What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
$120K is not bad for a 20 hour week considering what most of us get paid assuming we have a 9 till 5 job. The average Aussie wage is about $92K but I don't know anyone who gets paid that on a wage.

The average Australian wage statistic is very misleading, as average statistics tend to be, given how they're calculated.

The median Australian wage is much more accurate - according to the ABS (https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/l...mployment, Australia,since August 2021 (4.2%).), the median Australian wage is $52,338.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, but equally it's plenty of other companies making windfall profits that are driving that, so there is that.
That's not much help to the employers who've found themselves in the 'wrong' industries in this brave new world. If you're a redistribute-the-wealth-er why would you want entertainment industry corporations spending more on their highest paid employees when they could be spending it just about anywhere else?

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't believe non top 17 players are. Then there's also the negotiations of medical retirement funds, money for grassroots, CBA for the women's game. As Capewell said today the salary cap is fine but there's other T&C that the 2 parties haven't agreed upon. The salary cap was announced to paint the players as being greedy.

Agree. They where down to like 85k last year I think. It should be set as 150k as MIN.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

hindy111

Post Whore
$120K is not bad for a 20 hour week considering what most of us get paid assuming we have a 9 till 5 job. The average Aussie wage is about $92K but I don't know anyone who gets paid that on a wage.

Hmm. They end up with injuries that last forever but. I mean even if don't get injured they bash the shit out of themself.
End up with arthritis and those type of niggles

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's not much help to the employers who've found themselves in the 'wrong' industries in this brave new world. If you're a redistribute-the-wealth-er why would you want entertainment industry corporations spending more on their highest paid employees when they could be spending it just about anywhere else?

No it isn't, but hey, that's how capitalism works sometimes.

hindy111

Post Whore

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
52 grand? I don't think hats the average. It would be more like 80k
The mean is $92k (if everyone tipped their salaries in a bucket and then took out an equal share) but the median is $52k, which is the mid point between the the highest paid 50% and the lowest paid 50%

NRL salaries would show a similar distribution of mean:median. So where the mean salary under a cap of $12M is $400k, the median would be less. Maybe less than $250k.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Obviously. Capitalists take risks that benefit the rest of us, whether they succeed or fail.

What's your point?

That it isn't ( at least to date ) employee compensation that's driving those increased costs, as it's been for the most part "profiteering" that's driving that.

If one was an interventionist with a bent for wealth re-distribution, it wouldn't be NRL players salaries one would worry about.

hindy111

Post Whore
The mean is $92k (if everyone tipped their salaries in a bucket and then took out an equal share) but the median is $52k, which is the mid point between the the highest paid 50% and the lowest paid 50%

NRL salaries would show a similar distribution of mean:median. So where the mean salary under a cap of $12M is $400k, the median would be less. Maybe less than $250k.

That isn't much for family to survive

hindy111

Post Whore
FFS statistics is not your forte.

Pou is using casual wages to get his figure and apprentice wage.
I mean the lowest paid adult is about $24hr. You times that by 38 and then by 52 weeks. You end up with almost 48k.

Majority of people are getting a lot more then $24hr. Not including people on big salaries. Id say most unskilled workers would get closer to $30 and skilled would start at min $40
Most around $50 I would say around $38-$40hr would be average

Noise

Coach
Pou is using casual wages to get his figure and apprentice wagea
Apprentice wages are comparable in this discussion because development contracts would be the equivalent in rugby league terms. And a development contract is much higher than an apprentice wage.

hindy111

Post Whore
Apprentice wages are comparable in this discussion because development contracts would be the equivalent in rugby league terms. And a development contract is much higher than an apprentice wage.

Not really. Doing an apprenticeship is in your control. A development contract doesn't mean your guaranteed a job

Cloeel

Juniors
It's a bit more than a 20 hour week when you consider all the things they have to do when not actively working in order to be able to perform. And the risk of injury is far greater than almost any other job paying similarly. I wouldn't be saying those on minimum wage are getting a great deal.

Yes but where is the accountability on the player?

They choose to make this there career - should it not be the responsibility of the player and his "advisers" to understand the potential risks involved? and make an assessment based on their lifestyle, current circumstances and goals for the future?

Latest posts