What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soto

Bench
Look at Sharks or Knights also. Every other club tbh. Most have backs who come via the system.
Agree..
Hopefully we start to see some young guns come through.
We have done ok in the fwds and there are some earmarked to come through next year and the next few years.
However if you don't have good quality coming through you need to have good backups.
Thats why Bevan French would be a good addition.
I like what the Knights did in signing Tuala and Shibasaki...both had a taste of first grade and are decent up and comers. Now they are taking their opportunities.
Need to keep adding to your squad. Injuries, form and suspensions play a massive part.
There may be some very good players on the lookout.
Alex Johnson, DWZ, French.
Even Pangai Jnr. He needs a change of environment. Pangai and DWZ would also potentially be subsidised by their current clubs.
Notwithstanding next year Evans, Terepo, Gower, maybe Alvaro wont be with us surely that allows us to make a big play for Christian Welch.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dogs want DWZ gone. I'd snap him up.
Aslong as they chip in. We prob have our backline set for next year so perhaps not needed. But would be perfect for 2022.... Thou other options will come along.

hindy111

Post Whore
I am a fan of Kafusi. I see how good he is getting after limited minutes. Same goes for Stone.
I've explained before how forwards need 2 full years to get up to speed. These guys are going well for players who get limited minutes and barely played. They won't be complete untill 2022 season. But I can see rapid improvement by both in not much game time.
It would be nice if we can get a few games with big leads so they can get 50mins each. Just isn't much time left this season before finals. Might mean come finals both can not be relied on.
Unlike Nikauore who is now seasoned.
I'm guessing in about his 3rd year right?

Noise

Coach
Agree..
Hopefully we start to see some young guns come through.
We have done ok in the fwds and there are some earmarked to come through next year and the next few years.
However if you don't have good quality coming through you need to have good backups.
Thats why Bevan French would be a good addition.
I like what the Knights did in signing Tuala and Shibasaki...both had a taste of first grade and are decent up and comers. Now they are taking their opportunities.
Need to keep adding to your squad. Injuries, form and suspensions play a massive part.
There may be some very good players on the lookout.
Alex Johnson, DWZ, French.
Even Pangai Jnr. He needs a change of environment. Pangai and DWZ would also potentially be subsidised by their current clubs.
Notwithstanding next year Evans, Terepo, Gower, maybe Alvaro wont be with us surely that allows us to make a big play for Christian Welch.
Guys like Alex Johnston, Bevan French and DWZ are not going to be prepared to be backups and play the majority of the year in NSW cup. They also won't take backup players money. And Pangai Jr will want to start , play big minutes and get close to 700k a year (which is what the Broncos owe him next year and beyond).None of those players will get that at Parra.

strider

Post Whore
Guys like Alex Johnston, Bevan French and DWZ are not going to be prepared to be backups and play the majority of the year in NSW cup. They also won't take backup players money. And Pangai Jr will want to start , play big minutes and get close to 700k a year (which is what the Broncos owe him next year and beyond).None of those players will get that at Parra.
Sounds like Pangai wants 700k plus broncos dollars

Soto

Bench
Pangai is not a starter and subsidised salary if Broncos want him out or don't sack him...plus any of the others can be in the 17 until injury, suspension, form lapses..
Look at the Roosters...signed the Morris bros but had wingers in Hall and Tupou.
Centres in Manu and Billy Smith from all reports was to be the left centre before getting ACL.
Its about opportunity and ALSO playing with a club who will seriously be challenging for the title as opposed to going to a cellar dwellar and hating the decision of losing almost every week..
I'd offer Alex Johnston good money. DWZ would be subsidised anyway. French wouldn't break the bank.
Its ok to have differing opinions..

Eelementary

Post Whore
I am a fan of Kafusi. I see how good he is getting after limited minutes. Same goes for Stone.
I've explained before how forwards need 2 full years to get up to speed. These guys are going well for players who get limited minutes and barely played. They won't be complete untill 2022 season. But I can see rapid improvement by both in not much game time.
It would be nice if we can get a few games with big leads so they can get 50mins each. Just isn't much time left this season before finals. Might mean come finals both can not be relied on.
Unlike Nikauore who is now seasoned.
I'm guessing in about his 3rd year right?

Correct, mate - Niukore made his First Grade debut in 2018.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Dogs want DWZ gone. I'd snap him up.
Aslong as they chip in. We prob have our backline set for next year so perhaps not needed. But would be perfect for 2022.... Thou other options will come along.

If he's under contract for 2021 or 2022, and they want to flick him, I'd ask about him.

Signing players who are signed elsewhere is a great way to get value - it worked wonders for us with RCG, and (to a lesser extent) Waqa Blake.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's embarrasing a club our size can't bring a back in the side of any quality atleast every 2 or 3 yrs.

In last 12yrs

Ryan Morgan,K.Sio, Cheyse Blair,VaiToutai,Wiliame, SEMI, Farimo,Falou, French,Davis, Parry.....

So a heap of NSW cup quality back ups. And a superstar.... Take out Semi and that list is embarrasing. Not one guy capable of 10yrs in the NRL. A few back up level players at best.

I think you're being harsh on Ryan Morgan, and Ken Sio; I think both were very solid, above average First Graders, who don't cost much, but add value.

The rest (except Semi) were average, or below average.

