What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
I don't know what brilliant patches you have seen. Maybe I was flicking through the channels during those patches.

Against manly and cows, we had many many favourable decisions. Should not have won either of those games.

Tanking?? I'm sure they ain't doing it intentionally, but deep in their subconscious?????
I saw a team who really wanted to win vs Cows and Manly. I could see at the ground that their defence would rise and they all took it very personally.

Not buying even subconscious tanking.

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't know what brilliant patches you have seen. Maybe I was flicking through the channels during those patches.

Against manly and cows, we had many many favourable decisions. Should not have won either of those games.

Tanking?? I'm sure they ain't doing it intentionally, but deep in their subconscious?????
I thought we did well to weather the storm early in some games and then came back and totally dominated possession. That gave me hope. The only thing was we can camp ourselves in their 20 but cant score points. We rely on individual brilliance to score not set plays or decoys or strategy.

So all those who kept saying there's nothing wrong with our attack, that's BS for mine.

If we can keep up the pressure on top of score points, we wouldn't really be in this mess so bad

yy_cheng

Coach
I saw a team who really wanted to win vs Cows and Manly. I could see at the ground that their defence would rise and they all took it very personally.

Not buying even subconscious tanking.
I agree, we aren't tanking.

But we just don't have the fitness or speed to keep it up week in week out.

Hence our WLWLLWL ....

Gronk

Staff member
I agree, we aren't tanking.

But we just don't have the fitness or speed to keep it up week in week out.

Hence our WLWLLWL ....
I don't know. We used to be a team that could not win away. Then we fixed that. Now we have gone back to a team that can't string two in a row. Coaching, leadership, individual accountability ?

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't know. We used to be a team that could not win away. Then we fixed that. Now we have gone back to a team that can't string two in a row. Coaching, leadership, individual accountability ?
For mine, its motivation. Their headspace is wrong. I actually dont like it when after a loss, BA goes we tried hard and gave effort and Guth is like, that's footy. Pricey wouldn't take that shit.

Sometimes it seems to me, they seem like people who goto work just because they have to.

I don;t think the excitement of going to work or winning at all cost is there for alot of them.

emjaycee

Coach
For mine, its motivation. Their headspace is wrong. I actually dont like it when after a loss, BA goes we tried hard and gave effort and Guth is like, that's footy. Pricey wouldn't take that shit.

Sometimes it seems to me, they seem like people who goto work just because they have to.

I don;t think the excitement of going to work or winning at all cost is there for alot of them.
It is not Pricey's era anymore.
These days it is work and they go there because they have to - their full-time job is to train and prepare for that one game a week where they should be focussed on performing at their best. Think of a theatre actor who rehearses and rehearses in preparation for opening night. Ideally they don't fluff their lines but sometimes they do.

Unfortunately for a lot of us (and for Pricey) the game changed when it became more professional and players no longer needed a job to pay their rent. I hate the way they chat and joke around with their mates on the field after a loss - move that shit to the sheds so we the paying fans don't have to see it - but it is the way of lots of professional sport these days. Competitors on the field, mates off the field.

yy_cheng

Coach
It is not Pricey's era anymore.
These days it is work and they go there because they have to - their full-time job is to train and prepare for that one game a week where they should be focussed on performing at their best. Think of a theatre actor who rehearses and rehearses in preparation for opening night. Ideally they don't fluff their lines but sometimes they do.

Unfortunately for a lot of us (and for Pricey) the game changed when it became more professional and players no longer needed a job to pay their rent. I hate the way they chat and joke around with their mates on the field after a loss - move that shit to the sheds so we the paying fans don't have to see it - but it is the way of lots of professional sport these days. Competitors on the field, mates off the field.
Is that why BA says it's not his job to motivate them?

So it's like hiring mercenaries and just let them do their stuff.

I get you simile to being an actor. So it's heading towards like WWE. Where's it's more about entertainment than being a gladiatorial sport

I didn't know that and that's sad.

emjaycee

Coach
Is that why BA says it's not his job to motivate them?

So it's like hiring mercenaries and just let them do their stuff.

I get you simile to being an actor. So it's heading towards like WWE. Where's it's more about entertainment than being a gladiatorial sport

I didn't know that and that's sad.
Not quite WWE as hopefully the players are professional and self-motivated enough to always want to perform at their best... though it doesnt seem as though that is the case all the time.

