What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if it turns out we build a good lead against the Tigers on Monday, is that an opportunity to shift #beards to fullback for a stint?

Surely we'd only do it under certain circumstances, such as sitting comfortably in a game that's at its back end?

The Colonel

Immortal
Who else has it effected from other clubs? Gasnier rings a bell when he left the dragons to go to France

Gasnier. I am sure it's the same reason that they used for Benji as well. TPA's were behind $BW leaving the Dogs mostly because his contracted without any.

strider

Post Whore
My question is that it was noted on the forum, stagger eel I think, who said that Semi was signed totally under the cap with NO third party agreement at all. Was a new deal negotiated? The NRL need to be involved in TPA's in my opinion as far too many agreements are being made and sponsors are not coughing up the cash when push comes to shove. It's been the main reason for a number of players, not just at Parramatta, leaving long term deals midway through them.

I guess a TPA could have been arranged after the contract was done and dusted. TPAs are meant to be independent of the club so no reason they couldn't be organised separately. Though they do tend to be organised at contract time.

IFR33K

Coach
My question is that it was noted on the forum, stagger eel I think, who said that Semi was signed totally under the cap with NO third party agreement at all. Was a new deal negotiated? The NRL need to be involved in TPA's in my opinion as far too many agreements are being made and sponsors are not coughing up the cash when push comes to shove. It's been the main reason for a number of players, not just at Parramatta, leaving long term deals midway through them.

The past few years or so, before kick off, every player is put up on the big screen with his sponsor. Aren't these sponsors the players third party sponsors?

The Colonel

Immortal
The past few years or so, before kick off, every player is put up on the big screen with his sponsor. Aren't these sponsors the players third party sponsors?

Game day sponsors are much different. If I understand correctly a player can't appear in club colours in any of their advertising.

hindy111

Post Whore
So, if it turns out we build a good lead against the Tigers on Monday, is that an opportunity to shift #beards to fullback for a stint?

Surely we'd only do it under certain circumstances, such as sitting comfortably in a game that's at its back end?

He plays on the wing and does a great job and defends well there.
But in attack i am sure there is no reason why him and Gordon can't swap or use Semi in some set plays like he did last week off Gower.

What makes people think he is worth more if he plays at fullback than on the wing? If he has the same impact on the game. If he performs like he did last week on the wing would he go better at fullback? No reason we can not justify paying him 500k to play on the wing.
You just go for a cheaper fullback-I'd say we have one of the cheaper fullback options in the comp.
As for this year i think Gordon is a good solid fullback, but on the wing he just becomes a safe player who can finish well. His best is at fullback and a lot has to do with his positioning on the filed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree there's no good reason why your most expensive outside back can't be a winger. Semi Radradra is a better player than any of the Cowboys outside backs and probably earns more than them already as well. And they just won a premiership.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think it was ba that said a winger is only worth so much a while ago and hence in the article Semi said he wanted a shot at centre

IFR33K

Coach
I think it was ba that said a winger is only worth so much a while ago and hence in the article Semi said he wanted a shot at centre

That's Been the belief for a very long time. IIRC, even Wayne Bennett has said something similar.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I'm sure a centre is 'only worth so much' as well. They make more tackles than wingers but less carries. And they are less involved in defending against kicks.

Playing wing hasn't stopped Semi Radradra from carrying the ball more than any other player in our team so far this year:

47 runs Radradra
41 Paulo
39 Gutherson
34 Gordon
33 Mannah
32 Edwards
32 Terepo
31 Jennings
30 Moeroa
28 Ma'u (only two games)
27 Takairangi
25 Scott
23 Wicks (only two games)
15 Norman
11 Gower (only one game)
10 Alvaro (only one game)
10 Foran (only two games)
9 Peats (only two games)
7 Pritchard
6 Kelly (only one game)
2 De Gois (only one game)

eels_fan

First Grade

Think that's just a club sponsor and each gets allocated a player for the year.

The lesser known players wouldn't have TPAs

Fanbase

Juniors
I'm sure a centre is 'only worth so much' as well. They make more tackles than wingers but less carries. And they are less involved in defending against kicks.

Playing wing hasn't stopped Semi Radradra from carrying the ball more than any other player in our team so far this year:

47 runs Radradra
41 Paulo
39 Gutherson
34 Gordon
33 Mannah
32 Edwards
32 Terepo
31 Jennings
30 Moeroa
28 Ma'u (only two games)
27 Takairangi
25 Scott
23 Wicks (only two games)
15 Norman
11 Gower (only one game)
10 Alvaro (only one game)
10 Foran (only two games)
9 Peats (only two games)
7 Pritchard
6 Kelly (only one game)
2 De Gois (only one game)

you really do not know footy do you. you live on stats and think they tell the story. i love you cause your good to make us laugh

Avenger

Immortal
Game day sponsors are much different. If I understand correctly a player can't appear in club colours in any of their advertising.

