What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parra47

Juniors
i love getting a rise out of you :D as for your stats look at someone like craig stapleton who had splendid stats but was still an average first grade player

He had a high work rate in attack and defence but yeah was average. Solid bench player though.

He had a high work rate in attack and defence but yeah was average. Solid bench player though.

I was really impressed with him when he first signed, but he certainly came back to the pack. I think he might have given Hoppa Snr a clip in the ear once too (might be mistaken).

strider

Post Whore
It's Triple M so a Bolivian salt flat level of pinch of salt but...

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/3/anthony-watmough-update/

If I'm reading that correctly and Triple M are right (which they probably aren't) that means that we get 2x Watmough's salary off the cap next year. (This years deducted for insurance purposes and next year's also taken off because he won't be there).

If that's true (and it seems ridiculous) then we'd be able to be incredibly aggressive recruitment wise with a crazy amount of cap space.

Im pretty sure we dont get x2 off cap in one year

Forty20

First Grade
It's Triple M so a Bolivian salt flat level of pinch of salt but...

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/3/anthony-watmough-update/

If I'm reading that correctly and Triple M are right (which they probably aren't) that means that we get 2x Watmough's salary off the cap next year. (This years deducted for insurance purposes and next year's also taken off because he won't be there).

If that's true (and it seems ridiculous) then we'd be able to be incredibly aggressive recruitment wise with a crazy amount of cap space.

To echo strider, I don't think we get 2x the figure off...just the value of the contract itself. However, that wasn't the most interesting tidbit to come out of the show from James Hooper.

In a separate segment they got around to talking about the entire media mess with Semi, his eligibility for Origin and his supposed threats of walking out. Inadvertently or not, Hooper completely undermined the stance of fellow News Limited journalist Paul Kent when he went on to explain how he had investigated (isn't that an amazing thing?) the talk of Semi's supposed ill-content about Origin non-selection or TPAs.

Hooper ended up dismissing the rumours and came to the conclusion that neither were the root of the problem and rather it was all agitation from Radradra's manager because he messed up by locking in Semi long term on a deal that now doesn't reflect his market value.

Hooper ended up dismissing the rumours and came to the conclusion that neither were the root of the problem and rather it was all agitation from Radradra's manager because he messed up by locking in Semi long term on a deal that now doesn't reflect his market value.

:)

Yep, I was wondering when someone was going to note that the agent is the bloke who controls the flow of 'private' info and has a vested interest in trying to stir shit up in this case. And, of course, the agent presumably gets a commission on any new TP or other deals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The manager wasn't to know he would become the game's best winger within 18 months of playing his first NRL game. He should just be excited about how big the player's next contract will be.

But he's a disingenuous merkin if he thinks he can bring that next contract forward by two years. He certainly can do so, but then he'll kill his client's chance at jagging Australian citizenship. He could always go to France though, but EU citizenship isn't worth what it used to be.

The manager wasn't to know he would become the game's best winger within 18 months of playing his first NRL game. He should just be excited about how big the player's next contract will be.

But he's a disingenuous merkin if he thinks he can bring that next contract forward by two years. He certainly can do so, but then he'll kill his client's chance at jagging Australian citizenship. He could always go to France though, but EU citizenship isn't worth what it used to be.

It's the length of the deal that the manager likely regrets.

hindy111

Post Whore
Phil Gould wrote an article about Semi- Reckons he is the best player in our team and can see him up there with the best ever to play the game. Says its been 50yrs since he has seen a winger of his quality and that is saying something.
Peter Sterling also mentioned how he views Semi along side Grothe. Keep in mind grothe was playing against a lot smaller men where some guys would be training a lot harder and could be a wide gap on the way each player took to the game..
Now days everyone is a professional athlete, and if you do not train as hard and watch diet you simply wont last in the NRL. To stand out like Semi is - SIMPLY AMAZING.
I had my Doubts on Semi. Thought he would always have to many errors in him, but how much has he progressed since coming into first grade at the end of 2013. He has had only 52 games in first grade. Not even two full seasons! Can only get better.

hindy111

Post Whore

If i was Para in good Faith id give Semi an extra 100k per season for the remainder of his contract.I am sure there would be 3rd party deals coming soon as well with his exposure.

I would like to think Semi is not to greedy, as Parra went out and spotted him.

IFR33K

Coach

Not only is he the best winger in the game, but dollar for dollar, I dare say he's the best player in the game.

His manager seems to be taking his frustrations out on the wrong people/organisations. He should be looking a little closer to home.

Semi is probably one of the most marketable players in the game. If his manager wanted to secure more dollars for his client, he should be working overtime in securing TPA's.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
With Watmough wouldn't it be the 2 * salary off the cap just mean his 2016 contract plus what ever his 2017 is. So it could free up $1m to 1.5 million. This may be what they are meaning.

It may be one why we are holding off negotiating with Norman just yet. How we structure his contract offer depends on what is available in 2017. We may front load his offer. But the media bends the truth

forward pass

Coach
So back to the Semi article - so he has split up with his wife/partner? That is sad news if true.

That could have something to do with any disillusionment he may have.

strider

Post Whore
With Watmough wouldn't it be the 2 * salary off the cap just mean his 2016 contract plus what ever his 2017 is. So it could free up $1m to 1.5 million. This may be what they are meaning.

It may be one why we are holding off negotiating with Norman just yet. How we structure his contract offer depends on what is available in 2017. We may front load his offer. But the media bends the truth

Itd be whatever he was due in 2016 off the 2016 cap ... then whatever he was due in 2017 off the 2017 cap

Itd be whatever he was due in 2016 off the 2016 cap ... then whatever he was due in 2017 off the 2017 cap

I reckon the article may be alluding to a particular provision on the cap rules regarding what happens in a player suffers a career ending injury in year 201X, and never plays a game in that season (or what happens to the proportion of their salary for games that they are 'retired'). I guess the player's salary for the current year is still counted in 201X, but you get relief in 201X+1. So it is possible that we'd get a cap concession next year (relating to 2016 salary) and be rid of his 2017 salary. As the full cap rules are not made public, this is only guesswork.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If i was Para in good Faith id give Semi an extra 100k per season for the remainder of his contract.

I'm sure we'd be happy to frontload an extension, but f**ked if we should be doing anything in good faith for nothing back. Players and their managers have been taking advantage of our club for too long. The best ones are no exception.

jk13

First Grade
I would be happy if we restructured semis contract and gave him some more, but on the condition he sacks the merkin manager haha

Status
Not open for further replies.