What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Pazza

First Grade
If we lose D Brown or Moses for season 2024 we move Gutherson to the halves and find a gun fullback. Someone like Papenhuyzen or you recruit a player like Scott Drinkwater and bring his coach with him.

Ethan sanders? Sounds like he's going to be playing nsw cup next year

hindy111

Post Whore
Dunster was making decent metres because he changed his running style and was less upright. He could do a decent job for us. Sean Russell could do the same. The reason why Blake and Simonsson get driven back and to a lesser extent Sivo is because they run too upright.

It’s not always just about power, it’s about coaching and line speed and making the opposition play under fatigue. When that happens even Luke Burt made metres.

Dunster Falls into the Simmonson/Opacic/Waqa category. Waqa probably is the best of them if at centre cause he can beat a man one on one.
No idea where Russels talent stack up as haven't seen enough off him. I've just heard club doesn't rate anything that's in pipeline untill 2024/2025 so makes me wonder if Russel is just seen as another in the same category as these guys.

Soto

Bench
Dunster Falls into the Simmonson/Opacic/Waqa category. Waqa probably is the best of them if at centre cause he can beat a man one on one.
No idea where Russels talent stack up as haven't seen enough off him. I've just heard club doesn't rate anything that's in pipeline untill 2024/2025 so makes me wonder if Russel is just seen as another in the same category as these guys.
Not a glowing endorsement for our current crop.
If that's the case go and sign 3 or 4 outside backs.
I'm sure we could get some quality from nsw cup, qld cup and fringe first graders and young blokes who have played first grade.

hindy111

Post Whore
Not a glowing endorsement for our current crop.
If that's the case go and sign 3 or 4 outside backs.
I'm sure we could get some quality from nsw cup, qld cup and fringe first graders and young blokes who have played first grade.

I was just told by someone part of coaching staff nothing good will be ready in lower frames for 2-3yrs. So unless they feel Russel need another full season in NSW CUP or he is just average I don't know.
The way I took it is there are some promising kids in 20's or still eligible for 20s and playing up a grade like Mataele who probably isn't ready till 2024/2025

Avenger

Immortal
There are always players that many don’t rate that come out of nowhere and become something. Mahoney is a prime example. He came on a train and trial contract after being cut by the Dogs and leap frogged Kyle Schneider who was our most promising number 9 for several years.

Papali’i is another as is Lane and Nathan Brown. Sivo too. None of them were our juniors.

This is one of Arthur’s strengths as a coach. It’s very Melbourne like where he has a knack of spotting diamonds in the rough and making them into competent NRL first graders.

Hopgood, Murchie and hopefully Xerri in 2024 will be players that will become regular first graders and possibly even Origin players.

Avenger

Immortal
Tapau would be a great signing for a year with an option for another. Then we are set in the forwards. We just need another outside back or two. I wouldn’t be paying anymore than $250k unless we can offload Blake who is now entrenched in the Shit list. 💩

I see 2023 being a year where we compete for a spot in the lower half of the 8 before we go major into the playing market in season 2024.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Why wasn't more time given to Greig, Ogden and Rodwell. You can't say Makatoa was killing it.
Do you think that Emu and Ogden deserved more first grade ? Very disappointed in Emu TBH. From what I saw of him in reggies, he doesn’t have a very big motor. Gets gassed too easy.

I reckon Rodwell will take over Marata’s role in 2023. Just not the centres bit.

Soto

Bench
Tapau would be a great signing for a year with an option for another. Then we are set in the forwards. We just need another outside back or two. I wouldn’t be paying anymore than $250k unless we can offload Blake who is now entrenched in the Shit list. 💩

I see 2023 being a
year where we compete for a spot in the lower half of the 8 before we go major into the playing market in season 2024.
I reckon we finish top 4 next year. Only 2 starters have left. Mahoney and Papalii
Essentially the core of the team is there.
Hodgson Is a plus.
Murchie and Hopgood are excellent additions.
With the support coming from Rodwell who I rate, Ogden, Wiremu and to a lesser extent Makatoa, Mataele and El Zakheim we do have decent depth.
I'd like to see 2 or 3 outside backs signed.
I know we were linked to Jaxson Paulo at one stage. Definitely a better centre than winger.
I really don't believe the premiership window is closed

Soto

Bench
Do you think that Emu and Ogden deserved more first grade ? Very disappointed in Emu TBH. From what I saw of him in reggies, he doesn’t have a very big motor. Gets gassed too easy.

I reckon Rodwell will take over Marata’s role in 2023. Just not the centres bit.
Ogden, Rodwell and Greig formed a good 8, 10 and 13 in nsw cup. Very hard to see how they stack up in 1st grade if they only get 3-7 mins.
However I think they are offer better punch and overall ability than Makatoa

Gronk

Staff member
There are always players that many don’t rate that come out of nowhere and become something. Mahoney is a prime example. He came on a train and trial contract after being cut by the Dogs and leap frogged Kyle Schneider who was our most promising number 9 for several years.

Papali’i is another as is Lane and Nathan Brown. Sivo too. None of them were our juniors.

This is one of Arthur’s strengths as a coach. It’s very Melbourne like where he has a knack of spotting diamonds in the rough and making them into competent NRL first graders.

Hopgood, Murchie and hopefully Xerri in 2024 will be players that will become regular first graders and possibly even Origin players.
I’d love to know from the inner sanctum what their hooker plans are. Clearly they hope that Hodgeson can do the job, but what is our succession plan ? Is it Hands, Yates or Niutili-Schmidt ? Or are they on the lookout for a premium rake like that is already playing FG or is maybe in reggies behind a good hooker ?

Please don’t you merkins troll me with Matt Arthur jokes.

Latest posts