Noise

Coach
Pangai is not a starter and subsidised salary if Broncos want him out or don't sack him...plus any of the others can be in the 17 until injury, suspension, form lapses..
Look at the Roosters...signed the Morris bros but had wingers in Hall and Tupou.
Centres in Manu and Billy Smith from all reports was to be the left centre before getting ACL.
Its about opportunity and ALSO playing with a club who will seriously be challenging for the title as opposed to going to a cellar dwellar and hating the decision of losing almost every week..
I'd offer Alex Johnston good money. DWZ would be subsidised anyway. French wouldn't break the bank.
Its ok to have differing opinions..
Pangai has started every game he's played this year.

And those other players AJ, DWZ and French won't want to be sitting in reserve grade no matter how we are going. There is no way AJ, DWZ and French are getting spots over Gutho, Blake, Jennings, Sivo or Fergo. They won't be prepared to play reserve grade and hope for an injury, especially when they could be playing first grade on a weekly basis at another club.

As for your Roosters comparison, Billy Smith and Ryan Hall have never been regular first graders in the NRL and the Morris twins were told they would be first choice in their positions and be playing first grade. That's why they came to the Roosters, so they could both be playing first grade together.

Soto

Bench

And those other players AJ, DWZ and French won't want to be sitting in reserve grade no matter how we are going. There is no way AJ, DWZ and French are getting spots over Gutho, Blake, Jennings, Sivo or Fergo. They won't be prepared to play reserve grade and hope for an injury, especially when they could be playing first grade on a weekly basis at another club.

As for your Roosters comparison, Billy Smith and Ryan Hall have never been regular first graders in the NRL and the Morris twins were told they would be first choice in their positions and be playing first grade. That's why they came to the Roosters, so they could both be playing first grade together.
I beg to differ about the Morris bros. Ryan Hall was signed as Fergos replacement and an England and GB international. He wasn't coming to play reggies but did his ACL..I think one or both Morris's mentioned they didn't know they would be in the starting line up..they took the chance. Sick of playing at the shit Dogs..
And i never said the blokes i mentioned would get ahead of the current mob. However anyone who thinks a team can maintain their best starting lineup for the year is delusional.
If we were to get any of those backs they could be a 14 until curcumstances mean they can get a starting spot.
Pangai would be great to have off the bench as i think he is good for 30 or so mins. Doesn't have the temperament to go 70 or 80.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think you're being harsh on Ryan Morgan, and Ken Sio; I think both were very solid, above average First Graders, who don't cost much, but add value.

The rest (except Semi) were average, or below average.

Ryan Morgan was a below average first grader as was Sio. At peak they reached Average first grade level.
Above average first graders last 10 seasons. Like Kyle Feldt and will always have a contract through career. Average first graders I'd say are guys like Tim Lafai who get 10yrs in the NRL but bit of journeymen. But always a club willing to take them....

Noise

Coach
I beg to differ about the Morris bros. Ryan Hall was signed as Fergos replacement and an England and GB international. He wasn't coming to play reggies but did his ACL..I think one or both Morris's mentioned they didn't know they would be in the starting line up..they took the chance. Sick of playing at the shit Dogs..
And i never said the blokes i mentioned would get ahead of the current mob. However anyone who thinks a team can maintain their best starting lineup for the year is delusional.
If we were to get any of those backs they could be a 14 until curcumstances mean they can get a starting spot.
Pangai would be great to have off the bench as i think he is good for 30 or so mins. Doesn't have the temperament to go 70 or 80.
Has BA ever carried a pure outside back on the bench? He has put Taka there a few times but he is a genuine utility and can play anywhere but the front row...even then he hasn't got many minutes. I'm telling you, no genuine first grader will be happy being a backup. It won;t happen.

And Ryan Hall has only played 11 games in almost 2 seasons. He is the backup.

hindy111

Post Whore

I'd swap DWZ for SIVO in a heartbeat. Even would consider Fergo for him if could move him on. One is in peak and other is at end.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ryan Morgan was a below average first grader as was Sio. At peak they reached Average first grade level.
Above average first graders last 10 seasons. Like Kyle Feldt and will always have a contract through career. Average first graders I'd say are guys like Tim Lafai who get 10yrs in the NRL but bit of journeymen. But always a club willing to take them....

Fair enough.

I disagree.

Soto

Bench
Has BA ever carried a pure outside back on the bench? He has put Taka there a few times but he is a genuine utility and can play anywhere but the front row...even then he hasn't got many minutes. I'm telling you, no genuine first grader will be happy being a backup. It won;t happen.

And Ryan Hall has only played 11 games in almost 2 seasons. He is the backup.
Doesn't mean he shouldn't.
Souths were doing at the start of the year and worked well with Johnston a few times...plus having someone with speed and agility in the last 10 or so running at tired defensive lines is surely a bonus..
Ryan was recovering from an ACL when he arrived hence the 11 games plus Morris has grabbed his opportunity

Noise

Coach
Doesn't mean he shouldn't.
Souths were doing at the start of the year and worked well with Johnston a few times...plus having someone with speed and agility in the last 10 or so running at tired defensive lines is surely a bonus..
Ryan was recovering from an ACL when he arrived hence the 11 games plus Morris has grabbed his opportunity
Well if Gutho gets as fat and unfit as Latrell then maybe a backup fullback might come in handy...but seeing as though Gutho is the fittest guy in the comp that is unlikely to happen.

Latest posts