84 Baby

Referee

100%
I don’t think anyone is actively against BA or club officials or even teammates but psychologically there appear to be things drawing some of their attention and detracting from their performance. Then it snowballs to making it less appealing to get off the ground after you’ve made a tackle.
It’s an individual effort to fix but it’s BA’s job to identify and encourage self correction. For what ever reasons, we’ve now reached the stage where BA has publicly called out the team for it (hopefully his messaging to individuals was more targetted). Without stark performance improvement, it'll obvious the individuals who were being referred to. And if there is no improvement or the lack of improvement is widespread then the person who it applies to is BA.
Unless he player meetings were vastly different to calling the whole team part timers then I think he’s done already. The type of team and work environment sports provides, there is no way where a manager calling out employees for lack of performance isn’t an indicator of poor management in some form.

And on this headspace issue, was anyone else pissed off by the Lane doco? And sort of highlights our enduring problems. I fully get our players more than any other club, feel the heat from us fans. Near 40 years of spoons, meh seasons or shitting the bed is tough to get over. But players need to invest (like Smugs/Souths) or be a f**king hell lot more professional (e.g. Scum/Rorts).
I backed their play to isolate themselves from fanbase, but that means your performance has less goodwill to maintain lean times.

I haven’t felt this poorly about our club even during the spoon/cap rorting years. Literally the people in the ENTIRE club (players, staff, ball boys) that hold even a sniff of untouchability at moment are Moses (benefit of being injured when team playing shit though perhaps?), RCG (reasonable excuse for being out of headspace) and the fans as we in my feeling seem the only people invested in the club.
People are talking about not going to games… in some aspects I actually think no one at the club will care.

yy_cheng

Coach
Without stark performance improvement, it'll obvious the individuals who were being referred to.
He said only a handful are putting in.

My guess
Putting in week in, week out
Guth, Russell, Bailey, Morgan, Will, Dyl, RCG, Lussick, Bryce, Hoppy, Moretti, Junz (except 1 game)

Not Putting in week in, week out

Matto, Lane, Sivo (demoted)

Neutral (haven't played enough games or I am sitting on the fence):
Talagi, Asi, Offa

The list is about putting in, not about their abilities. If it is their abilities, then it is the coach who is picking them. Maybe he really should start sacking some big names even though the ones replacing them might not be good enough but at least will make an effort.

Am I seeing it differently?

JokerEel

Coach

My guess
Guth, Russell, Bailey, Morgan, Will, Dyl, RCG, Lussick, Bryce, Hoppy, Moretti, Junz (except 1 game)

Talagi, Asi, Offa

The list is about putting in, not about their abilities. If it is their abilities, then it is the coach who is picking them. Maybe he really should start sacking some big names even though the ones replacing them might not be good enough but at least will make an effort.

Lussick is not putting in...

Same with Carry

Tiger5150

Bench

My guess

Talagi, Asi, Offa

you can put Offa in the "putting in week in and week out" column and nail his name there.

84 Baby

Referee

Same with Carry
Yep, Lussick lays around after he attempts a tackle. Carty has reverted to his old self trying to take shortcuts and hero plays.
I’m willing to give them opportunity to prove.
Lussick is poorer because he’s having to play 80. Hands missing out so that some of the absolute drudge our forwards have put up is criminal.
Carty unfortunately is reverting to old habits so it’s a big mark against him but his laziness is at least in trying to do more, just taking shortcuts.
But if they or most their teammates signed elsewhere today, I wouldn’t be at all concerned

Tiger5150

Bench
This. Some of our fans were berating his selection. They just don’t understand rugby league like you and me. And Pou, he also liked Ofahengaue

I wish we never got rid of Joffa, having said that I dont see where he fits into our current pack and I probably wouldnt pick him, but one thing you could never question with Joffa is whether he is putting in.

yy_cheng

Coach

Same with Carry
I thought Lussick puts in and tries but he's not skilled enough (everyone recognizes this) and he is not fit enough to always play well throughout the full 80 mins. That's on BA for picking him and not subbing him.

Carty has been v good I reckon except the last game.