What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Good move by him and the club. He’s top 30 so we should immediately try and sign Trey Mooney to replace him and give him his spot.
Well you know that Ricky will want Ethan now. Are we prepared to leave our halves stocks thin again?

lucablight

First Grade
Would Reynolds look as good behind Souths' pack? Brisbane is superior across the park.
Yes. Souths starters are pretty good and comparable to Brisbane.
Having the likes of Arrow,Koloamatangi,Murray is nothing to sneeze at.
Brisbane are fine enough overall but the only forwards I’d classify as elite in their pack are Haas and Carrigan. I’d say the main place they shine is in the backs.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Well you know that Ricky will want Ethan now. Are we prepared to leave our halves stocks thin again?
Would be worth it for Trey Mooney to come home.
Only problem is that we are so forward heavy. He plays edge and middle so would be a great impact player of the bench.

Gronk

Staff member
Well of f**king course the Roosters have a backup billionaire.

AUSSIE BILLIONAIRE GIVES ROOSTERS THE FULL HOLLYWOOD TREATMENT

The Sydney Roosters are planning to travel to the plush Bel Air $53 million estate of billionaire Afterpay founder Nick Molnar as part of the club’s build-up to the NRL season-opening double-header in Las Vegas.

Molnar, 34, was named Australia’s youngest self-made billionaire in 2022 after creating the global Afterpay empire now worth $14.76 billion.

Molnar played SG Ball at the Roosters many years ago before attending Sydney University and will host the Sydney Roosters entire travelling party including all players, coaching staff, fellow self-made billionaire chairman Nick Politis and several board members.

It’s a nice touch from Molnar to roll out the red carpet and break-up the Roosters week-long training camp in Los Angeles prior to heading to the entertainment capital of the world Las Vegas to launch the new NRL season in the historic double-header.

LINK

King-Gutho94

Coach
Getting punched in the face inside the boxing ring doesn’t scare Parramatta enforcer Junior Paulo.

Whether it’s going toe-to-toe with Paul Gallen in the fight game or playing in the cauldron of State of Origin for NSW or a World Cup final for Samoa, Paulo has never been the type to sidestep the tough carry.

So is there something, a particular NRL opponent, anything at all that does make big Junior think twice?

“I’m not scared of jumping in the ring I’m just scared of telling my wife and my mum,” the Parramatta Eels co-captain says breaking into a big laugh.

“That rattles me.”

Big Junior will start this NRL season having stripped eight kilograms from his cannon-ball frame thanks to being one of the headline acts on the NRL’s Townsville fight night at the back end of last year.

Paulo only started boxing when he agreed to fight retired NSW and Australian enforcer Gallen back in 2016 and quickly gravitated towards the conditioning associated with the full-on training of getting in the ring.

Still tipping the scales at 117kg, Paulo had off season foot surgery after taking care of Ben Hannant inside the ring then set about ripping straight back into training with an eye on unfinished business in 2024.

There’s no way to sugar coat it the Eels were one of the biggest disappointments of last season off the back of making the grand final in 2022.

Paulo knows to kick start Parramatta’s season the Eels need to start fast and bank wins so they’re not chasing their tale in circles leading into September.

Paulo and co-captain Clint Gutherson are leading a player driven ethos at the Eels to try and take Parramatta to the next level as an NRL side.

One of the primary messages from the Eels leaders over the course of the summer has been “smarter choices” which is about doing all the little things right in terms of professionalism and preparation.

“It’s been a long pre-season but the way I’m looking at it is it’s a blessing in disguise,” Paulo said.

“We’ve been back at it for 14 weeks now as a result of finishing earlier than we wanted to last year.

“Everyone wants to be playing in September and October but it didn’t work out for us last year so we need to cop it on the chin and learn.

“The positive is we’ve had two really solid blocks of training either side of Christmas and we’ve had a full squad available for the majority of that time.

“This is the fittest our whole squad has been for a long time. Everyone knows how important this year is for us.

“There’s a good feel brewing around the club.”

The foot surgery Paulo had over the off season is normally a four to five month recovery which means the Eels skipper spent plenty of time in the rehab group with fellow co-captain Gutherson.

Both made a point to return to full training well ahead of schedule and aside from having a few beers on Australia Day have been diligent and disciplined.

The Eels co-captain’s will both travel to Ipswich this weekend for Sunday’s final hit out in the NRL pre-season challenge against the Gold Coast Titans.

Will big Junior have another fight at the end of this season?

Too early to call. First things first he’s focused on trying to get the Eels rolling towards ending a premiership drought stretching back to 1986.

