What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Matto came out a week after we lost the GF and explained why he took the suspension.

That was plenty of time to reflect and realise what selfish decision it was.

Anyone with half a brain would have realised what punishment to accept the moment it got handed out.
If you pay the money it rewards the NRL. If you don’t it doesn’t.

lucablight

First Grade
It is not about how good Moses is in comparison to what we have produced in 30 odd years. It is about what we require in a number 7 for years to come and at what cost.

What does Moses provide to our side that entitles him to top dollar? which means we need to potentially weaken other areas of the squad.

If you focus completely on how good Moses is and how he is one of the best 7s we have had in 30 odd years we will inevitably over pay for him. We need to be rational about these decisions and do what is for the good of the team holistically.

Your above reasoning is fuelled by emotion. Which should not be a consideration when negotiating any deal.
Would we be a better team with Moses and weaker in other areas or without him whilst being stronger in other areas? Good halfbacks are at a premium so I would say the former. The Storm used this model for years. I can’t remember the last time a side won the competition without at least one elite half.

lucablight

First Grade
No it didn't. The alternative was letting the Tigers dictate our counteroffer. That would've been f**king stupid. Losing players is an easy problem to fix. Overpaying them is much more likely to cause other problems.
Demonstrably false since we tried to re-sign him. The club obviously changed its mind after the fact but it was too late.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Demonstrably false since we tried to re-sign him. The club obviously changed its mind after the fact but it was too late.
Did we change our minds? We might've decided he was worth more after an extra year of performance under his belt, but when he signed with the Tigers he was still in flash-in-the-pan territory (and he knew it). Like Fifita's first year with the Titans.

Last edited:

lucablight

First Grade
Did we change our minds? We might've decided he was worth more after an extra year of performance under his belt, but when he signed with the Tigers he was still in flash-in-the-pan territory (and he knew it). Like Fifita's first year with the Titans.
Right. So the plan backfired because we misjudged the value of a player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Right. So the plan backfired because we misjudged the value of a player.
It's not about the value of one player, it's about the value of every player in your squad. You're better off letting ten talented youngsters go than overpaying for all ten of them. Because the ones you let go you can replace with the leftover cap space. The ones you overpay are stuck on your books, and that squeezes out other players that have reached their potential. We didn't make the grand final last year because of Papali'i, we made it because we had a bunch of players like him worth double what they were getting paid. Hopefully we have another bunch like that this year.

Did Penrith suffer last year because they misjudged the value of Burton?

lucablight

First Grade
It's not about the value of one player, it's about the value of every player in your squad. You're better off letting ten talented youngsters go than overpaying for all ten of them. Because the ones you let go you can replace with the leftover cap space. The ones you overpay are stuck on your books, and that squeezes out other players that have reached their potential. We didn't make the grand final last year because of Papali'i, we made it because we had a bunch of players like him worth double what they were getting paid. Hopefully we have another bunch like that this year.

Did Penrith suffer last year because they misjudged the value of Burton?
If he wasn’t value then we wouldn’t have tried to re-sign him. I would say the club has done a fair job at retaining players but that’s one they misjudged. I would say if we didn’t have Papali’i last season then we don’t make the grand final. With the quality of our bench that’s one player that would have come in handy this season. Here’s hoping the likes of Hopgood and Murchie turn out to above average players or we could be in trouble. Burton was surplus to needs because they have Luai and Cleary in the halves. Papali’i wasn’t surplus to needs. It was an error in judgment. Here’s hoping we get lucky and we can overcome it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If he wasn’t value then we wouldn’t have tried to re-sign him.
We didn't try to re-sign him until he had shown two full seasons of quality. That's twice as many seasons as it took to convince the Tigers to throw big money at him. He could just as easily have turned out another David Fifita. We're better off leaving those risks to the Tigers. Over the long run you'll lose more than you'll win. Which they do.
I would say the club has done a fair job at retaining players but that’s one they misjudged. I would say if we didn’t have Papali’i last season then we don’t make the grand final.
Without him we might not have lost it. He missed a hundred tackles ffs
With the quality of our bench that’s one player that would have come in handy this season. Here’s hoping the likes of Hopgood and Murchie turn out to above average players or we could be in trouble. Burton was surplus to needs because they have Luai and Cleary in the halves.
Burton can play centre.
Papali’i wasn’t surplus to needs.
He was because we already have forwards who can run the ball. Without Papali'i we could've just given more ball to them. His strength is his attack so that's how we used him. What let us down last year was our defence.
It was an error in judgment.
It was an outlier in our very successful recruitment/retention strategy, and you are fixated on the single negative rather than looking at the overall success of the strategy.
Here’s hoping we get lucky and we can overcome it.
We already got 'lucky' when we got so much footy out of him for so little cap space. Like you I hope we can be 'lucky' in future. I reckon we will.

Last edited:
If he wasn’t value then we wouldn’t have tried to re-sign him. I would say the club has done a fair job at retaining players but that’s one they misjudged. I would say if we didn’t have Papali’i last season then we don’t make the grand final. With the quality of our bench that’s one player that would have come in handy this season. Here’s hoping the likes of Hopgood and Murchie turn out to above average players or we could be in trouble. Burton was surplus to needs because they have Luai and Cleary in the halves. Papali’i wasn’t surplus to needs. It was an error in judgment. Here’s hoping we get lucky and we can overcome it.

It’s too early in the season to be engaging with @Poupou Escobar. Don’t bother trying to reason with that moron. He‘ll twist your words, spin it and then you will find yourself talking about different random topics. It’s death by a thousand posts.

hindy111

Post Whore
We f**ked up with Ice plan and simple, no matter which way the lord of darkness tries to spin it.

We had to wrap him up after first 5 games. I called his debut as the best I've seen from an Eel. Right then he needed to be upgraded and extended before he broke out.

Once he did and cost 550k I don't think we lost out a whole lot. I reckon we could of had him for 350-400k however if went early.

Pazza

First Grade
We prob stuff up by trying to give low ball offers to reed, marata and ice instead of picking one and securing that signature.

Latest posts