not utilise it.

I'm not saying we should centre out gameplay entirely around it, but surely getting Matterson more involved in the middle third with his passing game would be beneficial?

84 Baby

Referee
We shouldn't work towards it, and it's not what I said.

And I don't agree that Hopgood was better - his defence, for one, is nowhere near as good.

I do like Hopgood, though.

We should be utilising Matterson's skill set more.

His short passing game is as good as Paulo's - maybe even better.

It makes no sense to me to have someone with his skill set, and to not utilise it.

I'm not saying we should centre out gameplay entirely around it, but surely getting Matterson more involved in the middle third with his passing game would be beneficial?
I think you are misremembering this year because it was bad. Matterson passed the ball a lot. We (and Matterson was big part of this) didn’t lay a good enough platform (didn’t front load our efforts if you will). That meant regardless of how much he was “creative”, it was less likely to be effective.

hindy111

Post Whore

Weak not week....
Peanut

hindy111

Post Whore
I think one of our problems is that matto and hopgood pretty have the same attacking game ... you need someone on the field to play that but ptobably not both at the same time.

And to compound it, junior wants to play it too.

Much.... Pretty have makes no sense

Peanut

hindy111

Post Whore
I watched the 2001 Preliminary this week. We made 20+ errors. Unsure why I was so confident going into the grand final.
Footy was great to watch but defenses where garbage compared to now. So many easy missed tackles.