What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
Sure
I always use a thin oil for lubricant on my spinner. I much prefer early mornings. And always wash my rod down in soapy water once finished.
I have 3 phase power and I have 10Kw solar across the 3 phases. I believe it has to be evenly split across the phase.

1 phase, the voltage gets high. sometime 255+V which then shuts the whole solar down until the voltage goes down.
This could be because the whole street has wired Solar on that phase and energy wholesaler is not managing the voltages effectively.

Another way to bring the voltage down is to use the power on that phase... say I put in a Heatpump hot water system and have it wired onto that phase with the high voltage.

But does that mean the Heatpump can only draw a max of 3.33 Kw/h from my Solar and not be able to make use of the other phases?

hindy111

Post Whore
I have 3 phase power and I have 10Kw solar across the 3 phases. I believe it has to be evenly split across the phase.

1 phase, the voltage gets high. sometime 255+V which then shuts the whole solar down until the voltage goes down.
This could be because the whole street has wired Solar on that phase and energy wholesaler is not managing the voltages effectively.

Another way to bring the voltage down is to use the power on that phase... say I put in a Heatpump hot water system and have it wired onto that phase with the high voltage.

But does that mean the Heatpump can only draw a max of 3.33 Kw/h from my Solar and not be able to make use of the other phases?

I'm not an expert on this but why would it bring the voltage down. I'd imagine voltage always remains the same to whats beeing fed from street. If you have 238V or 245V plugging stuff in doesn't change it. It's coming off the grid. Unsure why one phase is going up and others aren't.
I'm not a level 2 and never really done this sort of works so I'm just guessing.
Sorry

Eelogical

Referee
I'm not an expert on this but why would it bring the voltage down. I'd imagine voltage always remains the same to whats beeing fed from street. If you have 238V or 245V plugging stuff in doesn't change it. It's coming off the grid. Unsure why one phase is going up and others aren't.
I'm not a level 2 and never really done this sort of works so I'm just guessing.
Sorry
How much voltage does an electric eel give off? You're a sparky, you should know these things.

yy_cheng

Coach
Sorry
That's what the solar company told me.

Thanks anyway.

I was thinking about it just then and I think Net Metering solves this.

Even if my solar is generating say 2Kw/h per phase. Total 6kw/h.

And a Heatpump is drawing say 4 kw/h and it is only attached to Phase 1. Essentially, on Phase 1 it is taking 2kW/h from my Solar and 2kW/h from the grid.

But because the other 2 phases, assuming nothing else is drawing any power of note, is generating 2kw/h each and sending it to the grid, my Net is 6-4 = 2 kw/h so the electricity company is netting it off and saying I am selling 2kw/h to them.

I think that's the answer.