What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
I am not sure, but I think the NRL actually pays each club for the amount spent on player contracts. Therefore I don't think PLC and PNRL revenue during and post-Covid would have had a bearing on how we managed the cap.

But then again, maybe some know more than me on this matter.
That’s correct. The NRL grant funds the salary cap for each team.

emjaycee

Coach
That’s correct. The NRL grant funds the salary cap for each team.
Thanks.
I thought that was how it worked so am not sure why someone would claim that lack of spending since Covid is proven by our bad cap management and the signing of lengthy contracts. I can't see how they correlate.

Might still be me missing something obvious though.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Not just the cap but 30% or more on top . To the people saying winning isn’t the primary goal of a sports team have a look at broncos numbers from the spoon year to last year ! Success on the field will bring success off it

Delboy

First Grade
Thanks.
I thought that was how it worked so am not sure why someone would claim that lack of spending since Covid is proven by our bad cap management and the signing of lengthy contracts. I can't see how they correlate.

Might still be me missing something obvious though.
My point was nothing to do with lack of spending , more the manner in which it was allocated , thought that was plain.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Think it proves that the cap was poorly managed and too many options and lengthy contracts given impacted the ability to contend after 2022.
Consider that the cost of having a highly competitive squad was the player options, back ended contracts and one-year-too-long given to senior players. Without all that stuff we probably wouldn’t have been able to assemble the squad that played in so many finals between 2019 and 2022. Instead we’d only have an average squad (by definition) under the cap every single year.
The failure to sign adequate replacements for the 6/7 players that moved on just shows how badly the cap was applied. Signing journeymen and expecting too much else was stupid, must better to have signed 2/3 NRL players and bring youth through, that’s what clubs with good football managers have done, we don’t.
The same football manager was part of assembling the squad you’re now complaining we couldn’t keep. Try and think how we managed to bring that squad together for that limited period and why we couldn’t keep it. Your complaints assume MON was good up until 2022 and has been garbage ever since. It makes zero sense. More likely is that salary cap and contract decisions built a window with the costs pushed to a later date (i.e. now). A good example is the player options. These are worth money, in the sense that they can be sold to players in exchange for reduced salary demands. But where salaries count under the salary cap, player options do not.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not all all - to support the claim/inference we were impacted comparative to other clubs.
No, this is your claim. It is unrelated to my point that our risk averse board reduced spending in response to Covid rather than just inherently being tight arses. The comparison is their actions before, during and after Covid. Comparisons with other clubs are a fantasy you’ve decided to bring into the conversation.

Again, if you’re going to push your agenda you need to keep it relevant and at least make an attempt to support it with evidence. You are the one making the claim about other clubs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I am not sure, but I think the NRL actually pays each club for the amount spent on player contracts. Therefore I don't think PLC and PNRL revenue during and post-Covid would have had a bearing on how we managed the cap.

But then again, maybe some know more than me on this matter.
Agreed. Discrepancies in spending, either between clubs or between different years at a single club, reflect peripheral areas such as staff (only subject to a soft cap), facilities, and junior recruitment/retention. A club with staff who are better at evaluating how much an 18 year old will be worth in two/three/four years will be less likely to overpay him, maximising salary cap efficiency. This is why these employees are in such high demand, and therefore so expensive.

emjaycee

Coach
No I just need to provide proof that it impacted us negatively, which I did. The point being discussed was about why the club has been reluctant to spend more money. Whatever you want the discussion to be about, involving other clubs, is your agenda to push. Rather than complaining that evidence provided by others doesn’t support your shit agenda, I suggest you get to work pushing.
^^ This was the post that you responded to below.
Think it proves that the cap was poorly managed and too many options and lengthy contracts given impacted the ability to contend after 2022. The failure to sign adequate replacements for the 6/7 players that moved on just shows how badly the cap was applied. Signing journeymen and expecting too much else was stupid, must better to have signed 2/3 NRL players and bring youth through, that’s what clubs with good football managers have done, we don’t.
^^ This is the post I was referring to when I asked about Cap reimbursement from the NRL.
My point was nothing to do with lack of spending , more the manner in which it was allocated , thought that was plain.
I think I must have just been confused.
Sorry.

hindy111

Post Whore
Think it proves that the cap was poorly managed and too many options and lengthy contracts given impacted the ability to contend after 2022. The failure to sign adequate replacements for the 6/7 players that moved on just shows how badly the cap was applied. Signing journeymen and expecting too much else was stupid, must better to have signed 2/3 NRL players and bring youth through, that’s what clubs with good football managers have done, we don’t.

This 100%

Happy MEel

First Grade
I have no idea what you are like in real life, but if it is anything like this troll character you inhabit online, you would have to be the worst person who ever lived.
I might chime in here. I met Pou at a game earlier in the year and he was a good fella. I certainly don’t agree with everything he says on here but he was good to have a beer with.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The first 2 hours was spent trying to locate a HDMI cable so the applicant could present his presentation on the projector... Jimmy S ducked out to Officeworks and got one eventually.....

The reason is took 2.5 hours is that Jimmy did, indeed, go to Officeworks - he went to Bentleigh, East Melbourne's head office.

He was halfway down Parramatta Road, before he realised there was an Officeworks down the road from the club...

Latest posts