Stevie

Bench
Boxing training is exactly what Paulo needed tbh. Keeps him motivated and fit. 8kg lighter is a great result. Expecting him to bounce back this year.
With a fit an firing one two RCG/Paulo punch we are a much better side.

Add to that potentially Greig stepping into a leading prop role we are in an enviable position should they all stay on the park and fit.

TheRam

Coach
I spoke to a trainer of another NRL club last week and he specifically brought up us retaining Moses, even though it dragged on a bit. He reckons it’s definitely the right move despite the wraps on Sanders as who knows what he turns out like. Said he thinks Mitch is currently the second best halfback in the comp. His words: there’s an absolute shortage of quality halfbacks in the comp, you have guys that would be reserve graders in days gone by playing at halfback for a lot of clubs.

I don't think anyone here ever suggested we keep Sanders over Moses. So what the Hell is everyone talking about? The conversations is more about if and when he goes(Sanders) which club would be best for us(Parra) to get him back from in a few years time if he were to turn out to be a decent half/playmaker?

That I think this is the best we can hope for from a Parra perspective.

My nominee is Canberra.

TheRam

Coach
I think Moses is the second best half back in the game at this point, the gap between him and Cleary is huge though. Until Moses can get that killer instinct in him he won’t ever come close really, I definitely could never see Moses doing what Cleary did in the Grand Final last year. That merkin just flipped switch in his head and refused to lose a game that already seemed lost.

The Broncos thought they had it won and eased off that tiny little bit. That allowed a player of the calibre of Cleary to come at them and it is near impossible to regain that kind of momentum when you have lost it. Especially when the panic sets in and the team coming at you is on the up and can smell it.

Hell we are Parra supporters, we have seen that type of swing against us all to often and it is probably our most miserable and familiar legacy since our 80's glory days.

Cleary is a great player, but at this stage I don't see that much between them other than Cleary playing for a much better consistently drilled and in particular defensively superior team. I wish we had the defensive capabilities of the Panthers. We would have won a premiership or two by now for sure. Instead we are a yoyo team that changes like Sydney weather from minute to minute. So freakin unpredictable. It is fu*king so frustrating and annoying to say the least. I would love for us to have a team that you just felt comfortable in the knowledge that they won't squander massive leads and can hold out teams when they are forced to defend for ten minutes without the ball and then when they finally get the momentum back they can nail the opposition to the wall. Wouldn't that be something?

Defence, defence, defence should be our motto this year or we will win nothing again this season.

TheRam

Coach
Isn’t Trey a lock/ middle? Where does he fit in our team?

Lock or Front row. I see him eventually being a better player that Offa. I would give him a saloon passage onto the bench and plenty of mins on the field. I don't think the Raiders have treated him well enough. This guy if he fulfills his potential is a player and a real leader.

These are the sorts of players you give special attention to to make sure you get it right and they reach the heights they are capable of if their heads and body are well tuned and on. Give him the LOVE!

I like the kid.

Gronk

Staff member
Yes. Lets face it without Moses we don't win anything anyway.
Well I wasn't talking about Moses being out for an extended period, but when we had to use Asi for more than one or two games last year, his inadequacies were exposed like a Portuguese chicken.

I just would not want to regret having to use Asi or Hands in that 6/7 fill in role and it cost us again IF Sanders can fill that role better.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well I wasn't talking about Moses being out for an extended period, but when we had to use Asi for more than one or two games last year, his inadequacies were exposed like a Portuguese chicken.

I just would not want to regret having to use Asi or Hands in that 6/7 fill in role and it cost us again IF Sanders can fill that role better.
Was Asi exposed that much last year to say he isn't a competent first grader. He can do a solid enough job if he is required. At least he looks dangerous and create scoring opportunities.

In 10 games he played we racked up 42 points in a half against the Dolphins, Won at Penrith, Beat Manly with Matto in the halves alongside him.

We won 5 and lost 4 when Asi was in the halves. That was a better win rate then the overall team last year.

emjaycee

Coach
Was Asi exposed that much last year to say he isn't a competent first grader. He can do a solid enough job if he is required. At least he looks dangerous and create scoring opportunities.

In 10 games he played we racked up 42 points in a half against the Dolphins, Won at Penrith, Beat Manly with Matto in the halves alongside him.

We won 5 and lost 4 when Asi was in the halves. That was a better win rate then the overall team last year.
Most if not all of the 4 we lost with Asi in the halves, we had no RCG.
He is our difference maker.