What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Mate you seriously have NFI if you think Arthur didn't stink this joint up and had left us so fkd. He is the same bloke who presided over this team for 11 yrs and the defence has been horrid for most of it.
Just to introduce a few hard facts to the debate, these are our defensive rankings (out of 16 teams) since BA's first full season in charge:

13th, 12th, 2nd, 7th, 13th, 7th, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 11th.

Not world beating, but not exactly 'horrid for most of it'. Just bone average across the period. A lack of difference in attack has been a more persistent problem IMHO.

JokerEel

Coach
Just to introduce a few hard facts to the debate, these are our defensive rankings (out of 16 teams) since BA's first full season in charge:

Not world beating, but not exactly 'horrid for most of it'. Just bone average across the period. A lack of difference in attack has been a more persistent problem IMHO.

As the smart people say you need to be one of the best defensive teams to win the competition.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I told you problem 2yrs ago.We had to let it blow up in 2023. 2022 was our final year with this side for a window
Signing Lane,Matto,Jnr,Guth on long deals and letting youg kids like Mooney, Stefano,Hughes,Papali'i, Marata, Reed go instead.
Anyhows bow we suffer from BAs recruits. Let's not pretend he didn't want these guys. That's denial and complete bullshit.

Now we pay the price
Yeah we should’ve signed the Bromwich brothers and Kaufusi. If they’re not too old, our merkins certainly aren’t. Wayne Bennett wanted Junior Paulo when he was helping build the Dolphins squad ffs. But coaches don’t get the exact team they want or we would’ve kept the 2022 side together.

If they’re so bad why do the Storm have them?

I suspect it's that they manage them from a portfolio perspective a lot more cleverly than we have (i.e. consider how many options are exercisable in each year, how many contracts end in each year, understand their future exposures). The guys who ran the club straight after the salary cap kerfuffle did the basics very well. The wheels have fallen off a bit since then.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well i know at Parramatta if your manager asks nicely you get a PO included in the deal that can give you an exit strategy if things ain't going so good at that particular time.

Ryda Talagi supposedly has a PO at 16 years age so its pretty easy where you can get out of a contract if your manager is clever.
They don’t get out of the contract. The PO is for an extra year, not one year less.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Stefano has walked out on the tigers who were offering him close to 900k a season.

I think we can no longer fret about losing him 4 years ago.

The blokes an overrated mercenary who Freddy had a hard-on for and gave him an origin game then dumped him for a dead rubber.
We should never fret about losing any player. We don’t know how much rival clubs are offering.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Guymer staying.

I'm not sure he had a choice anyway.

Contracted till end 2026, if he kicked up a stink he would only be hurting himself. Refusing to play for Parra would see him out of any future contract anyway... in 2026 nobody is going to remember a good game he had back in 2024 (before sitting out 2 years)

Soto

Bench

40% of the tenure finished 11th best defensive team or lower...pretty putrid but facts do help validate how poor overall the defensive record was.
Only 10% top 2 and 30% top 4 where you need to be to challenge for a title.
He needed to go and the less we're reminded of him the better.
His saltiness has now festered to playing personnel.
A real blight on the club...
Good riddance....fraud

Pazza

First Grade
That’s because nobody knew what he was worth. I’d say the likes of Dylan Brown offer fairly predictable value.

Moses didn't re sign till late march 2023 after coming off contract on Nov 1 2022. All though mitch didn't have a PO he still took his time. No guarantees that a deal will be struck quick.

The PO allows to player to take their time and explore all options. We cant use that money to participate in the market until they reject the PO.

There is a reason lomax doesn't have any options in his contract and I'm willing to bet the eels won't be putting anymore in players contracts moving forward.

Stevie

Bench
I know it’s probably too early, and maybe there is some gardening leave stopping this.

But if I’m a successful club, I’d be reaching out to a Matty Johns to organise a very fluffy, very coach friendly interview they could use to settle the fans. I can tell you as a fan I can’t remember feeling more deflated and I feel like I really need some positivity.

It would be a really smart move by the club to get his brand, his influence and his personality out there.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Has Charlie even played a season in Cup yet and he wants a payrise ffs ?

I find the "BA Clause" hard to swallow. Suck it up son and earn it.