What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

oldmancraigy

Coach
Even Wayne Bennett’s been sacked. It doesn’t mean he can’t coach.

Very true. I suppose that does put a question mark on Antonelli - that he hasn't been fired doesn't imply he CAN coach either. And being hired by someone previously sacked could be interpreted oddly (by those with a penchant to interpret things in strange ways).
I suppose for Bennett it holds true that being sacked doesn't imply that he can coach either, does it?

Sometimes an astute observer notices that an individuals methods have failed to adapt to modern principles, and rely on outdated metrics for success. That may or may not be true for Bennett, and may or may not be true of others. If those in the know feel that way, then I suppose we should acknowledge their cleanout and change of direction.

senior

Juniors

Lomax explains reason behind shock Eels signing​

It was reported early in the 2024 season that Lomax's Dragons exit had come due to a positional change, with Shane Flanagan moving him from the centres out on to the wing.

However, Lomax has denied these claims, and instead said that the decision was much more internal, telling the A Lot To Talk About podcast that the driving factor behind his 2025 switch was about challenging himself.

"Ultimately, I wanted to go and test myself," Lomax said.

"I feel for me, I’ve served my time here at the Dragons and it’s been good while I’ve been here.

"To go [to Parramatta] was a big decision, I haven’t even been up to Sydney yet, but I believe in their roster.

"They’re not doing as they would have hoped this year, they’ve obviously had a fair bit of injury, but for me, I wanted to go and test myself and I feel for me at that point in time it’s what was right, and I’m looking forward to it, I can’t wait.

"I just want to prove myself right, that’s the main thing, not so much prove people wrong in the whole decision, but I want to prove to myself that the decision I’ve made is for the better.

"I’ll get into reasons why I left, and I guess there’s a time and that will come, but for me I want to test myself… and go and get a little uncomfortable.

"At the start of the year it was like, tossed up, me [not wanting to] play wing, obviously that’s completely bullsh*t, I love playing footy, love chasing the ball, and I will play wherever."

senior

Juniors

Lomax explains reason behind shock Eels signing​

It was reported early in the 2024 season that Lomax's Dragons exit had come due to a positional change, with Shane Flanagan moving him from the centres out on to the wing.

However, Lomax has denied these claims, and instead said that the decision was much more internal, telling the A Lot To Talk About podcast that the driving factor behind his 2025 switch was about challenging himself.

"Ultimately, I wanted to go and test myself," Lomax said.

"I feel for me, I’ve served my time here at the Dragons and it’s been good while I’ve been here.

"To go [to Parramatta] was a big decision, I haven’t even been up to Sydney yet, but I believe in their roster.

"They’re not doing as they would have hoped this year, they’ve obviously had a fair bit of injury, but for me, I wanted to go and test myself and I feel for me at that point in time it’s what was right, and I’m looking forward to it, I can’t wait.

"I just want to prove myself right, that’s the main thing, not so much prove people wrong in the whole decision, but I want to prove to myself that the decision I’ve made is for the better.

"I’ll get into reasons why I left, and I guess there’s a time and that will come, but for me I want to test myself… and go and get a little uncomfortable.

"At the start of the year it was like, tossed up, me [not wanting to] play wing, obviously that’s completely bullsh*t, I love playing footy, love chasing the ball, and I will play wherever."
right wing next to Penisini next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Very true. I suppose that does put a question mark on Antonelli - that he hasn't been fired doesn't imply he CAN coach either.
I didn’t say that implies he can coach. I asked if the fact he’s been given yet another coaching job implies he can coach.
And being hired by someone previously sacked could be interpreted oddly (by those with a penchant to interpret things in strange ways).
I suppose for Bennett it holds true that being sacked doesn't imply that he can coach either, does it?

Sometimes an astute observer notices that an individuals methods have failed to adapt to modern principles, and rely on outdated metrics for success. That may or may not be true for Bennett, and may or may not be true of others. If those in the know feel that way, then I suppose we should acknowledge their cleanout and change of direction.
I suspect you’re not talking about Antonelli.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

Who’s involved in the push for change? Only three of the greatest Parramatta players of all time.

Retired champion Eels Brett Kenny, Ray Price, Eric Grothe Snr, Eric Grothe Jnr, Ben Smith and David Liddiard have all thrown their support behind the Make Parra Matter Again committee who are calling for signatures to force an Extraordinary General Meeting.

The committee has hatched a plan calling on eligible Parramatta Leagues club voting members to sign a petition which allows them to call for an overhaul of the current Leagues Club directors.

If the group is successful in overthrowing the current Parramatta Leagues Club board then they can push to overthrow the Eels directors on the existing Parramatta NRL board.

While board room politics can often make most fans glaze over in this instance given the way the Eels have spectacularly unravelled it’s a significant development.

Given the committee also has the backing of several big-name retired Eels players it also seems destined to gain plenty of traction.

The committee need 200 signatures to call an EGM and are aiming to get it all rock and rolling within the next fortnight.

From there they need to win four seats on the seven-person Parramatta Leagues Club board.

In a statement calling for signatures pushing for the Extraordinary General Meeting, committee member Michael Barrilaro said: “The current administration has consistently fallen short of expectations. We have witnessed a decline in on-field performance, a toxic culture, and a complete disconnect between the club and its supporters. It is clear that a fresh approach is desperately needed.

“The committee is dedicated to restoring the Parramatta Eels to what they believe is their rightful place at the pinnacle of rugby league. They have a clear vision for the Club’s future, backed by a proven track record of success. The ‘Make Parra Matter Again’ plan focuses on three key pillars.

“The first step towards rebuilding the Parramatta Eels is to wrest control from the current governing body. The Club’s constitution currently restricts the power of voting members to hold the board accountable for football performance. This is unacceptable.

“We will fight to change this, giving fans a genuine voice in the direction of the Club. By replacing four directors on the Parramatta Leagues Club board, we can establish a majority and begin the process of overhauling the entire organisation.

“The Parramatta Eels have a rich history filled with legendary players and unforgettable moments. However, in recent years, there has been a growing disconnect between the Club and its former greats.

“We believe that reconnecting with our past is essential to building a successful future. Our committee’s mission is to re-engage with former players, inviting them back into the fold, and leveraging their expertise to mentor and inspire the next generation of Eels.

“By bringing together the best of the past with the promise of the future, we can create a unified Club that is capable of achieving greatness.”