There is some stupid rules out there. If I were in charge I would seriously consider getting rid of the salary cap and putting in a players draft. That way with natural attrition and market forces many of the struggling Sydney clubs which we all agree there is too many would die or be forced to relocate.

Fanbase

Juniors
There is some stupid rules out there. If I were in charge I would seriously consider getting rid of the salary cap and putting in a players draft. That way with natural attrition and market forces many of the struggling Sydney clubs which we all agree there is too many would die or be forced to relocate.

yeah agree. the different tiers of salary cap make little sense

Avenger

Immortal
yeah agree. the different tiers of salary cap make little sense

Think about it. The only Sydney teams that would survive would be Parra, Canterbury, Roosters and Souths and possibly Saints. Manly would probably be forced to go to the Central Coast, The Sharks to WA, Penrith and Tigers would merge and go to Central QLD and we would be set as a game for the next 50 years. The draft would then be a centerpiece in the off season just like the NFL. It would also ensure that if players did chase the money the teams on the bottom of the table would have first crack which would curb the inflation of player payments.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you really do not know footy do you. you live on stats and think they tell the story. i love you cause your good to make us laugh

Stats don't tell THE story, they tell A story, and that story is more provable than any of the other stories running around in your head.

That's why I quote stats. Are you saying Semi Radradra doesn't carry the ball more than any other player in our team? Or are you just a troll criticising one opinion without offering one of your own?

If you wanted to criticise these stats without looking like the dope you are, you might offer something valid, such as "Just because Radradra makes the most runs from the wing doesn't mean he wouldn't make even more runs at fullback" or "Most of the runs wingers make are donkey work, and beneath such an important player as Semi Radradra."

But you don't offer these kinds of observations because you're too f**king stupid. You were probably against putting Jennings on his side of the field because he would steal tries that rightfully belonged to Semi.

I like the idea of a draft, but you simply can't do that (the draft) unless the players agree to it.

If there's no salary cap, how does a player draft work? Are you talking about a draft for juniors or players from other sports? That is more feasible legally.

If you're talking about a draft for transfers among NRL clubs, with no salary cap, who would that work? And what would the point be.

I prefer a salary cap with an internal draft. When a player seeks to sign for a new club, the terms of the proposed deal are made known, and any club higher in the draft order can take the player for the same terms. That way, if players / clubs lie understate the true value of the contract, another club can take the player. But again, none of this can happen without the agreement of the PA.

whall15

Coach
It's Triple M so a Bolivian salt flat level of pinch of salt but...

While the rumours continue to build about Anthony Watmough's retirement, Triple M's James Hooper has revealed that insurance paperwork is being processed regarding Watmough's chronic injuries.

When asked by Hooper about his playing future, Watmough maintained that he is still at Parramatta and training, but there remains doubt about his ability to return to the field.

"The paperwork has gone in for an insurance claim for Anthony Watmough in terms of his chronic injuries," Hooper said.

"There are a couple of doctors that are suggesting that Choc has got so many injuries that he should no longer be playing the game of rugby league.

"It can take 6 - 12 weeks for these types of claims to be processed."

In terms of the impact on the salary cap, Hooper explained that if a player is forced to retire due to a chronic injury, this money comes off the salary cap of the following year. Listen to the report below.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/3/anthony-watmough-update/

If I'm reading that correctly and Triple M are right (which they probably aren't) that means that we get 2x Watmough's salary off the cap next year. (This years deducted for insurance purposes and next year's also taken off because he won't be there).

If that's true (and it seems ridiculous) then we'd be able to be incredibly aggressive recruitment wise with a crazy amount of cap space.

Fanbase

Juniors
Stats don't tell THE story, they tell A story, and that story is more provable than any of the other stories running around in your head.

That's why I quote stats. Are you saying Semi Radradra doesn't carry the ball more than any other player in our team? Or are you just a troll criticising one opinion without offering one of your own?

If you wanted to criticise these stats without looking like the dope you are, you might offer something valid, such as "Just because Radradra makes the most runs from the wing doesn't mean he wouldn't make even more runs at fullback" or "Most of the runs wingers make are donkey work, and beneath such an important player as Semi Radradra."

But you don't offer these kinds of observations because you're too f**king stupid. You were probably against putting Jennings on his side of the field because he would steal tries that rightfully belonged to Semi.

i love getting a rise out of you :D as for your stats look at someone like craig stapleton who had splendid stats but was still an average first grade player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts